Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 01:43 PM

569 posts, read 1,059,154 times

Advertisements

In short: Do cheap laminates over concrete slab work in FL?

We're looking to replace the awful carpet in our bedroom in the next month or so. The subfloor is a concrete slab of a 1 story home in FL.

This being a bedroom, it should not be a wet area, but we do sometimes drip water coming out of the shower. We also let our two elementary school age kids eat while watching tv in the room on occasion. This can easily result in some spills that don't get noticed for an hour or more. A couple small dogs (< 15 lbs) will walk on it as well. My wife also heavily prefers mopping to all other forms of floor care.

Unfortunately, we don't have the $ to get a higher end floor, or pay someone to do the installation, so we've adjusted our expectations accordingly and are looking at the cheaper floating floor options. We were pretty set on LVP but the costs are in the higher end of our budget and we're having difficulty finding the styles that we like (we're not fans of the grey and rustic trends).

In a recent trip to Home Depot, I found laminates that better match our style and they're way cheaper too. I think I could convince my wife to damp mop instead of wet mop with some effort. Can we expect these to hold up for a few years, or would they be a disaster from the get go?

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 02:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Personally, I'd just save up (delay) the install for the better LVT/P.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:41 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Consider hurricanes and flooding. Laminate flooring is relatively cheap and easy to replace after a flood. They’re also easy to maintain.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 AM

185 posts, read 136,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
In short: Do cheap laminates over concrete slab work in FL?

We're looking to replace the awful carpet in our bedroom in the next month or so. The subfloor is a concrete slab of a 1 story home in FL.

This being a bedroom, it should not be a wet area, but we do sometimes drip water coming out of the shower. We also let our two elementary school age kids eat while watching tv in the room on occasion. This can easily result in some spills that don't get noticed for an hour or more. A couple small dogs (< 15 lbs) will walk on it as well. My wife also heavily prefers mopping to all other forms of floor care.

Unfortunately, we don't have the $ to get a higher end floor, or pay someone to do the installation, so we've adjusted our expectations accordingly and are looking at the cheaper floating floor options. We were pretty set on LVP but the costs are in the higher end of our budget and we're having difficulty finding the styles that we like (we're not fans of the grey and rustic trends).

In a recent trip to Home Depot, I found laminates that better match our style and they're way cheaper too. I think I could convince my wife to damp mop instead of wet mop with some effort. Can we expect these to hold up for a few years, or would they be a disaster from the get go?

Any other suggestions?
I've had mixed results from laminates - they are all different. Main problem is warping from moisture - even damp mopping will warp some laminates after a while - even top brands. And no amount of reading reviews or asking sales people will help determine the long-term viability of laminates. Don't get any with a shine to them. They will show everything. If you go with one, make sure to get an extra box in case you need to replace warped pieces in the future.

I like the new vinyls - they stand up much better to any moisture or wear-and-tear. Look at Home Depot if you haven't already - they usually have a few on the discounted end. I've used the cheapest vinyl plank in commercial retail settings and they've been really good in both looks and wear.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I had Pergo for years. It withstood mopping and traffic well, but showed wear after about 12 years of constant use.

Give yourself a few more months of saving and buy LVP. If you are Costco members, look into buying flooring through them. You might save some serious money. Costco uses large local vendors, but you get substantial discounts.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,059,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Personally, I'd just save up (delay) the install for the better LVT/P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I had Pergo for years. It withstood mopping and traffic well, but showed wear after about 12 years of constant use.

Give yourself a few more months of saving and buy LVP. If you are Costco members, look into buying flooring through them. You might save some serious money. Costco uses large local vendors, but you get substantial discounts.
Good recommendations but we're out of time. We've already been putting it off for years and the wife is demanding it be done in the next couple months. Saving up another $600-1000+ dollars to add to a project like this would probably take us about a year and there's no way I can hold her off that long lol. So we're stuck trying to keep the final installed costs to around $4 / sq ft (some flexibility, but $8+ isn't going to fly).

Edit: We're already leaning toward low-to-mid LVP (preferably SPC). I asked about the laminate because it's both much cheaper and has more styles that we like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Consider hurricanes and flooding. Laminate flooring is relatively cheap and easy to replace after a flood. They’re also easy to maintain.
Thankfully, where we live (Tampa Bay) doesn't get many bad hurricanes, though who knows with the weather patterns changing... We've been here 7 years and have had one significant hurricane that didn't do much other than knock down some branches and take out some power lines. Our house is also at 60' elevation, on a grade, and a couple miles from the gulf so flooding shouldn't be a huge issue though it's obviously a possibility. Replacement cost is worth considering but I think my wife may have nixed the laminate idea because of the water sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallots View Post
I've had mixed results from laminates - they are all different. Main problem is warping from moisture - even damp mopping will warp some laminates after a while - even top brands. And no amount of reading reviews or asking sales people will help determine the long-term viability of laminates. Don't get any with a shine to them. They will show everything. If you go with one, make sure to get an extra box in case you need to replace warped pieces in the future.

I like the new vinyls - they stand up much better to any moisture or wear-and-tear. Look at Home Depot if you haven't already - they usually have a few on the discounted end. I've used the cheapest vinyl plank in commercial retail settings and they've been really good in both looks and wear.
Bummer! We're both drawn to the shiny red laminates. I plan to get an extra box or two of whatever we purchase. If you don't mind, what brands / models of laminates have you used / recommend?

Last edited by wsamon; 03-03-2022 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 11:49 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
We've already been putting it off for years and the wife is demanding it be done in the next couple months.

...but I think my wife may have nixed the laminate idea because of the water sensitivity.

Which bring us right back to what I stated previously-
Can't have your cake, and eat it too!

And, if your timeline to stay in this house is several years- why do the floor twice?!

Old 03-03-2022, 12:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Cheap laminate will not hold up to moisture at all. Not at all. In case you didn't catch that, cheap laminate won't hold up to moisture.

If you can't live with the carpet any longer and can't afford decent flooring right now, consider pulling up the carpet, scrubbing the concrete, and just throwing down some inexpensive area rugs until you can afford to do it right.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:33 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
"Cheap" anything won't hold up well. The better laminates will hold up as well as any flooring. I had laminate flooring for over a decade and it's probably still at our previous house.

However, laminates as a whole regardless of price point don't like moisture. If something spills, wipe it up. Wipe up any water. Just like wood, they aren't no/low maintenance. Damp mops may work with wood floors but just use a microfiber mop with a laminate cleaner to prevent streaks.

If you know your tendencies is to let water sit then maybe wood look tile will work for you.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:38 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Is it humid in your area? Laminate right on top of concrete would be a disaster. Put a breathable sub floor in first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House