Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 02:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Oh, that's not the way it's done here. The mail carriers rarely get out of their vehicle, and never for letters, they drive up to the mailbox and if there is a package that won't fit, they do get out and leave it on the porch. In fact, if someone parks too close to the mailbox they will not stop and get out, they will just keep your mail for the next day. Our mail usually arrives between 5-6pm lately.
This is how they do it here, except that mail arrives earlier than 5 or 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 02:07 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Gosh.... it is only kind to try to get that package to whomever it was meant for . Maybe there was just a
juxtaposition of house numbers , Is it so hard to be a good person ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-04-2022, 02:13 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
The address is my house address, but there is no such person living here, I live by myself. Not sure what is inside package.

From person to person package, not from company, from residential address to residential address, it is handwriting.

Before, I occasionally received wrong mails(either my address/someone else, or not even my address on the mail), I just put it outside, the USPS mail delivery man will take it back. But it is a package, mail delivery man may not pick it up, mail delivery man walks door by door, only delivery mails(not package).

How should I handle mistakenly delivered package? It is annoying to bring it to USPS, not my fault.

Thanks.
If the carrier parks his truck and loops around the block on foot it is his responsibility to pick it up. If she has a push cart and refills it from brown relay boxes then she should inform her management.

In either case I would call or go to USPS.com and order a pickup. The station manager would then be under notice that she has to account for the piece being picked up and the carrier will have a hard copy note as well as a gps equipped scanner alerting her that a pickup must be made and she can adjust the normal driving line of travel and parking points to make the pickup

Old 04-04-2022, 03:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Gosh.... it is only kind to try to get that package to whomever it was meant for . Maybe there was just a

Gosh! No!
Why should I have to go out of my way, drive 15-20mins to the local PO just to return a package that is not for me??? If the postperson can't pick it up- C'est la vie.
I deal with stupid people every day- I don't correct their mistakes! If I did, I would be doing their job for them- I don't get paid to do their job! I get paid to do MY JOB!

"Flies and honey" are not my motto!

Old 04-04-2022, 03:12 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
The address is my house address, but there is no such person living here, I live by myself. Not sure what is inside package.

From person to person package, not from company, from residential address to residential address, it is handwriting.

Before, I occasionally received wrong mails(either my address/someone else, or not even my address on the mail), I just put it outside, the USPS mail delivery man will take it back. But it is a package, mail delivery man may not pick it up, mail delivery man walks door by door, only delivery mails(not package).

How should I handle mistakenly delivered package? It is annoying to bring it to USPS, not my fault.

Thanks.
Write "undeliverable as addressed" maybe including "no such person at this address".

Take to nearest USPS office and put in package bin, or give to window or lobby CSR explaining no such person lives at address on package.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/How-i...addressed_mail

See also:

https://www.usglobalmail.com/i-put-t...-usps-package/

If available in your area USPS also has free package pickup.

https://tools.usps.com/schedule-pickup-steps.htm

Old 04-04-2022, 03:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
is there a tracking number on the package?
you can refuse the package if you do not open the package,so it will go back to the sender.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:22 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
OP DID go out of his/her way, and took the package to the post office. I think he/she deserves credit for that.

I would've taped a note to it and stuck it in the mail box, but that's me.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:19 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Or put it back in your mailbox with a note on it that there is no such addressee at your address.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:09 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Life is full of minor annoyances OP. This has happened to you just how many times during your life thus far?

Another idea that will create fairly insignificant bother for you. Do you work at a business that receives mail? Write "Misdelivered mail. Addressee unknown. Return to sender." across the package label, take it to work (you're heading there anyway right?) and hand it to your mail clerk. They can turn it over to the USPS carrier the next day.

Many POs now provide curbside dropoff boxes for postage prepaid-labeled parcels. Label the package as suggested above and drop it there. You may not even need to get out of your car to get whatever it is back on its way to the person who's waiting for it. You'd probably appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-04-2022 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 05:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
scammers who sell on EBAY would ship an empty box with tracking to the buyer neighborhood so tracking would show delivered ,it would use the address of say a drycleaner,a restaurant or hair salon.
lets say the scammer sold "an ipod' and shipped an empty box to a business address in the buyer neighborhood with adressee name as 'resident',,the staff of the business would just throw the empty box away,when the buyer complains to Ebay he did not get the ipod,the scammer would just show the tracking number that it has been delivered to his zipcode and win the dispute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House