Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times

Advertisements

For the last couple of weeks, my cat's breath has been bad. Really bad. Like poo. She seems perfectly fine in every other way. Eating fine (no change in diet, either), using the litter just as always, playful, cuddly, fur looks great. But her breath stinks! Could this be a sign of anything serious? And is there anything I could give her (safely, of course) to make it smell less bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
It sounds very serious.

Have you looked at the gumline? Is there swelling/redness/blood? It could be periodontal disease.

It could also be something in the gut - a blockage, an infection.

I'd be very worried if my cat's mouth smelled fecal...you need a vet visit as soon as possible.

I hope it's easily treatable, whatever it turns out to be.....best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Thanks, I will take your advice and make an appointment. Better safe than sorry. Now I just have to find a vet...I only moved here a few months ago so I don't have one.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Thanks, I will take your advice and make an appointment. Better safe than sorry. Now I just have to find a vet...I only moved here a few months ago so I don't have one.
Maybe call some boarding facilities and see who they recommend as a good vet? That's how I found my current vet and he's great.

One of my dogs had a recent gum issue that we thought was cleared up, but then it reappeared over this last week. Today we went in to the vet and ended up pulling a tooth (a very small tooth). His breath got better almost immediately. The tooth was basically just hanging there and irritating/infecting the gum and making it stinky.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
My ancient kitty Pounce developed an absolutely *wretched* odor and it indeed turned out to be peridontal. She too had acted fine, good appetite etc.
I think some cats have a tendency to act okay when they are really not okay at all.
I had no idea what her problem was, but that Smell was horrible, and off to the vet we went. He immediately figured out the problem.
He cleaned her out but it did recur--there was a piece of tooth he had left behind.The smell began to come back!
(He felt terrible about it, but the piece was very small.) Anyway, he took care of her mouth for good, and she lost the Smell.
Ultimately, Pounce was fine and lived 3 more years.
Good luck with your kitty!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
It's probably a dental problem. We have to brush our cats' teeth every night because of some autoimmune problem they have. Whee.

Get kitty to the vet, and see what's up. Do you know anyone else who has a cat that could recommend a vet? Or call a rescue; sometimes they'll recommend a vet.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,747 times
Foul kitty breath can also be an indicator of something going on with kidneys. Although in this case, I think might opt for peridontal disease.

If I may, cat lovers, here is something I do routinely at least once a year: I have my vet do a panel screening of kitty's blood. This can keep you in the know, as to how kitty's heart, liver, kidneys, and other important issues, are doing. Its not a cheap test, but I figure a $50 blood test, could save a ton later, if disease is detected early on.

I do hope kitty's issue turns out to be minor, and easily dealt with. As a 'mom' to two cats, I know the worry involved when they 'ain't doin right'.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Ask around where you work. Chances are there are pet owners there, and if they LOVE their vet, you'll know!!! If they don't, you'll know even more!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
Foul kitty breath can also be an indicator of something going on with kidneys. Although in this case, I think might opt for peridontal disease.

If I may, cat lovers, here is something I do routinely at least once a year: I have my vet do a panel screening of kitty's blood. This can keep you in the know, as to how kitty's heart, liver, kidneys, and other important issues, are doing. Its not a cheap test, but I figure a $50 blood test, could save a ton later, if disease is detected early on.

I do hope kitty's issue turns out to be minor, and easily dealt with. As a 'mom' to two cats, I know the worry involved when they 'ain't doin right'.
My vet pushes owners to do this with their senior (10+ years) cats. I put it off at age 10, because we were short on cash, but have done it the last 2 years. (of course she has to be bagged so they can draw the blood.) Blood work so far has come back clean and clear both years.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,445 times
My cat with chronic renal failure has terrible breath. The breath is what prompted me to take her to the vet and then the diagnosis was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats