Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 03:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

When we built our house in SC, our builder discouraged us from installing hardwood floors at the time of building. He told us that the houses in that area typically take 7 years to fully settle. Within the first year, we had several long cracks in several walls. They were repaired. Before the house was even finished we saw cracks in the concrete slab. We didn't stay there 7 years so I don't know what else happened.

The house I live in now was built in 1942. We have 1 room which has developed cracks in the sheetrock. We have actual sheetrock where you need a drill to put in a screw to hang a picture. It's like drilling into concrete. Some rooms have been drywalled by the previous owner. I have a feeling we will be doing some drywalling in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 04:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
When we built our house in SC, our builder discouraged us from installing hardwood floors at the time of building. He told us that the houses in that area typically take 7 years to fully settle. Within the first year, we had several long cracks in several walls. They were repaired. Before the house was even finished we saw cracks in the concrete slab. We didn't stay there 7 years so I don't know what else happened.

The house I live in now was built in 1942. We have 1 room which has developed cracks in the sheetrock. We have actual sheetrock where you need a drill to put in a screw to hang a picture. It's like drilling into concrete. Some rooms have been drywalled by the previous owner. I have a feeling we will be doing some drywalling in the future.

What you have are plaster walls, not drywall. Plaster powder was mixed with water and spread over thin horizontal boards attached to the studs. It requires some skill to do it right.

Gypsum sheets were invented to make installing acceptable looking interior walls faster and easier. Now you install "dry" sheets to the studs to create a wall. Hence, the name drywall.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
What you have are plaster walls, not drywall. Plaster powder was mixed with water and spread over thin horizontal boards attached to the studs. It requires some skill to do it right.

Gypsum sheets were invented to make installing acceptable looking interior walls faster and easier. Now you install "dry" sheets to the studs to create a wall. Hence, the name drywall.
No. I do NOT have plaster walls. I have had plaster walls in the past and this house does not have plaster. It has sheetrock. There is NO plaster. There are no lathes. This type of sheetrock was VERY common in my region why this house was built. Our neighbors have it as well. We all have the same hardwood floors and built in cabinets as well. Not one of us has plaster.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No. I do NOT have plaster walls. I have had plaster walls in the past and this house does not have plaster. It has sheetrock. There is NO plaster. There are no lathes. This type of sheetrock was VERY common in my region why this house was built. Our neighbors have it as well. We all have the same hardwood floors and built in cabinets as well. Not one of us has plaster.

I’m betting you have “blueboard”.
Blueboard is a drywall type sheet/board, but finished with plaster. As opposed to “plaster&lathe”.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I’m betting you have “blueboard”.
Blueboard is a drywall type sheet/board, but finished with plaster. As opposed to “plaster&lathe”.
Nope. My research shows Blueboard was developed in the 60's. The house was built in 1942.

When you nail into it, it doesn't crumble like plaster. You have to use a drill to put a nail in the wall. We've broken MANY drill bits on these walls. There is no paper in the hole when you drill. We'd love to know what the heck the walls are made from! It's like drilling into rock. It's bizarre. Part of the house was renovated in the 80's and all of that has modern day drywall which is a breeze to put a nail into. All of the houses around here built during this time have the same walls. I don't know if anyone has figured out what we have. Many of my neighbors have been here for 20+ years and had numerous renovations. They all complain about how hard the walls are.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:29 PM

480 posts, read 316,943 times
Possibly you have Sackett Board, an early type of drywall.

https://www.wconline.com/articles/84...-north-america

Old 07-26-2022, 06:35 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Possibly you have Sackett Board, an early type of drywall.

https://www.wconline.com/articles/84...-north-america
Yes, when drywall was first developed, several manufacturers created a board that replaced wood or wire lath, it was perforated and required one or two coats of plaster over the entire surface.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Thank you so much for this detailed response. Based on this, I might just hold tight for a while and see if other similar issues come into play before deciding to fix. The condo was just pained in February when we purchased it. We aren't planning on selling any time soon (at least 4+ years) and in fact, hope to be in a fortunate enough situation to rent it out when we want to move. If the issues currently appear to be cosmetic in nature, we can get by without fixing.

My biggest concern was if there was damage due to a leak or perhaps a poor structural foundation. Essentially, anything that we should take action on NOW to prevent things getting worse.
If there was damage from the leak you'd most likely see telltale discoloring.

If it makes you feel any better, my house is 60 years old. Before we bought it, it was renovated. There are a few cracks that have opened up about like yours that mostly seem to line up with seems in the drywall around door frames. I don't really worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House