Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 06:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times

Advertisements

The pass through window above the sink was removed by a previous owner. This held an actual window. The portion where the window track was had trim tacked over it. Now the trim is removed, what's the best way to patch the damage from the removal of the track?

It's the 2 sides and the top, about 3 inches wide and uneven in depth (the bottom is finished). Can I just use plaster or joint compound to fill in and then paint? I've done some looking at DIY sites, but all the "solutions" do not address the track issue.

I can't upload photos. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 07:12 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
Need to see what’s existing before giving advice.

Do the three sides that need to be patched have corner beads on all of the corners?

Are your walls plaster or drywall (Sheetrock) ? A photo would be key!

Old 01-18-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Need to see what’s existing before giving advice.

Do the three sides that need to be patched have corner beads on all of the corners?

Are your walls plaster or drywall (Sheetrock) ? A photo would be key!
I can't post a pic.

I believe this wall is plaster. The track is right in the middle of the pass through, about equidistant from each wall. There's a dark beige, hard, unevenly applied substance that looks to have been the 'glue' that the track was set in. This was the pass through window that went to the sunporch, which was converted into an indoor living space (1970s Florida ranch).

I hope that helps! I'm trying to avoid cutting it and replacing with drywall as that would be a difficult job. I'd rather patch, sand and paint if at all possible.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:20 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I can't post a pic.
Of course you can.

Take a photo then upload

Old 01-18-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Of course you can.

Take a photo then upload
Right, I get that. But CD will not let me upload, says I do not have permission. YMMV.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Right, I get that. But CD will not let me upload, says...
Not buying it.
Figure out what the problem is then upload like every other user can do here.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:47 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
Quote:
I can't post a pic.

I believe this wall is plaster. The track is right in the middle of the pass through, about equidistant from each wall. There's a dark beige, hard, unevenly applied substance that looks to have been the 'glue' that the track was set in. This was the pass through window that went to the sunporch, which was converted into an indoor living space (1970s Florida ranch).

I hope that helps! I'm trying to avoid cutting it and replacing with drywall as that would be a difficult job. I'd rather patch, sand and paint if at all possible.
If you have corner beads to follow and just need to fill in some areas, you could buy and mix some Structo-Lite, aUSG product, that’s available in the big box stores and it’s very easy to work with and bonds well to plaster and many other materials.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
If you have corner beads to follow and just need to fill in some areas, you could buy and mix some Structo-Lite, aUSG product, that’s available in the big box stores and it’s very easy to work with and bonds well to plaster and many other materials.
Thank you that's helpful.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
You can "go advanced" then go to "Manage attachments" and upload photos from your computer or phone to here.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:31 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
It would probably help if we knew the age of the house, if this was an original window, and what the material of the “track” is made of.

If the “track” is still there, and not removable, I’d case the opening with flat jamb and matching casing that is around doors and windows (if there’s enough room or not too big a gap).

But, if the “track” can be removed (and it should), you’ll be left with flat jamb- then finish with casing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House