Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 07:37 PM

583 posts, read 592,489 times

Advertisements

So I'm struggling right now trying to find a solution to prevent or at least reduce the intrusion of low frequency highway noise coming into the house. Jake brakes from trucks are particularly bad in this situation.

I had one Pella triple-pane "sound proof" window installed and it did very little to help.

Then for another window I purchased an insert of acoustic glass from Indow and that isn't doing much either to reduce the noise coming from engines and other low frequency sources.

Has anyone had any luck finding a solution that is not ear plugs, a sound machine or moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:04 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Conifers
Build a layered wall
Wait 5 years
You be good

Old 09-23-2022, 08:30 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Hard solid surfaces don't do much against low frequencies. The best way to block low frequencies is a double wall with acoustic insulation between the layers. So it's not going to be an easy undertaking, unfortunately.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:34 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
As dave said-

A barrier between you and the road. A line of trees, a hedge of tall shrubs, along with a fence, wall, or other barrier that can deflect the sound waves away from the home.

Trying to retro a home’s windows, walls, insulation, etc. is just a exercise in futility that empties your wallet!!! That type of construction has to be done in the building stages.

Old 09-25-2022, 04:53 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Low freq tones are very hard to quell.

I don't even think "noise canceling head phones" are going to be effective.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:40 PM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
I appreciate all the help and advice. I was really hoping the $1000 Indow insert would fix things but no luck and I'm afraid there is no solution.

I did find a video of a Marvin window dealer that put in a double-glazed window with a storm window for a guy near an interstate and that seemed to help. If I could even just muffle the truck jake brakes it would be a small victory.

Old 09-30-2022, 04:12 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
So I'm struggling right now trying to find a solution to prevent or at least reduce the intrusion of low frequency highway noise coming into the house. Jake brakes from trucks are particularly bad in this situation.

I had one Pella triple-pane "sound proof" window installed and it did very little to help.

Then for another window I purchased an insert of acoustic glass from Indow and that isn't doing much either to reduce the noise coming from engines and other low frequency sources.

Has anyone had any luck finding a solution that is not ear plugs, a sound machine or moving?
I live in an apartment and have a jack brake noise problem too. And like you the double-pane windows I have do absolutely nothing to help. Might as well have the windows open. Since this is an apartment my options are limited. So I have a 2 inch thick foam panel which is not soundproof inserted into the inside of my bedroom window frame. This seals up the window and creates a blackout. I have that covered with a layer of self-adhesive automotive acoustic eggcrate design sound deadening foam material. It’s not pretty but it does reduce the traffic noise by about 80%. So I don’t get woken up at 3 AM by the sound of a jake brake. On the plus side it’s easy to remove anytime I want. So I can get daylight and open the window if I want.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:47 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
When I was an apartment dweller, I had double glazed windows that helped some, but I also had a through the wall air conditioner. If you put the fan on and closed the window, it worked out fine for me. Something about the fan motor being in the wall really helped.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Those trucks are pretty loud, and may require several levels of sound work. We have triple pane on all of ours but more for the energy bills, being in a quiet neighborhood. Lined drapes or even cellular Roman Shades may help absorb some of the sound. There may also be places other than windows letting it in such as doors, chimneys, or walls/ceilings with minimal or no insulation. If that area of the house has floor crawl space vents, sound may come through them and be amplified through a hardwood or vinyl floor (non-carpeted).

Old 10-03-2022, 05:46 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
I have seen special windows used in commercial applications before. I did an apartment tower right next to Union train station here in DC 10 years ago. Several trains running literally right outside the apartment unit, and you could hardly hear them. I haven’t a clue what they were (other than insanely expensive), but they worked.

Mercedes vehicles can come with “acoustic” glass that I understand is pretty amazing at eliminating the sounds of traffic. So the technology does exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House