Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:38 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Having a house is a lot of work and expenses,I wish I am renting a studio now !
Studios can be cool .

You get to cook , entertain guests and sit on the toilet all at once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 10:43 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
All homes in areas that have freeze conditions and are not occupied need freeze alarms. You would have been notified of the drop in temperature at the house immediately.

We had installed a simple one that operated on a 9V battery. We attached a battery pack with eight D cells batteries to provide additional power needed during an extended power outage. It called our cell phones using the home landline which rarely loses power even during major storms and other power outages, including downed trees and power lines.

You may also want to get a remote monitored water shutoff. https://linkdhome.com/articles/best-...shut-off-valve

Old 01-10-2022, 01:40 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
All homes in areas that have freeze conditions and are not occupied need freeze alarms. You would have been notified of the drop in temperature at the house immediately.

We had installed a simple one that operated on a 9V battery. We attached a battery pack with eight D cells batteries to provide additional power needed during an extended power outage. It called our cell phones using the home landline which rarely loses power even during major storms and other power outages, including downed trees and power lines.

You may also want to get a remote monitored water shutoff. https://linkdhome.com/articles/best-...shut-off-valve
Freeze alarms/auto notification have their uses, but if no one can reach the house to deal with whatever the problem is, they won't prevent damage. I've been involved with several types of auto notification alarms over the years but the real problem ended up being responding to the house when they did go off. Once I was the person a neighbor's low temp/freeze alarm notified. They were out of state. The idea was that I could get to the house in a timely manner. Well, there was at least 6' of hardpacked snow and storm damaged trees blocking their half mile driveway. The phone-based auto alarm continued to call and warn me about the temperature for 2 months...every 15 minutes 24/7. There was no way to cancel the alarm remotely, only at the transmitter in the house. Obviously it was a less sophisticated arrangement. Never never again.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-10-2022 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 02:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Studios can be cool .

You get to cook , entertain guests and sit on the toilet all at once
I dont intend to entertain in a studio,there are plenty pf public places to meet-bars,cafes,malls.
But a loft would be nice,but we dont have lofts in TX

Old 01-11-2022, 11:12 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
One caution.. a heat pump (mini split) will lose efficiency when it gets very cold. You can google and find the temperatures where they work well but I think its mainly above freezing temps. If it got cold enough to freeze pipes in the house, that might also be in the range where the heat pump may not work as well as you would like. Pex is good..

Scares me to think of my infloor heating breaking a pipe as it sounds hard to fix. But.. I think these generally have under 10 gallons of fluid in the system possibly limiting damage, could be wrong.
That's old info. They are installing mini splits up here in VT and NH these days.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 5,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That's old info. They are installing mini splits up here in VT and NH these days.
Nice! I was a little worried after reading some comments but you have calmed my fears! Glad to know our contractor is not leading us down the wrong path. He said he has other clients in the poconos heated solely using mini splits and they are working out very well. We will also have smart thermostats so we can turn up the heat with our phones before driving up to start getting the house to a comfortable temperature before our arrival.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 5,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Interesting. I wonder how much is the fancy one that's shuts off water for you costs...

So with PEX, what are the chances our pipes will still burst? We also plan on keeping the house heated at 40 degrees minimum once our mini splits are installed.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:53 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVacationer View Post
Interesting. I wonder how much is the fancy one that's shuts off water for you costs...

So with PEX, what are the chances our pipes will still burst? We also plan on keeping the house heated at 40 degrees minimum once our mini splits are installed.
Be careful...depending on where the plumbing runs in the structure (walls and crawls), keeping the rooms' interior at 40 may not be warm enough.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-11-2022 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 06:46 PM

319 posts, read 199,603 times
Offering simple commiserations. Last March, I woke at 5am, put my feet out of bed to go to the bathroom and stepped into 6" of water. The water line running to the toilet tank broke. I never knew how much pressure those lines exerted until I reached down to turn the valve off and was almost blasted to the far wall.

We had a restoration company come in. Thank Bob we are built on concrete. Still, they tore out all the flooring, put what furniture we salvaged onto blocks, tore out all the baseboard and set up at least three heated dehumidifiers in each room. I'm not sure why the heat was necessary, but it raised the temperature inside our condo to 110 degrees. Thankfully, we have an RV we could use as a bug out camp during the four days the place was was being dehumidified and baked. Each day, a reading was taken to make sure the walls were drying. After that, it was several months of waiting for us as well. We didn't want to stay in the RV and put plastic on the concrete floor. IT WAS HELL.

Such an event shouldn't be considered a do-it-yerself task unless you get guidance from professionals. Thanks be that you aren't having to live with the damage. Even when you are assured that the insurance will cover it and professionals will fix it, the psychology of the event can be traumatic.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:01 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Be careful...depending on where the plumbing runs in the structure (walls and crawls), keeping the rooms' interior at 40 may not be warm enough.
I agree totally. I had a MIL apartment at one end of a historic home. I left for several days to visit my folks but left the heat on at 55. There were no power outages but the wind blew pretty hard against the kitchen wall. The pipes froze up (unbeknownst to me) and after bursting, my landlady and I spent a fun evening mopping up the kitchen floor. Fun times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House