Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 11:20 PM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Yep. A trick that sometimes works is to squirt a couple ounces of dishwashing liquid followed by a bucket of hot water, but the closet auger is more reliable. Don't waste time cranking it though, push and pull the head in and out once you have the sleeve in far enough you won't scrape the visible porcelain in the throat of the toilet."

Hmmmm...

Try cleaning out the bowl of the toilet normally, then using a magic eraser on the "scratches" - which are more likely deposits of metal.

Again, I do bleach (soak overnight in bleach). But, that's a good idea. Ajax (or similar) works. I like cleaning my toilet as it keeps me down to earth and humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 08:11 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Does the Dawn/hot water trick also work on a kitchen sick? I have a disposal in the sink but it doesn't work. I don't use the garbage disposal but small pieces of food do get down as careful as I ca be....but the water drains slowly.
I use Dawn and hot water every time I run my garbage disposal, just to keep things moving and clean. I never get it clogged up, but I try not to put much food down the drain either.

But, I've never used Dawn or bleach in a toilet. Never heard of that before.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:34 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
I don’t think there’s anything about bleach that would break down a clog.

Letting water sit overnight would do just as much to help soften a toilet clog.

Using something that is grease-cutting would help with the kitchen grease clog but I didn’t get the impression this was that kind of clog exactly :-)

Old 02-10-2022, 08:44 AM

640 posts, read 451,012 times
OP, I hope by now that toilet clog is gone, one way or another. Unless you prefer the aroma while we are debating the bleach and such. . .

Old 02-10-2022, 08:58 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don’t think there’s anything about bleach that would break down a clog.

Letting water sit overnight would do just as much to help soften a toilet clog.

Using something that is grease-cutting would help with the kitchen grease clog but I didn’t get the impression this was that kind of clog exactly :-)
Put a couple fingers in bleach for five minutes and you may discover how it rips apart skin cells.

Bleach will work, muriatic acid would probably work, dishwasher soap would work. Dishwashing liquid is just generally no big deal if it overflows. The combination of grease cutting (breaking certain bonds) AND slipperiness works surprisingly well in many cases. YMMV

Old 02-10-2022, 09:18 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Quote:
Put a couple fingers in bleach for five minutes and you may discover how it rips apart skin cells.

Bleach will work, muriatic acid would probably work, dishwasher soap would work. Dishwashing liquid is just generally no big deal if it overflows. The combination of grease cutting (breaking certain bonds) AND slipperiness works surprisingly well in many cases. YMMV
Bleach does NOT rip apart skin cells. I have done a LOT of hand washing using bleach in my time. I have scrubbed a lot of mildewed and moldy surfaces inside and out using bleach, including bathtubs and toilets. I live in Western Washington. I have washed my vehicles and horse trailer and HOUSE with it to kill the green mildew of winter in Washington.

I regularly have soaked my fingernails in bleach to make them white again after gardening and working outside.

I have treated human and animal skin and foot fungal infections with fairly strong bleach soaking solutions.

Bleach does have some handling risks. You don't want to get it in eyes or use in an unventilated area, because the fumes can be strong. But it does not "rip apart skin".

Will it dissolve a paper or poop clog? I dunno. Most of the internet results I see using bleach also recommend using HOT water with it.... the hot water may be just as effective as the bleach.... but go for it if you think it helps .

Old 02-10-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Bleach does NOT rip apart skin cells. I have done a LOT of hand washing using bleach in my time. I have scrubbed a lot of mildewed and moldy surfaces inside and out using bleach, including bathtubs and toilets. I live in Western Washington. I have washed my vehicles and horse trailer and HOUSE with it to kill the green mildew of winter in Washington.

I regularly have soaked my fingernails in bleach to make them white again after gardening and working outside.

I have treated human and animal skin and foot fungal infections with fairly strong bleach soaking solutions.

Bleach does have some handling risks. You don't want to get it in eyes or use in an unventilated area, because the fumes can be strong. But it does not "rip apart skin".

Will it dissolve a paper or poop clog? I dunno. Most of the internet results I see using bleach also recommend using HOT water with it.... the hot water may be just as effective as the bleach.... but go for it if you think it helps .
The concentration of bleach, temperature, and time spent in contact all enter in to the reaction. Your mildew would not be killed if bleach didn't damage it. If my hands are in contact with a bleach solution for any length of time, I notice unpleasant changes. YMMV. The standard MSDS states that skin "burn" is a result of bleach contact. Hair that is bleached gets lighter in color and fragile because of the action on keratin -which is also a component of skin cells. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a caustic, and like lye causes saponification (turning fats into a soapy substance).

A quick search found this paper giving some of the mechanisms involved:
https://www.forp.usp.br/bdj/bdj13(2)...7/v13n2a07.pdf

In an overflow situation, I'd rather have Dawn on my floor and throw rugs than bleach, but bleach can work in clearing clogs (as can the old standby of heated lye).

Old 02-10-2022, 02:51 PM

52 posts, read 31,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
That's worked for me.

I was thinking I'd need to call a plumber and I looked around online; someone recommended very warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid, which I poured into the bowl after the water level lowered quite a bit. Got the water very warm (but not super hot) added a fair amount of Dawn, and let it set. I think I had to do it more than once, but it did work.

That method has bailed me out a couple of times. I don't usually have an issue with clogs but there was a while there (years ago) where I bought Charmin ultra-strong and the clogs started after that. Then I heard a plumber say that he got more business from people who used the ultra-strong version, so I switched back to the ultra-soft brand.
My sons' toilet is always clogging. Used gallon drano, auger, plungers, etc. My oldest I think just uses so much toilet paper. We now buy the Scott 1000 single ply thin stuff for their bathroom.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmaxus View Post
My sons' toilet is always clogging. Used gallon drano, auger, plungers, etc. My oldest I think just uses so much toilet paper. We now buy the Scott 1000 single ply thin stuff for their bathroom.
Perhaps the "solution" is that the son has to auger the toilet until it is clear again? Also, without getting graphic, a bidet might go a long way to resolving the use of excess toilet paper.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:47 PM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
The concentration of bleach, temperature, and time spent in contact all enter in to the reaction. Your mildew would not be killed if bleach didn't damage it. If my hands are in contact with a bleach solution for any length of time, I notice unpleasant changes. YMMV. The standard MSDS states that skin "burn" is a result of bleach contact. Hair that is bleached gets lighter in color and fragile because of the action on keratin -which is also a component of skin cells. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is a caustic, and like lye causes saponification (turning fats into a soapy substance).

A quick search found this paper giving some of the mechanisms involved:
https://www.forp.usp.br/bdj/bdj13(2)...7/v13n2a07.pdf

In an overflow situation, I'd rather have Dawn on my floor and throw rugs than bleach, but bleach can work in clearing clogs (as can the old standby of heated lye).

Bleach definitely works.

I was outside bleaching my aggregate concrete to kill moss, algae and mold so that it does not become slippery with winter. I had my nightgown on and I went through 6 gallons of bleach (which I let sit a while and hose off). I had a bunch of bleach splash up off my legs and it sat there several hours and I definitely had a burning rash that took a few days to heal. I'd hate to think what could happen if it sat on my skin any longer. I know it doesn't make sense as I was busy and didn't jump in a bath right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House