Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2021, 07:27 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times

Advertisements

We bought three mechanical timers for inside lights at Walmart, very cheap, a few years ago. They are almost silent at first but over time you can start to hear them. They are mechanical, lol. I am wondering if anyone has bought some that stay quiet? I have sensitive hearing and I can hear the tick tick tick when the room is quiet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 07:46 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
We bought three mechanical timers for inside lights at Walmart, very cheap, a few years ago. They are almost silent at first but over time you can start to hear them. They are mechanical, lol. I am wondering if anyone has bought some that stay quiet? I have sensitive hearing and I can hear the tick tick tick when the room is quiet.
There are some digital models that are quiet.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There are some digital models that are quiet.
I will take a look at Amazon. When we bought the current ones I think we picked the cheapest. Not the best choice.

Edit: A quick search found a few. More expensive but quiet. Some or all have batteries to keep the time in a power failure.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:30 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I will take a look at Amazon. When we bought the current ones I think we picked the cheapest. Not the best choice.

Edit: A quick search found a few. More expensive but quiet. Some or all have batteries to keep the time in a power failure.
We have one but switched back to the traditional mechanical timer. My timer has issues. If I press the power button to turn on the lights early and turn them off then for some reason the timer isn’t activated. Not such an issue with the mechanical timer. The digital timer also has preset settings one can use instead.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:39 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
We've converted all of our old mechanical light timers to Wyze plugs (about $15 on amazon). They allow advanced programing (i.e. on/off at dawn/dusk, which changes depending on the time of the year). The app is fairly easy to use. We have ... probably ... 20 of these little guys at this point. With out travel schedule and bouncing between homes, we like having lights on. There are probably other choices, but upgrade to connected plugs and you wont look back.

An alternative is smart bulbs in lamps - we went this route for awhile but found the plugs to be significantly easier and less fussy.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:41 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
make sure the times work on two wires ..many require 3 so the timer mechanism has a constant source of power

Old 12-05-2021, 08:48 AM

Ok thanks for all the replies.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 691,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
We've converted all of our old mechanical light timers to Wyze plugs (about $15 on amazon). They allow advanced programing (i.e. on/off at dawn/dusk, which changes depending on the time of the year). The app is fairly easy to use. We have ... probably ... 20 of these little guys at this point. With out travel schedule and bouncing between homes, we like having lights on. There are probably other choices, but upgrade to connected plugs and you wont look back.

An alternative is smart bulbs in lamps - we went this route for awhile but found the plugs to be significantly easier and less fussy.
This is what I was going to suggest, although I do have some smart bulbs for the lights that aren’t run off outlets that my son seems to LOVE to leave on.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We have one but switched back to the traditional mechanical timer. My timer has issues. If I press the power button to turn on the lights early and turn them off then for some reason the timer isn’t activated. Not such an issue with the mechanical timer. The digital timer also has preset settings one can use instead.
I can hear the mechanical timers, too, but that’s OK because I only use them occasionally, when we’re away. There are even mechanical units that go on and off randomly, to make it less obvious that the lights go on and off at certain times. Using several timers set on different lights, with some overlapping times, also helps.

None of this applies to when you’re home, but it’s relevant when on vacation.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:35 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Bought a few of these-
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...-203678095-_-N

…several years ago for Chrismakah lights. They have an internal battery to keep the program(s) you input. The battery is so good that when I pull them out the following year they still show the correct time. They can be programmed for dawn-to-dusk, random, and/or specific on/off times. And they’re inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House