Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 06:00 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

In general, you're right.. It can decrease the efficiency, but.. It's not going to cause it to NOT WORK, which seems to be OP's problem. It really isn't even going to cause a highly noticeable change in operation. What it certainly can do is put more stress on the compressor, leading to an early failure.. So.. I'm dancing a line here.. What you're proposing isn't really going to fix anything.. But, it's still TOTALLY worthwhile information, because it is something that should be done to avoid possibly shortening the life of the unit.

In other words.. at this point, it's closing the barn door after the horse has already escaped. But that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to close the door!
He didn't say it was NOT working. He said it wasn't keeping things cold. I have a window A/C unit in my garage and when it get's munged up it will run, but coils will ice up and not blow cold air until it's fully cleaned it works.

It's always wise to clean those coils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 07:04 PM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Parts for a 9 year old LG are going to be difficult to get.
^^This

Any age refrigerator, you can't get parts, my Dad's whirlpool water valve was leaking onto the tray, after getting water, guy came out yesterday, can't get parts. Many parts were discontinued and production went down or not making them anymore. Appliance parts are very hard to get.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:36 AM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
He didn't say it was NOT working. He said it wasn't keeping things cold. I have a window A/C unit in my garage and when it get's munged up it will run, but coils will ice up and not blow cold air until it's fully cleaned it works.

It's always wise to clean those coils.

Also said "I can tell it has power because the lights are on"

No point in mentioning that unless "Not keeping things cool" meant.. Not working at all.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:29 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Around here if you set anything like this out by the curb the night before trash collection it will be gone in a few hours by the scavengers.

Well Trash around here won't take large items except for the once or twice a year 'bulk pickup' Then anything with scrap value often does disappear the night before. But fridges and freezers have special rules. If they are left out where they would be 'attractive to kids' they have to have the doors removed (not just propped open). If you don't you are more than likely to get a visit from a sheriffs deputy to resolve the issue. Over the years too many kids have been found trapped inside fridges

Old 10-27-2022, 08:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Well Trash around here won't take large items except for the once or twice a year 'bulk pickup' Then anything with scrap value often does disappear the night before. But fridges and freezers have special rules. If they are left out where they would be 'attractive to kids' they have to have the doors removed (not just propped open). If you don't you are more than likely to get a visit from a sheriffs deputy to resolve the issue. Over the years too many kids have been found trapped inside fridges
I didn't say trash takes them anytime, I said the scavengers come around the night before trash pickup. Put out your stuff at 9pm and if it's there in the morning bring it back in. Either way, it'll be gone long before a sheriff gets around to anything.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

The days of kids getting trapped and dying in refrigerators are long over. Old, very old, fridges had handles that latched shut, meaning if you were inside you could not get out. Fridges since at least the 70's have magnetic latches and you can push the door open from the inside.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:08 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The days of kids getting trapped and dying in refrigerators are long over. Old, very old, fridges had handles that latched shut, meaning if you were inside you could not get out. Fridges since at least the 70's have magnetic latches and you can push the door open from the inside.

They had one here a few years ago where a kid got in it and it tipped over so the door was closed and the kid couldn't open it. Luckily another kid saw it happen and ran for help. local laws were changed so doors have to be removed. It turned out that although rare, doors get jammed shut because other things fall against them. Folks made a case for the change and it passed.

Similar to kids getting locked in car trunks, it happens just often enough that people go to extreme measures to try and prevent it. My car reminds me when I turn it off to check the back seat for occupants (If the back doors had been used at the beginning of the trip) because kids have been left in car seats.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:18 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I've never even considered that but definitely something to do going forward.

Well, the tech came and instantly said that this isn't the type of Kenmore that has the well known compressor issue. So far so good, but after going to the back of the fridge, he came to the conclusion that it still is a compressor issue. Total cost of repair if I decide to repair? Let's try almost $1,700 and 2-3 wk lead time. No thank you. Time for a new fridge. Think this time I'm going with a top freezer old-style fridge, nothing fancy. This was my expensive purchase and that didn't go well.
Something like this...

https://www.costco.com/whirlpool-20-...100426121.html

Old 11-02-2022, 10:31 AM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Those are often the best ones. Something basic without massive bells and whistles. Something that is NOT computer controlled.

They'll often use a bit more power and cost more in electricity over their life to run.. But.. The initial cost will be lower, maintenance costs will be lower and stress will often be lower.

The biggest headache you'll hit on that thing will be, same as with most any fridge.. Problems with the ice maker. So, if you have an ice maker, that is apt to break.. But.. Often you can find aftermarket ones very cheap. I put a ~$20 one in here at our office and that sucker has been cranking out ice for 5 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House