Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2022, 12:18 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

I’m soliciting first hand experiences with how well they do or do not work for roof moss control.

I’ve read internet sidewise and crosswise on this, this is why I’m seeking feedback from those, who have them installed.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 12:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I have zinc strip on my roof. Seems to work. Wish it could do something about the trees constantly dropping small sticks during storms. . Several houses in my neighborhood do too. Also, I also notice houses that are often in need of a roof repair that have clean roofs below the galvanized flashings around shingles, vents. Metal is usually galvanized with some kind of zinc I think.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It would depend on the circumstances, orientation to the sun, trees, and climate. We get 60" of rain, have 80-100' old growth trees in the yard, and the front of the house faces north. We have to get the roof cleaned 2-3 times a year from the fir needles, cones, and small branches, and when we do, the guy also sprinkles a moss killer on it. Our metal flashings are painted to match the shingles, but even zinc strips wouldn't be enough in our case since the front never sees the sun.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:56 PM

Repped you, Jonov.
Anyone else? That has them?

Old 04-08-2022, 07:46 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The biggest difference is in the material.
There is “galvanized” metal, which has a coating of zinc; and then there’s zinc strips that are like 90+% zinc.

Contrary to popular believe, galvanized metal will rust at some point- kinda defeats the purpose of killing moss and other organic matter on composition roofs. Zinc strips on the other hand can last upwards of 20yrs.

I vaguely remember a company that made ridge vents with a “built-in” zinc strip- ridiculously expensive versus just adding the zinc strip to the roof just under a typical ridge vent.

Moss and other organic are certainly prevalent here in the SE- due to a very large canopy of trees, humidity, and a rather good annual rain amount. Why zinc isn’t used more often would seem to be a rather innocent question. The answer is always the same… it’s a warranty nightmare, and just another expense builders don’t want to add to the bottom line!

Old 04-09-2022, 08:26 PM

I found answer to my question by accident.
I was searching for those zinc strips at HD and bumped into associate who told me, that he has them installed on his garage roof. He said that nothing grows from strip all the way down.
So I have two 50 ft rolls. I have 200 sf shad, I'll start there. As a trial.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:07 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I found answer to my question by accident.
I was searching for those zinc strips at HD and bumped into associate who told me, that he has them installed on his garage roof. He said that nothing grows from strip all the way down.
So I have two 50 ft rolls. I have 200 sf shad, I'll start there. As a trial.
I worked part-time at HD during one trip through lay-off land. One thing I learned is there are some very knowledgeable, qualified people working there, but there are also some that don't know their a** from a hole in the ground. The guy mixing paint may have just been "promoted" from being the one collecting shopping carts. When I want assistance, the first thing I do is don't assume they know what they are talking about.
I ask something like "are you familiar with this product.....", and go from there.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:45 PM

Quite interesting, how we look for answers all over the world, while they are right in front of you.
We have shed on the property. With fancy small tower in the center of the roof crest. Only TODAY, after 6.5 years in the place, have I noticed that, there is moss on either side of that tower, but none right down below it, all the way down to the roof edge.

Well, go figure, then I realized that that tower has copper roofing.
Hence, copper apparently works, so should zinc.
I already placed a strip along that shed roof edge. I'll treat it as experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House