Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 03:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
This is the quote ...
It's not. It's absurd.

You need TWO detailed quotes. Mostly you need different contractors.
Don't be impressed by pretty brochures or printed docs.
Attached Thumbnails
Is k to replace 3.5 ton furnace and AC reasonable?-mcgonnigal-quote-large.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 06:02 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
I've never had a gas furnace, so I don't know. How much is reasonable cost is based on cost of living where the property is, the brand you get, the rep of the company you use, and whether they charge 4-4.5% fee to charge the payment. The time of year also makes a difference. Replacing a/c in the middle of summer is gonna cost more. Replacing heat in the middle of winter is gonna cost more.

I got a 3.5 ton heat pump (handles heat & a/c) 3 years ago. Trane brand. No fee to charge to credit card. Included a bit of reworking of duct to one room on the other end of the house, and free filters for intake/returns that'll last for my lifetime. And a new thermostat, of course. No having to deal with gas. I paid $8,000. That was 3 yrs ago, south Louisiana, lower COL than a lot of areas in the north.

You're in CA, which has a higher COL than where I live. Depending on the specifics of what will be provided, as I state above, $14k may be a reasonable price.

I got three quotes, is how I determined a fair price. You should get three quotes, IMO. That's how you know the going rate. And get them for identical brand and equipment and method of payment.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:56 AM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
The quote, like others have said, is garbage. No details on brand, which to me implies they will find the cheapest unit they can, then call it industry standard.

Is your outside unit on the roof, requiring a crane to get it up there? This was common in Bakersfield, but I don't know about other areas of California. If a crane is necessary, that will add to the cost.

The 2023 15 SEER requirement is a Federal change, not just California. Interestingly, any inventory of 14 SEER units cannot be sold, and has to be shipped to the Northern US or returned to the manufacturer. This will drive our local home show radio guy insane, since he's said for years that the cost difference between 14 and higher SEER isn't worth it.

Get more quotes, with details of the equipment on offer, and get back to us.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:41 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Order your own NEW system for about half, and pay an off-season hvac guy a couple grand to hook it up:

here is a brand new system and a serious upgrade from what you have, for $8k DELIVERED! - https://iwae.com/shop/4-ton-17-seer-...w-ha16424.html
17 seer, 96%eff furnace, and DUAL FUEL (heatpump)! You'll save some serious coin on operation costs!

You can get cheaper/less efficient models there too: - https://iwae.com/shop/heating-air-co...ng_capacity=66

Last edited by CCCyou; 11-25-2022 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 12:38 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Here in Columbia SC, I had a 10 year old York HVAC system, gas heat, replaced with a Rheem 2 ton, 14 SEER system for a total of $7,200.00 including a programable thermostat. The original quote was about $8,200.00 but I negotiated it down. No duct work.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:30 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Definitely get a 2nd and 3rd quote! I live in the same county as you and had my old furnace replaced, relocated from the garage loft to a platform in my attic in the center of the house, added a second return air with a weighted ballast louver, and all ducting replaced with smaller diameter ducting with integrated insulation. Total cost of my 4-ton Lennox furnace, coils, air handler, and ducting was $6K back in 2014 with Home Comfort USA. I left the 18 year old AC compressor since it was still working but the replacement cost was another $3K back then.

FYI, always get a couple of different quotes and enough information to price our equipment and labor costs. If you don't ask, you're opening yourself to paying a lot more than necessary. My revelation was when I was getting rooftop solar array quotes...they were all over the place and many of the big box contractors would shave off up to 33% from their initial quote because there was so much padding...it was like dealing with the proverbial used car salesman.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:59 PM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times
Another contractor came today and he recommended keeping 3-ton system so we don't have to create a new vent. He also agreed that the AC also needs replacement.

He will use a 3-ton Trane HVAC and will provide me the quote on Monday because he said he needs to check the price as the prices of HVAC system fluctuate quite a bit this year. From what he said, I can expect $9k to $10k.

The current system is in a closet in the laundry room.
Attached Thumbnails
Is k to replace 3.5 ton furnace and AC reasonable?-hvac.jpg  

Old 11-25-2022, 09:18 PM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times
I only need a 3-ton system as my house is 1600 sq ft. This 3-ton Goodman HVAC is only $3851.
https://iwae.com/shop/3-ton-13-5-see...w-ha11458.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Order your own NEW system for about half, and pay an off-season hvac guy a couple grand to hook it up:

here is a brand new system and a serious upgrade from what you have, for $8k DELIVERED! - https://iwae.com/shop/4-ton-17-seer-...w-ha16424.html
17 seer, 96%eff furnace, and DUAL FUEL (heatpump)! You'll save some serious coin on operation costs!

You can get cheaper/less efficient models there too: - https://iwae.com/shop/heating-air-co...ng_capacity=66

Old 11-25-2022, 09:28 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
How often do you use heat and at how cold does it get? How many appliances use gas?
Can a heatpump work? or MiniSplit HP work?

Old 11-25-2022, 10:30 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I only need a 3-ton system as my house is 1600 sq ft. This 3-ton Goodman HVAC is only $3851.
https://iwae.com/shop/3-ton-13-5-see...w-ha11458.html
Much better. Be sure to check with your town or county to find out if they're giving rebates for new units. My town gave a $500 rebate on my unit. Works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House