Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

We all know about Bad Breath In Dogs but I've never had a cat with bad breath. Langley has dental disease but his breath is not bad. he's 11 year old and I have been hesitating for almost 2 years to have his teeth cleaned. I'm afraid he is too old to be put under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
Well, when we do hear about bad breath in cats is tends to be kidney disease related.

I wonder if the lack of bad breath in healthy cats vs dogs has something to do with the way cats actually eat their food, compared to dogs and their grooming sessions following.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:36 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,929,042 times
Kudzu, I don't think 11 is too old for a dental (assuming bloodwork and etc. are ok). My childhood cat had a dental at like age 16 (and she lived to 19)!

Our Tucker (15) has sort of bad breath and tartar build up. However, he has asthma and a slow-growing lung cancer so I'd rather not put him under if possible. For six months, I've been brushing his teeth daily. It's really made a difference in his breath. (FWIW, he's on an all wet diet.)

Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
Unless we suspect a problem, my cats usually get two dental cleanings in their lifetime - usually at around 6 and 12 years old.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
If he really needs the dental I'd go ahead and do it at age 11, unless there is some other contraindication. That doesn't seem even close to "too old" to me.

Agree about bad breath. In an older cat especially if you notice bad breath where it wasn't present in the past, it's probably cause for a vet visit (unless you're already treating for kidney disease perhaps).

Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM

369 posts, read 760,521 times
Well, when my cats are in my face I notice what I call their "stinky kitty breath"...just smells like their food. But we're lucky that they both have healthy teeth. If the cleaning will help with his dental disease I think you should do it. I agree with the others that 11 isn't too old.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM

328 posts, read 466,498 times
Cat breath is like tuna, stale period and death rolled into one.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 AM

484 posts, read 761,893 times
Maybe because cats don't pant as frequently as dogs do.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,576,031 times
Cats do have bad breath but it is worse if they have bad teeth or a gum infection going on. If you suspect or know for a fact that Langley needs a cleaning do not let his age stop you from getting him checked out. Your vet will likely run some bloodwork prior to the procedure to make sure that he is healthy enough to undergo anesthesia. If your vet is very familiar with him he will already be aware of any chronic problems Langley may have and your vet would be a very good source of info to find out how safe the anesthesia would be for him. If he is healthy, and has no heart problems he would probably be fine. The blood work would tell the story and then you decide from there. The down side to not having regular dental checks ups is gingivitis, painful gums, red gums, receeding gums, infection leading to loss of teeth - this has happened to several of our guys. I never realized how important it was to check their teeth until they started having problems. If Langley gets to the point where he seems to be having trouble eating - you'll have to do something anyway - so sooner will be better than later in that regard. His age in itself is not the factor - it's his general state of health. I know how hard it is to pull the trigger - trust me!!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM

62 posts, read 295,299 times
I couldn't agree more the CFoulke. I don't think cats should have bad breath, if they do it is a sure sign of a problem. Bob had horrible breath last Oct. when we rushed him to the Vet because he stopped eating and was just not himself. He was treated for dehydration and given antibiotics and pain pills for one week. The next week he had his teeth cleaned.
His food was immediately changed from dry only to raw, then to home made raw. He has since had his teeth cleaned again and it going to have it done in Jan. He has gained weight and it very active again. Most importantly, his breath does not smell near as bad as it did, somedays not at all. He still has a few bad days. I baby him with food that is easy for him to eat on those days. He is a brave and strong boy for all the crap he has been dealt. He is doing fine with lots of help from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats