Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 10:58 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is this in the Austin Hill Country area?
Its over an hour outside of Ausitn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 12:14 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
But Non evasive clumping bamboo? With a 3 or 4 ft deep barrier wall ? I will attach photo of my septic spraying so you can see the green area is where the water hits. I was also considering dwarf sargent crabapple trees.. They only grow about 6ft and the roots do not extend far at all. They are also deemed septic friendly on some websites I have been reading.
Barriers to bamboo spread can be penetrated unless they are solid and seamless and only if they never deteriorate. Plus bamboo can be pushed over or broken off and the nodes will start new plants. Clumping bamboo sounds like it won’t spread but that’s not true everywhere and it’s only true for a short time. I’m worried about the future, possibly when you try to sell or your heirs have to dig it all up and remove the entire mess. Shrubs are so much more practical and stay where you start them. Unless they easily spread by seed then chose something else.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Its over an hour outside of Ausitn
stick with native plant choices

Old 03-20-2022, 12:59 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This part I understand (leech fields, etc)
This is the part that seems ludicrous.
I look forward to learning something new here.
Here's a page from Texas A&M University with some information https://ossf.tamu.edu/spray-distribution/

Old 03-20-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Here's a page from Texas A&M University with some information https://ossf.tamu.edu/spray-distribution/
Thank you for the article. However, my question here is ...would a shrub penetrate a 1 inch PVC pipe line? The shrubs wont be near the heads that spray. In the summer . The water dries up pretty fast . So im banging my head here...

Old 03-20-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
stick with native plant choices
well i have literally a 100 cedar trees in my back yard lol maybe I should just go with those lol

Old 03-20-2022, 04:54 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Thank you for the article. However, my question here is ...would a shrub penetrate a 1 inch PVC pipe line? The shrubs wont be near the heads that spray. In the summer . The water dries up pretty fast . So im banging my head here...
That link was for the poster who wanted more info on spraying from septic systems. I wouldn't think a shrub would penetrate a properly glued PVC pipe. I've never had that happen with the pipes for our sprinkler system.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:22 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
well i have literally a 100 cedar trees in my back yard lol maybe I should just go with those lol
Well, if you’re referring to the “wild” (Oak Bark and Mountain Red) cedars that grow in the Hill Country- they don’t make very “attractive” hedges. As the old story goes, ranchers would trans-plant seedlings next to fence lines to create windbreaks for cattle. And since they were at the fence line, they would become “living” fence posts.

Check my previous post for a list of good hedge plantings that are native, and well suited for your region.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Cedars steal water. Some places in Texas have cleared cedars and had springs rejuvenate on their property.

Bamboo can be a nightmare!

You're in a great part of Texas!

Old 03-20-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Cedars steal water. Some places in Texas have cleared cedars and had springs rejuvenate on their property.

Bamboo can be a nightmare!

You're in a great part of Texas!
Thank you! I think I am ditching the Bamboo and going with Hydrangea Trees .. Shallow roots... and I believe they will be a good fit. Just going to need 100 ft worth of them.. I went out there and did some measuring... These wont come near the PVC for the septic... They will still be 15 ft away from the water line. I am not putting any near the main reseviors so I think ill be good... Even if the disaster scenario hapopened... replacing a 1 inch PVC would be easy...Only thing now is stopping the deer lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House