Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times

Advertisements

Can this make teeth smell? We aren't sure if it is the new using of Weruva can food alone, causing a bit of stinky breath in our 3+ yr old cat or something else? I had a cleaning done on her in Jan. '10 @ 2yrs approx. old, but would like to skip it now for money -- AND her having to undergo meds to put her out.

Anyone worry of Wellness cans & this issue, or my only one knows about it?

I have heard this from online here somewhere, that independent tests confirmed high levels in some batches of Wellness can, but can't confirm.

Thanks alot for any advice re: taking the cat or holding off or...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,288,293 times
Default you heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Can this make teeth smell? We aren't sure if it is the new using of Weruva can food alone, causing a bit of stinky breath in our 3+ yr old cat or something else? I had a cleaning done on her in Jan. '10 @ 2yrs approx. old, but would like to skip it now for money -- AND her having to undergo meds to put her out.

Anyone worry of Wellness cans & this issue, or my only one knows about it?

I have heard this from online here somewhere, that independent tests confirmed high levels in some batches of Wellness can, but can't confirm.

Thanks alot for any advice re: taking the cat or holding off or...?
You heard it from me the one with the dead cat

Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
and since I returned cases of wellness to petsmart Oscar has not had any more UTIs. I think were caused by Wellness.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,866 times
You can try to brush her teeth yourself, there are enzymatic pet toothpaste/toothbrush sets at most chain pet stores...it won't be as thorough as a professional cleaning, but if done regularly it will help a lot! I brush all my animals' teeth (some more successfully than others, LOL!)

I saw with my own eyes how much better all my animals looked after taking Wellness out of the rotation...shinier coats, more energy, and overall just much more of a vibrant glow of health about them. I don't know if elevated levels of zinc and/or copper could cause bad breath, but it seems possible...I know excessive zinc can lead to symptoms like vomiting, nausea & diarrhea, so it makes sense that a toxicity like this could produce an unpleasant odor in various ways....

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
You can try to brush her teeth yourself, there are enzymatic pet toothpaste/toothbrush sets at most chain pet stores...it won't be as thorough as a professional cleaning, but if done regularly it will help a lot! I brush all my animals' teeth (some more successfully than others, LOL!)

I saw with my own eyes how much better all my animals looked after taking Wellness out of the rotation...shinier coats, more energy, and overall just much more of a vibrant glow of health about them. I don't know if elevated levels of zinc and/or copper could cause bad breath, but it seems possible...I know excessive zinc can lead to symptoms like vomiting, nausea & diarrhea, so it makes sense that a toxicity like this could produce an unpleasant odor in various ways....
Hmm, LMC, I sure hope not. We did take to vet tonite to eval teeth. They need cleaning (ahem, what else would a vet say, no? lol) & she is maybe bit older than the 3+ yrs we think (we caught her on porch in 8/09) & thus may be about 4-5 yrs, don't know according to vet.

Anyway, we're setting cleaning for soon upcoming but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. So you experts, hehe, have you any suggestions re: this cleaning? I guess "I need it" says vet, & I'm ok if needed, but not if it is just for money. I think the vet is legit yet never know these days.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Default Tooth2 Things

There were two things that I flagged about dental but didn't need to follow up on.
One had to do with x-rays, it seemed apparent to me that without them the vet didn't have the whole picture.

How many times do want to sedate a cat if you keep missing something. So as I'm typing that I'm thinking NO WAY would they do a half ***ed job on purpose and no, I don't think they would.
So I would check on that. I'll look into it as well.

I can't even believe this next item. Fluoride. Some dental cleanings include Fluoride. That's just flat out marketing to the owners and poisoning the cat.
Maybe, if we're lucky,Fluffy and I will end up needing the same anti-depressant!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 AM

Default Your cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hmm, LMC, I sure hope not. We did take to vet tonite to eval teeth. They need cleaning (ahem, what else would a vet say, no? lol) & she is maybe bit older than the 3+ yrs we think (we caught her on porch in 8/09) & thus may be about 4-5 yrs, don't know according to vet.

Anyway, we're setting cleaning for soon upcoming but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. So you experts, hehe, have you any suggestions re: this cleaning? I guess "I need it" says vet, & I'm ok if needed, but not if it is just for money. I think the vet is legit yet never know these days.

I'm probably the most vocal about dental, but doing it when they are younger and before they get so bad that they cause systemic infections or pain and trouble eating makes sense to me.

Heads Up For Next Year Though,

February is make a Bundle on Dental Month.

True title to an article I found in a Veterinary trade magazine, I kid you not.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Bad breath IS a sign of dental problems. If she's already needed one cleaning, she may be prone to gingivitis. Do have it done. Nothing worse than living with mouth pain, and you know she'll hide that she has it.

Gingivitis left untreated leads to periodontal disease. In addition bad teeth and gums lead to kidney failure and heart diseease, a bad mouth affects the entire body.

Get a second opinion if you don't trust your vet, heck, if you don't trust your vet, find another vet altogether.

I, too, brush my cats' teeth nightly with c.e.t. enzymatic veterinary paste (if it's not an enzymatic paste it's useless, don't bother buying it, and c.e.t. is the only brand I know of that is enzymatic. Enzymatic means "breaks down bacteria")

They all have very sweet breath, and the need for professional dental cleanings has been greatly reduced.

However, c.e.t. won't reverse tartar and gingivitis so you still have to have the dental done, and continue brushing afterward.

Some dental problems are not preventable with brushing, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Stomatitis can be a genetic problem, and resorptive lesions (FORL) also have no known cause.

Discuss with your vet what method of anesthesia s/he uses. My vet uses sevoflurane exclusively on my cats. It is fast acting, no pre-sedating cocktails needed. It is also more expensive and why many vets turn to isoflurane instead, which requires a pre anesthetic sedative.

PS I don't use a brush, I use my finger when I do my cats' teeth every night. It is the enzymatic action of the c.e.t. paste that does the work, not abrasive scrubbing. I just rub the paste onto their teeth and gums.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 AM

Will get the cleaning, thanx.

Also, I'm trying to do more than just put CET on a treat. I'll make efforts to brush again as I was shown best to hold from behind & massage onto gums. Will keep you posted. Thanx.

PS - Where's GOE been? anyone know?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Bad breath IS a sign of dental problems. If she's already needed one cleaning, she may be prone to gingivitis. Do have it done. Nothing worse than living with mouth pain, and you know she'll hide that she has it.

Gingivitis left untreated leads to periodontal disease. In addition bad teeth and gums lead to kidney failure and heart diseease, a bad mouth affects the entire body.

Get a second opinion if you don't trust your vet, heck, if you don't trust your vet, find another vet altogether.

I, too, brush my cats' teeth nightly with c.e.t. enzymatic veterinary paste (if it's not an enzymatic paste it's useless, don't bother buying it, and c.e.t. is the only brand I know of that is enzymatic. Enzymatic means "breaks down bacteria")

They all have very sweet breath, and the need for professional dental cleanings has been greatly reduced.

However, c.e.t. won't reverse tartar and gingivitis so you still have to have the dental done, and continue brushing afterward.

Some dental problems are not preventable with brushing, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Stomatitis can be a genetic problem, and resorptive lesions (FORL) also have no known cause.

Discuss with your vet what method of anesthesia s/he uses. My vet uses sevoflurane exclusively on my cats. It is fast acting, no pre-sedating cocktails needed. It is also more expensive and why many vets turn to isoflurane instead, which requires a pre anesthetic sedative.

PS I don't use a brush, I use my finger when I do my cats' teeth every night. It is the enzymatic action of the c.e.t. paste that does the work, not abrasive scrubbing. I just rub the paste onto their teeth and gums.
I'm trying to find a vet using sevo NOT iso too. Thanks for this tip. But I'm sure I'l have hassles from vets defending either usage. It seems they always downplay any fears we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats