Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 11:30 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No advice on paint, but I suggest that you put some pallets between the sacks of pellets and the concrete floor. Concrete gets damp and those pellets are ruined by damp and they are no longer cheap so they are not disposable.
Well, hopefully the interior of the shed will stay dry (I will keep snow/ice away from it as much as possible, of course), but the pellets will be on pallets inside the shed (as they are in my garage). Actually, just about anything I would store in there would be on a pallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Large amount of pellets? Yes indeed. There is a price break with volume and they are much less expensive when purchased in the summer. Not to mention, it is nice to not have to worry about where your heat is coming from for the next couple of years. Right now, heating fuel is a bit unsettled and it would feel good to not have to worry about it for awhile.

Many of the suppliers give free delivery if you buy a large amount.
Yes, that's exactly how it worked years ago when I bought 18 tons (as much as would fit on a truck when they also brought a pallet jack). IIRC, the price break per ton was $30-40 and I got free delivery into my garage (almost all of them fit -- I think I had 2 tons outside, and I used them first). It was thousands of dollars but worth it to know I had heat for several years, especially because due to my particular house set-up (and my own quirk about liking a VERY cold room for sleeping), I like pellet heat MUCH better than I like oil heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 06:53 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Get your clues from knowing what type of wood it is made of and if it is pressure treated. I gather you want to assemble it right now before winter takes hold.
Watch this.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Get your clues from knowing what type of wood it is made of and if it is pressure treated. I gather you want to assemble it right now before winter takes hold.
Watch this.
I won't be assembling it, the shed company does that. All I have to do is paint it, which is what this thread was about.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I won't be assembling it, the shed company does that.
All I have to do is paint it, which is what this thread was about.
Stain. Not paint. Assuming it's actually wood.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:45 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
There are some latex paints that can be applied to perhaps 40Ëš F. outdoors, but it can take a few hours for it to dry. Better check the weather forecast to make sure it won't rain

To me it makes a lot of sense to paint the exterior walls when it is dry outdoors, and the temperature is from 50-80 degrees. At 50 degrees and low humidity plus ventilation, the paint should dry just enough in about 3 hours. You can help it a little by using a powerful floor fan, or what is called, "turbo fan."

I painted a shed recently and the temperature was in the 40's. Four hours later the exterior "flat paint" was still wet before the rain and snow fell. It has a sort of "zebra-looking" finish now, so I will have to paint it properly next summer. It was 15 degrees last night.

Old 10-16-2022, 06:48 AM

Oh, I should have stated that I am required to do SOME kind of finish (paint or, if possible, stain) very soon after the shed is installed in order for my warranty to be in effect. I am hoping that priming (2 coats) will satisfy that requirement, if I can't get everything done this fall due to the weather. (I would also like to wait until the spring to give me more time to decide on a final paint color, since I will be painting the exterior of my HOUSE next year too, and I'd like the colors to match! If I can do staining instead, and choose to, I will just get a deep brown color, which I know will match any of the exterior paint colors I have in mind.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Stain. Not paint. Assuming it's actually wood.
My question was more about if I could simply PRIME IT this fall (since I won't have much time, given our mid- to late-fall temps), then paint (or stain) it next spring. I think I could do that -- i.e., I think 2 coats of primer should "hold up" well until the spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There are some latex paints that can be applied to perhaps 40Ëš F. outdoors, but it can take a few hours for it to dry. Better check the weather forecast to make sure it won't rain

To me it makes a lot of sense to paint the exterior walls when it is dry outdoors, and the temperature is from 50-80 degrees. At 50 degrees and low humidity plus ventilation, the paint should dry just enough in about 3 hours. You can help it a little by using a powerful floor fan, or what is called, "turbo fan."

I painted a shed recently and the temperature was in the 40's. Four hours later the exterior "flat paint" was still wet before the rain and snow fell. It has a sort of "zebra-looking" finish now, so I will have to paint it properly next summer. It was 15 degrees last night.
Our temps should be at least in the 40s for a while now, so I'm hoping delivery/installation will be in the next few weeks. The shed company is supposed to let me know this coming week.

I HAVE a commercial-style turbo fan, so I may use one of my heavy-duty long extension cords to help the primer dry faster! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-16-2022, 07:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
My question was more about if I could simply PRIME IT this fall
You don't prime with STAIN.

The weather/temp Q's you have are LOCAL. Ask up there.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:11 AM

2,051 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Good assumption, but I can't remember if it's right. The shed in my back yard is something called "smart panel" and I got it something like 15 years ago and it's held up fine -- in fact, better than the wood DOORS, which I will need to replace within the next few years. I may have gone with that for this shed too -- I have to find the specs from April 2021!

I believe that stuff comes pre-primed and ready to paint. If you need to paint it now to keep your warranty good but don't know the color, put one coat of light gray paint on it. Then in the spring when you've decided on the color for your house you can paint the shed that color and it should look the same as the house.

Old 10-16-2022, 06:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
So, can we see a picture of said-pellet-she-shed?

Old 10-16-2022, 08:45 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams has both paint and primers that work at 35 degrees. Some other brands go down to 35 as well, but I'm not a fan of the cheaper paints.
At 40 and below, drying time can be greatly extended so you may have to wait a day or two between priming and painting.
I'm pretty sure that the instructions for primers say to topcoat with a couple of weeks, so priming and then waiting until spring for the paint isn't recommended.
I think you'll be fine if you get a quality paint and prime and paint in the morning when the wood has warmed some, then it has all day to dry before night-time cooling and dew forming.
If it were my shed, I'd would make sure the first coat of primer gets as much drying as possible before second coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House