Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 06:12 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times

Advertisements

I would contact the company you've dealt with before. Just because you can't find a replacement, a professional might. They know people that know people....

And, as suggested above, add a main shut-off valve to the list.

as for cost, that depends on the area of the country you live in. Around here (north central PA) that much money would be plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 11:59 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,694,145 times
Save a few thousand for some fun for you both. Take a trip somewhere. Sorry about your mom. Same boat here sadly.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:50 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You would be smart to have the plumber or handy man install shut off valves where ever you have water so that if something needs to be worked on, you only shut off water in that room, such as one for the bathroom and another for the kitchen. They'll be shutting off water to the house anyway, do it all at once. Trust me on this. You don't want to have to keep shutting off the water to the house if you end up having a leak in the kitchen later on. It's very easy to do yourself. Hub and I did it at our last house. I love to solder.

You may want to think about redoing the whole tub by doing one of those one piece enclosures while you have the money. It could be money well spent depending on what's there now, such as tile that does not have water resistant wall board. My parents tub tile corroded back in the 80's, house was built in 67. The enclosures are also not hard to do if you're handy. Then the wall will be open to deal with the tub water lines which you may need access to anyway. I don't have experience with a slab, we had a crawl space.

With your wife's bed, is there any way insurance would cover it? You should look into it. Insurance companies cover hospital beds when people need them in their house, who knows, they may pay some or all of this bed.
We’re considering a bath replacement for her health. The enclosure is lined with marble slabs. Jobs I can do myself are limited by my shoulder and my schedule. Injured my shoulder in the Navy. My schedule is horrible. Starting on a Tuesday I work 11pm-7am for 7 days straight followed by 2 days off, Thursday 3pm-11pm 7 days straight followed by 2 days off, Saturday 7am-3pm 6 days straight followed by 4 days off (our one weekend a month), and then repeat rotation. Wife has health problems so she is extremely limited on what she can do to help me. Much of my time off is household chores like cleaning and laundry for her. As for the bed, we looked into insurance but they wouldn’t cover the bed. They also don’t cover hearing aids and so I got them through the VA. One thing I don’t like about the VA is how easily they can change your appointment made months ago. I was suppose to go in January 11 for replacement hearing aids but the audiologist decided to take off that day and my appointment was pushed back a month.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:31 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We’re considering a bath replacement for her health. The enclosure is lined with marble slabs. Jobs I can do myself are limited by my shoulder and my schedule. Injured my shoulder in the Navy. My schedule is horrible. Starting on a Tuesday I work 11pm-7am for 7 days straight followed by 2 days off, Thursday 3pm-11pm 7 days straight followed by 2 days off, Saturday 7am-3pm 6 days straight followed by 4 days off (our one weekend a month), and then repeat rotation. Wife has health problems so she is extremely limited on what she can do to help me. Much of my time off is household chores like cleaning and laundry for her. As for the bed, we looked into insurance but they wouldn’t cover the bed. They also don’t cover hearing aids and so I got them through the VA. One thing I don’t like about the VA is how easily they can change your appointment made months ago. I was suppose to go in January 11 for replacement hearing aids but the audiologist decided to take off that day and my appointment was pushed back a month.

I'm so sorry that you have so much on your plate. You really do not have time to deal with anything else on your plate.

I also have health and back issues and am limited to what I can do but I am still able to do my share in the house. Normally I sit on an ice pack, take my meds with coffee, come here then when I'm able to, I put laundry in. Some nights I'll already have the washer set up to go or will run it so that all I have to do is throw it in the dryer and get the 2nd going if I have another. I come back to an ice pack, putting my feet up for an hour or however long my back needs before being able to get up and do dishes. If I'm cooking, I normally do that during the day too in stages because I can only stand so long. I know how much I can do in a day, it's all about making it easy on me but still being able to contribute. It sounds like your wife isn't able to even do that so it falls on you in addition to working a hectic, full time job.

You really need to do those shut off valves at the same time. As I said, bathroom and kitchen, add your outside faucet. It will make your life so much easier. Also have him do the tub drain and stems.

With the bathroom, were you thinking of a jacuzzi or jetted tub? We have a jacuzzi, no clue why the builder didn't put a larger hot water heater in because it gives us barely enough warm water to fill the tub. Forget about showering after because there is no hot water until it reheats so keep that into consideration if you're considering it. Honestly, I used it when we first built the house but have not used it in years.

Insurance not covering hearing aids is a peeve of mine. My hub has some too due to head and neck radiation. They're not cheap. I couldn't find an oral cancer charity that would help with the cost or that had a place that did a discount. It's soured me on "charities" especially the various cancer ones.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:39 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm so sorry that you have so much on your plate. You really do not have time to deal with anything else on your plate.

I also have health and back issues and am limited to what I can do but I am still able to do my share in the house. Normally I sit on an ice pack, take my meds with coffee, come here then when I'm able to, I put laundry in. Some nights I'll already have the washer set up to go or will run it so that all I have to do is throw it in the dryer and get the 2nd going if I have another. I come back to an ice pack, putting my feet up for an hour or however long my back needs before being able to get up and do dishes. If I'm cooking, I normally do that during the day too in stages because I can only stand so long. I know how much I can do in a day, it's all about making it easy on me but still being able to contribute. It sounds like your wife isn't able to even do that so it falls on you in addition to working a hectic, full time job.

You really need to do those shut off valves at the same time. As I said, bathroom and kitchen, add your outside faucet. It will make your life so much easier. Also have him do the tub drain and stems.

With the bathroom, were you thinking of a jacuzzi or jetted tub? We have a jacuzzi, no clue why the builder didn't put a larger hot water heater in because it gives us barely enough warm water to fill the tub. Forget about showering after because there is no hot water until it reheats so keep that into consideration if you're considering it. Honestly, I used it when we first built the house but have not used it in years.

Insurance not covering hearing aids is a peeve of mine. My hub has some too due to head and neck radiation. They're not cheap. I couldn't find an oral cancer charity that would help with the cost or that had a place that did a discount. It's soured me on "charities" especially the various cancer ones.
Wife is 53. At 13 she had the scoliosis rod inserted, at 16 te doctor said the rod had to be removed, at 39 she needed 4 screws and 2 rods inserted to hold her spine where a disc blew out completely. Before she was 50 she had a partial knee replacement on her right knee, full knee replacement on her left knee, and now may need a full replacement on her right knee. She is so small that the doctor had to send off to Japan for the knee replacements. She stands 4 feet 10 inches and her ring finger is size 3 1/4. That’s to give you an idea of how small are her bones. She does try to do for herself. She does her own laundry, she tries to change the bedding herself, we have a dust mop and a wet pad mop for the floor, and she does the towels. I do my laundry and help with the vacuuming. I also do dishes, bedding, dusting, and anything else she feels she can’t do that needs to be done. She wants to do as much as she can so she won’t feel useless (her words). Most of her day is heavily medicated and laying on ice packs.

We aren’t considering tub jets because of potential of mold and other growth. Our city water is very hard with minerals that quickly build up on faucet nozzles and shower heads. When she does soak in the tub she’s in there no more than 5 to 10 minutes. Much longer and she has trouble getting out.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:23 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,637 times
I would still get at least 3 quotes for any work. Your good plumber may jack the price up on you. Make sure they are all licensed and insured. Be careful to have a clear scope of work so you can compare apples to apples. Be careful to address payment and completion schedules in your contract agreements.

Try to prioritize projects and go slowly. You don't have to spend it all or in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House