Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 04:35 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times

Advertisements

I always knew there was one setting that stops the flow. I knew I guess that's so you can stop the flow while using the shower, but not have to worry about finding the right pressure and temperature again.

But is it actually okay to use regularly? Would it be bad for the plumbing? Is there a limit on how long to keep the flow turned off?

I get cold in the shower so like to keep the water running. I don't take long showers, about 5-6 minutes, but the cost of water is going up.

How much water would it save even, to stop the flow while I'm soaping up or whatever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 05:30 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I always knew there was one setting that stops the flow. I knew I guess that's so you can stop the flow while using the shower, but not have to worry about finding the right pressure and temperature again.

But is it actually okay to use regularly? Would it be bad for the plumbing? Is there a limit on how long to keep the flow turned off?
Think about this for a moment. All you are really doing is shutting off water flow at a different point in the overall system. When you aren't using the shower (or the toilet, sinks, washing machine, dishwasher, outdoor faucets, etc) at all, doesn't that also create a pressure build up in the pipes? FWIW, I have a hand held shower sprayer with a flow shut off. I've used it while soaping or scrubbing for years without problems. IME, it doesn't totally stop the flow...it still dribbles a little. How much water (or energy used to heat it) this saves I don't know but reducing any flow at all will save more than doing nothing.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-10-2022 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-10-2022, 05:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
I'm not quite sure what you're asking - but the type of faucet you're describing is quite common in long range offshore boats, where water is a premium. I personally wouldn't use this shutoff as the full time valve - only while showering to save water.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:29 PM

6,008 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:

I get cold in the shower so like to keep the water running. I don't take long showers, about 5-6 minutes, but the cost of water is going up.

How much water would it save even, to stop the flow while I'm soaping up or whatever?
It's perfectly fine to use the shutoff on the shower head to turn off the water for several minutes (or longer if you wish). It won't hurt the plumbing or anything. It will save a little water plus save the gas or electric that you use to heat the water. The savings won't be huge, but it might amount to a few bucks per month which you could use to spend on something else. Even if it didn't save money, it helps to conserve water and conserve the energy that it takes to heat it.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:31 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're asking - but the type of faucet you're describing is quite common in long range offshore boats, where water is a premium. I personally wouldn't use this shutoff as the full time valve - only while showering to save water.

Navy shower!
Yes, water (especially hot water) is a premium when depending on a water maker that only makes so many litres/hr. On my boat that is the rule- wet, soap, rinse, done! I don’t givash!t about your hair- wanna shampoo? Do it with seawater on the sugar scoop!

Old 09-10-2022, 07:29 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
I have it as add-on on my shower head. Saves water. No adjustment needed after you turn it on again.
I use it frequently.
https://www.amazon.com/Showerhead-St...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Last edited by elnina; 09-11-2022 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-10-2022, 08:00 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Navy shower!
Yes, water (especially hot water) is a premium when depending on a water maker that only makes so many litres/hr. On my boat that is the rule- wet, soap, rinse, done! I don’t givash!t about your hair- wanna shampoo? Do it with seawater on the sugar scoop!
Entertaining to watch during red tides and in the midst of Sargasso seaweed ...

Old 09-11-2022, 06:20 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Thank you very much everyone for replying. I'm going to try it then. The main problem for me will be getting cold while in the shower.

Quote:
That is what I was asking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's perfectly fine to use the shutoff on the shower head to turn off the water for several minutes (or longer if you wish). It won't hurt the plumbing or anything. It will save a little water plus save the gas or electric that you use to heat the water. The savings won't be huge, but it might amount to a few bucks per month which you could use to spend on something else. Even if it didn't save money, it helps to conserve water and conserve the energy that it takes to heat it.
Or simply start making ends meet again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Think about this for a moment. All you are really doing is shutting off water flow at a different point in the overall system. When you aren't using the shower (or the toilet, sinks, washing machine, dishwasher, outdoor faucets, etc) at all, doesn't that also create a pressure build up in the pipes? FWIW, I have a hand held shower sprayer with a flow shut off. I've used it while soaping or scrubbing for years without problems. IME, it doesn't totally stop the flow...it still dribbles a little. How much water (or energy used to heat it) this saves I don't know but reducing any flow at all will save more than doing nothing.

Yes, I noticed that as well.

Thank you!

Old 09-11-2022, 06:56 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Shower heads in the US are restricted to 2.5 gallons per minute with California limited to 1.8 gallons. You can do the math at how much you'll save.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:57 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Thank you very much everyone for replying. I'm going to try it then. The main problem for me will be getting cold while in the shower.

That is what I was asking about.

Or simply start making ends meet again

Yes, I noticed that as well.

Thank you!
I did that in California all the time. The showerhead we used was about 25 years old, or even maybe more. And it worked like a charm up till the day I left that house. Here’s what I did, I would plug the tub and let the water run until it got warm and I had a base of water at the bottom, step in, wet myself down, turn off the water, soap up, then rinse. The water at the bottom of the tub kept me from slipping. When I put a soapy foot down it didn’t hit tub, it hit water, rinsed itself, then hit the tub. If that makes sense. That base of water allowed me to pre rinse. It also softened my dead skin so I could pumice my feet.

I do not use conditioner in my hair. I never liked what it did, it caused more problems than it solved. I just used a heavy duty moisturizing shampoo, and now I’m using a Redkin Spray on solution called One United. My hair’s so happy.

As for it really helping? Yeah, it does because as a single woman, I used less than 40 gallons of water a day.

I moved cross country back to where I grew up, and I am using more than that now. Of course, I’m not in a drought here either. Feels luxurious to not turn the water off during a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House