Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:20 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek700 View Post
Well i never looked at the pans i ever had until the last nonstick pan i bought got scratched a while back and later on reading that is no good. But i had no idea nonstick is bad because it contains teflon.

So ALL types of nonstick pans contain Teflon no matter what? So what is difference from say a ten dollar nonstick pan vs a twenty five dollar TFAL nonstick pan? So TFAL is highest quailty nonstick? Also read when you use it, the middle part of it turns red to indicate its ready for cooking... never heard of any pan having that. But that is good and normal?

Well if someone only uses the pan to cook steak/eggs/beef once or twice a week at the most... but might not even use it for long period of time... which pan you recommend? Again, i had no idea about the controversy of teflon. But its only dangerous if your nonstick pan is scratched right?
No, modern, currently manufactured non stick pans are safe. Cooking with it is perfectly fine, not unsafe. You can still scratch the coating though, and who wants bits of plastic in their food, so only use utensils made for non stick.

Cast iron just seems like lot of work. Again i might not use it for a long time so it would then rust? The idea that after you are done using it and need to clean it by putting oil over it and then turning on the stove... that is something i never heard of. Also i heard cast iron could leach things into your food if you don't clean or use it properly? Like imagine its rusted but you might not know there is still rust there before you use it again?
Cast iron is no more work than any other pan, as long as you don't put it away wet and let it rust. You do NOT have to oil it and heat it (which is the process that creates the 'seasoning') unless you somehow manage to ruin the seasoning. Cook, swipe with a soapy rag, rinse and wipe well with a paper towel or set it in the drain rack and you're good to go. Cast iron leaches iron, for most of us that is a good thing as many people are iron deficient. I've had doctors suggest using my cast iron more often to help raise my iron levels. It would only be a concern if for some odd reason you already have high levels of iron in your system.

Stainless steel seems to be the safest of all but then i read cleaning it up when frying eggs is a pain. Well as long as you use some oil, isn't that fine?
Some people like to minimize the use of oil in cooking. If that's not a concern for you then stainless is great.

Because if there are no health concerns of nonstick teflon, i wouldn't even look to other forms of cookware. im used to how easy it is to clean nonstick. Could you guys who have TFAL post the exact TFAL pans you use? Are the more expensive TFAL pans like TFAL Titantium Plus better than TFAL Simplicity etc?
I have the T-fal excite, a replacement for an older T-fal skillet my kids scratched up. It has the heat indicator spot which I find is pretty much pointless. When the time comes to replace it I will probably upgrade to the next level because I don't think this one measures up to the one I had before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 09:44 PM

9 posts, read 4,864 times
Well shouldn't TFAL be avoided though due to teflon? Again that is my main concern here.

So the example i posted is good though at that price? The thing is it doesn't mention 18/10 metal so that mean it might not be high quality stainless steel?

Saw another stainless steel pan at that size where the price is 35 dollars and its Hamilton Beach brand and it also has that encapsulated base but does have the words high quality stainless steel.

So is it worth buying the gibson brand that is under 20 dollars? Thing is that store has a sale now where there is discount where its literally like 13 dollars on all these cookware products but that ends very soon. But how do i know what quality stainless steel it is? Could it have n ickel or lead if it is poor quality stainless steel? Or spend more on the Hamilton Beach one that shows 18/10?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Well shouldn't TFAL be avoided though due to teflon? Again that is my main concern here.
You can stop worrying about a TFal pan. They are safe.

https://www.kitchenunder100.com/does-t-fal-have-teflon/

Teflon is the patented name of the chemical PTFE.
Tefal was the first company to use Teflon (PTFE) in its products.
PTFE used to have a chemical PFOA in it.
PFOA is carcinogenic and now banned.
Tefal pans produced after 2013 are entirely PFOA-free, thus considered safe to use.

Quote:
So the example i posted is good though at that price? The thing is it doesn't mention 18/10 metal so that mean it might not be high quality stainless steel?
If the pan is not 18/10, forget about it, it's crap.

Quote:
Saw another stainless steel pan at that size where the price is 35 dollars and its Hamilton Beach brand and it also has that encapsulated base but does have the words high quality stainless steel.

So is it worth buying the gibson brand that is under 20 dollars? Thing is that store has a sale now where there is discount where its literally like 13 dollars on all these cookware products but that ends very soon. But how do i know what quality stainless steel it is? Could it have n ickel or lead if it is poor quality stainless steel? Or spend more on the Hamilton Beach one that shows 18/10?

No. It is junk. As I said, go to Walmart. $39.95, an excellent pan.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tri-Ply-C...-Pan/414660390

Old 05-02-2022, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 4,864 times
So any teflon pan is safe then? But TFAL is most trusted nonstick brand? But other cheaper nonstick brands are still fine but TFAL is best?

So if the stainless steel pot doesn't show 18/10 , then it for sure is crap correct? So when you say its crap... what do you mean by that exactly? it will discolor and have lot of issues? But would it still be safe to cook though with it? Cosmetics mean nothing to me... concerned about food safety. is there any risk in a crap stainless steel pan to make used to fry steak, eggs and beef etc?

The hamilton beach is not junk right? You mean the under twenty dollar one im talking about? Brand is gibson elite.

is is possible for a stainless steel pot or pan to also be crap even if it shows 18/10? Asking this because not that long ago, had bought two stainless steel pots... one was very cheap at 15 dollars mainstays brand from walmart... the other one was under 50 dollars Hamilton Beach.. Both show 18/10 but you could clearly see the Hamilton Beach one looks nicer.. But it seems like the cheaper one worn out more. Big difference though is the cheaper mainstays pot... i put a steaming basket tray with water in it and then a plate over it that has chicken breast to steam. The bottom of it has lot of spots and looks corroded. Can you explain that? Does have grease that get there though. The more expensive Hamilton Beach stainless steel pot i use, i only put pasta or vegetables and steam it with water. it does seem to have some round stain but look nowhere as bad as the mainstay cheaper stainless steel pot. Thoughts on that?

