Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 05:19 PM

39 posts, read 34,912 times

Advertisements

I'm close to the end of my apartment lease, and I was thinking about moving into a townhome, due to no upstairs/downstairs neighbors. But I've read stories on reddit and elsewhere about townhomes, being almost as bad as apartments with regards to running into bad luck with a loud next door neighbor that shares a bedroom wall.

So on the topic of mobile homes. Are there any problems with them, as far as, I don't know, having reliable internet? Or plumbing issues, etc. I'm just throwing out these random doubts that have been in my mind concerning Mobile Homes in general.

The prospect of not sharing any walls or ceilings/floors with neighbors, to me, would make up for the unfortunate memes you hear about mobile homes,... you know, like trailer park trash lol.

I'm sure you get random characters popping up in a mobile home park, like a group of drunkards maybe hanging right outside your home, .. etc. But then they go away. An actual tenant in an apartment or townhome,. never fricken goes away, and you have to deal with their idiosyncracies ( they blast their stereo, or sing loudly, etc )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 05:48 PM

23,308 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsmusicpizza View Post
I'm close to the end of my apartment lease, and I was thinking about moving into a townhome, due to no upstairs/downstairs neighbors. But I've read stories on reddit and elsewhere about townhomes, being almost as bad as apartments with regards to running into bad luck with a loud next door neighbor that shares a bedroom wall.

So on the topic of mobile homes. Are there any problems with them, as far as, I don't know, having reliable internet? Or plumbing issues, etc. I'm just throwing out these random doubts that have been in my mind concerning Mobile Homes in general.

The prospect of not sharing any walls or ceilings/floors with neighbors, to me, would make up for the unfortunate memes you hear about mobile homes,... you know, like trailer park trash lol.

I'm sure you get random characters popping up in a mobile home park, like a group of drunkards maybe hanging right outside your home, .. etc. But then they go away. An actual tenant in an apartment or townhome,. never fricken goes away, and you have to deal with their idiosyncracies ( they blast their stereo, or sing loudly, etc )
There are pros and cons to all types of housing. Many "mobile" homes in parks spend most of their lives in the same lot in the same park. Noisy neighbors may be just as permanent as townhome noisy neighbors. To get rid of them you'd have to move the home somewhere else. That's expensive. A mobile home that hasn't been moved for decades may not tolerate it. You also need to consider who owns the piece of land the mobile home is sitting on. If you own a piece of property and put a mobile home on it, great. Its yours. However, if you pick a spot in a park in order to take advantage of the utilities and services a park offers, you may never own the land underneath. It might be leased. Those costs can change, the park might be sold, and you may not like the new ownership. Again, you would need to move the home to get away from those sorts of changes.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are pros and cons to all types of housing. Many "mobile" homes in parks spend most of their lives in the same lot in the same park. Noisy neighbors may be just as permanent as townhome noisy neighbors. To get rid of them you'd have to move the home somewhere else. That's expensive. A mobile home that hasn't been moved for decades may not tolerate it. You also need to consider who owns the piece of land the mobile home is sitting on. If you own a piece of property and put a mobile home on it, great. Its yours. However, if you pick a spot in a park in order to take advantage of the utilities and services a park offers, you may never own the land underneath. It might be leased. Those costs can change, the park might be sold, and you may not like the new ownership. Again, you would need to move the home to get away from those sorts of changes.
This is good info. I will definitely make sure I note this. Thank you

Old 04-25-2022, 06:31 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
“Trailer Trash†can be a real thing.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
As a general rule, townhouses will appreciate over the years and become more valuable, while mobile homes will depreciate and become less valuable.

Mobile homes typically rent the land under them, so over time, rent increases could become significant. While land taxes will increase over time for townhouses, they will likely not increase as much.

Long term, a townhouse is likely to be a much better investment.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a general rule, townhouses will appreciate over the years and become more valuable, while mobile homes will depreciate and become less valuable.

Mobile homes typically rent the land under them, so over time, rent increases could become significant. While land taxes will increase over time for townhouses, they will likely not increase as much.

Long term, a townhouse is likely to be a much better investment.

I have a lot to learn about land and the expense of it, etc.

But on the subject of townhomes, or even condos. I will never, ever understand the logic behind purchasing one of them. You never know who is going to move in on the the other side of what is sometimes a very flimsy wall. I'd only buy a house, personally.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:18 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Internet depends on who the vendor in town is. In a mobile home park, the land is leased. As for vagrants & drunks, response depends on the park's rules and local laws. RE taxes are typically less than a comparable stick built home. The downside is they will lose value over time. The good news is your taxes will go down every year.

Good luck getting a mortgage longer than 10 or 15 years. Best wishes.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:43 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Mobile home parks are being taken over by Real Estate Investment Trusts, corporate entities. After they acquire a park, they raise rents and cut services, which means residents have to cover costs, that management cuts. Their loyalty is to their stockholders, not to their renters. You never know when a mobile home park may sell out to a REIT. There was a long article about this in the New Yorker magazine a few years ago, if you want more information.

These days, mobile homes are of better quality in the past, so they're more durable and have better insulation, which adds up to savings in heating and cooling. I'm told that some brands/manufacturers are better than others. It would pay to do some research.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Ignore most if what you read about them as long as you do this,
Own the land it's sitting on.
I wish my taxes went down every year.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:31 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Try this:

Sit in a tin can wrapped with plastic . That is what mobile trailer life is akin to.

Certainly Location DOES challenge itself with nature.....Winds can be a challenge as can the sweltering heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House