Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 03:14 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My inlaws did the snowbird thing for a few years. Bought a small fl condo and kept their house in KY. Eventually they move to FL full time.

The driving force was my MILs health. She has issues and the warmer climate helped.
Did the condo sit empty half the year, or did they rent it out? I can't imagine paying condo fees for "nothing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 03:35 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Did the condo sit empty half the year, or did they rent it out? I can't imagine paying condo fees for "nothing."
They left it empty.

It was a 55+ community, too.

Once my FIL closed his business and fully retired they sold out up north and moved down full time. They actually sold that condo because it was very small. Now they have a house again.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:50 PM

538 posts, read 538,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I would expect that if they can afford two homes, they can afford the appropriate security and safety measures for both homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Actually your post only illustrates my point. Clearly you can afford to live in FL part of the year and keep your northern home secure while you are gone.

I would never be able to afford any of that. Not the rent, not the travel, not the security measures. If you live in two places, it takes a certain amount of money. And if you can afford to live in two places, you can afford to ensure the place you aren't in is secure.
Mea culpa. I understood your first post to mean own two homes. After re-reading your post I now understand what you meant by afford two homes.

It’s really an extended vacation, although we look at it as living our regular lives in a warm climate for 2 months. And yes, it cost money to rent and travel to/from FL, as well as purchase the necessary security measures to make sure we are aware of what’s happening up north.

We are fortunate to be able to do this. But that was a result of the retirement plan as I worked 2 jobs for most of my career.

Old 03-26-2022, 04:53 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
YOU KNOW THAT.....but how does a crook know that before the break in? Don't look at things from your prospective where you know what's there and if you were a crook, you wouldn't..............

...................look at it from their prospective, of what is or is not an easy assault.

As to the topic, let me throw in another concern or two, such as vandals and squatters.

Well, in forty years of extensive travelling and being away from home sometimes for months at a time, my house was never burgled and I was never robbed. So either I look too poor to rob or maybe it was just easier to burgle the house next door that had no security alarms or electronic monitoring.

Maybe - just having a security system is enough of a deterrent if the neighbors have no security systems or monitoring electronics. What do you think?

Old 03-26-2022, 05:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Well, in forty years of extensive travelling and being away from home sometimes for months at a time, my house was never burgled and I was never robbed. So either I look too poor to rob or maybe it was just easier to burgle the house next door that had no security alarms or electronic monitoring.

Maybe - just having a security system is enough of a deterrent if the neighbors have no security systems or monitoring electronics. What do you think?
Things vary.

The family had a vacation house on Hilton Head, much the 60s beach house. Built to be simple, that the user could come to relax to without having do much upkeep work. Simple box TV, no stereo, no microwave, no island kitchens, etc..

It still got broken into at least once because no one was there for months at a time.

As far as what I think, thinking like a crook, what's the risk to them for the potential gain?

Old 03-26-2022, 08:27 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Snowbirds, I thought, was a term coined by Canadians. Hadn't heard there was any location in the US too cold to make people head for FL or AZ in winter.
Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Maine would like a word.

Also there is also a reverse "sun bird" migration but less common or known.

Old 03-27-2022, 12:21 AM

165 posts, read 145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Maine would like a word.

Also there is also a reverse "sun bird" migration but less common or known.
And South Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, UP of Michigan, etc. I live in one of the "warmer" areas in winter in SD. We have not hit the typical -25 F temps this winter, but a while back, it was -15 at my house with a -30 wind chill. A few hours up the interstate (still in SD), the wind chill was -45. If I thought I could take the summer heat (don't think I can), I'd retire to Tucson year round where I went to school. There is no way I'd live in Phoenix year round. I'd have to be a sunbird to live in AZ.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:39 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Well as you might guess from my user name, we used to snowbird from VT to AL Gulf Coast. When we built the VT house it was with this intention, so it wasn't practical to stay all winter. We would drain the pipes, put antifreeze in the traps, hide the valuables. We got broken into twice, first time before we learned to hide the valuables, they got a small TV and some other stuff. Second time, they took stupid things like laundry detergent, the TV antenna off the roof (!) and sunscreen.

House was isolated, in the country. I always took my jewelry with me and like I said, hide the other valuables in the attic. And left a note on the window, "All valuables have been moved to another location." No problems after that.

Five months on the beach in the sunshine sure beats shoveling snow, feeding a wood stove, and trying not to fall on the ice.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I know an elderly couple who got their house robbed while visiting a warmer State during the winter months. The couple have an idea who may of robbed them but no proof. Police already been called to their house to investigate the situation. The thought of leaving my home for 3 months would give me way to much anxiety worrying about what could happen. If there's thieves living in the area, they probably know what homes have been unoccupied for awhile and use them as their target to steal things. Being a snowbird is definitely not for me. Even going on a vacation for a few days gives me a little anxiety.
Do you have a homeowners insurance policy ? If yes, problem solved...unless your fondness for "stuff" is going to dictate how you live your life.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
The "point" of snowbirding, getting back to the OP, is usually, in my experience, to enjoy year-round pleasant weather -- winters are too cold up north, and summers are too hot down south -- or, more commonly, to avoid the hassles of dealing with snow, yet remain close to and in touch with family that remains at home up north.

I know a couple that alternates between the extreme northernmost reach of New England and the extreme southernmost tip of southern Florida, not just twice a year, but several times, usually flying, but sometimes driving. I would think two homes and the cost of travel would be prohibitive, but I guess they can afford it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House