Old 05-03-2022, 04:54 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Well i never looked at the pans i ever had until the last nonstick pan i bought got scratched a while back and later on reading that is no good. But i had no idea nonstick is bad because it contains teflon.

So ALL types of nonstick pans contain Teflon no matter what? So what is difference from say a ten dollar nonstick pan vs a twenty five dollar TFAL nonstick pan? So TFAL is highest quailty nonstick? Also read when you use it, the middle part of it turns red to indicate its ready for cooking... never heard of any pan having that. But that is good and normal?

Well if someone only uses the pan to cook steak/eggs/beef once or twice a week at the most... but might not even use it for long period of time... which pan you recommend? Again, i had no idea about the controversy of teflon. But its only dangerous if your nonstick pan is scratched right?

Cast iron just seems like lot of work. Again i might not use it for a long time so it would then rust? The idea that after you are done using it and need to clean it by putting oil over it and then turning on the stove... that is something i never heard of. Also i heard cast iron could leach things into your food if you don't clean or use it properly? Like imagine its rusted but you might not know there is still rust there before you use it again?

Stainless steel seems to be the safest of all but then i read cleaning it up when frying eggs is a pain. Well as long as you use some oil, isn't that fine?

Because if there are no health concerns of nonstick teflon, i wouldn't even look to other forms of cookware. im used to how easy it is to clean nonstick. Could you guys who have TFAL post the exact TFAL pans you use? Are the more expensive TFAL pans like TFAL Titantium Plus better than TFAL Simplicity etc?
My TFal pans say “professional†on them. They get used every day on a flat surface electric cooktop and are still good as new. I think the large one was $39. so it’s not a huge investment.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:14 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Cast iron just seems like lot of work. Again i might not use it for a long time so it would then rust? The idea that after you are done using it and need to clean it by putting oil over it and then turning on the stove... that is something i never heard of. Also i heard cast iron could leach things into your food if you don't clean or use it properly? Like imagine its rusted but you might not know there is still rust there before you use it again?...
Didn't read what I wrote about cast iron pans just above, did you?

I have been using cast iron skillets for cooking since I was a boy. Close to 50 years now. When I'm done, I wash it with hot soapy water and a plastic scrubby. Then I dry it. Done. No, you don't want to put an iron skillet away wet. That's IT.

It just isn't this hard. Stop trying to make it so.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:31 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
So any teflon pan is safe then? But TFAL is most trusted nonstick brand? But other cheaper nonstick brands are still fine but TFAL is best?

So if the stainless steel pot doesn't show 18/10 , then it for sure is crap correct? So when you say its crap... what do you mean by that exactly? it will discolor and have lot of issues? But would it still be safe to cook though with it? Cosmetics mean nothing to me... concerned about food safety. is there any risk in a crap stainless steel pan to make used to fry steak, eggs and beef etc?

The hamilton beach is not junk right? You mean the under twenty dollar one im talking about? Brand is gibson elite.

is is possible for a stainless steel pot or pan to also be crap even if it shows 18/10? Asking this because not that long ago, had bought two stainless steel pots... one was very cheap at 15 dollars mainstays brand from walmart... the other one was under 50 dollars Hamilton Beach.. Both show 18/10 but you could clearly see the Hamilton Beach one looks nicer.. But it seems like the cheaper one worn out more. Big difference though is the cheaper mainstays pot... i put a steaming basket tray with water in it and then a plate over it that has chicken breast to steam. The bottom of it has lot of spots and looks corroded. Can you explain that? Does have grease that get there though. The more expensive Hamilton Beach stainless steel pot i use, i only put pasta or vegetables and steam it with water. it does seem to have some round stain but look nowhere as bad as the mainstay cheaper stainless steel pot. Thoughts on that?

OMG. Just eat out.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:45 AM

4,604 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
OMG. Just eat out.

Or put in a little bit of time learning about the different types of modern cookware,
e.g. read Consumer Reports.

FWIW, I use an "Evaco Cast" frying pan (made in S Korea),
and a pair of Zwilling ceramic pots (one 2 qt, one 4 qt),
and have been very pleased with them.
They're non-stick, but made w/o Teflon.
Not cheap, but they'll last a long time,
so they're good investments.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
I have a set of SS pots and pans, a cast iron skillet, and two T-Fal frying pans.

The easiest to fry with are the T-Fals, for pretty much any food. Use silicone, wood, or other nonsharp implements with them—no metal flippers!

But to fry eggs, I prefer the cast iron skillet used with an old-school THIN, flexible, SS flipper. The latter should not be used on any coated metal, so either SS or a seasoned iron pan is its required partner. You can buy these once-ubiquitous flippers from Lee Valley. Yes, the same Lee Valley that sells fine woodworking tools and useful, hard-to-find inventions for gardening and home.

My SS frying pans are used the least, though the pots are used daily.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:38 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
I have RevereWare (SS) and WagnerWare (alloy) and one cast iron frying pan which I think is a PitA. Carbon steel wok, also a PitA. I most often use the Revere and Wagner pots and pans, and have been since forever. If you use proper cooking techniques and follow recipes, then nothing sticks to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House