Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 04:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Pray tell why you did that. You gratuitously shot yourself in the foot. Of course you can uncap the lines and redeem yourself with new appliances. For the stove you might actually consider vintage, they will last much longer than 10 years.

Well like I said, the oven (which was 22 years old) was infested with mice, which I cooked unknowingly when I ran the self cleaning thing. A few days later when I started moving in....well if you've ever smelled dead mice in the wall just multiply that by about a hundred. That thing had to go and fast!

And I don't use a clothes dryer, so I had no need of that monster either. But the bottom line is I hate gas appliances, especially for cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 04:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well like I said, the oven (which was 22 years old) was infested with mice, which I cooked unknowingly when I ran the self cleaning thing. A few days later when I started moving in....well if you've ever smelled dead mice in the wall just multiply that by about a hundred. That thing had to go and fast!

And I don't use a clothes dryer, so I had no need of that monster either. But the bottom line is I hate gas appliances, especially for cooking.
Well if you hate gas appliances, I'm at a loss to understand why you hate them. They (old school ones anyway) work when the power is off, note my description of a sunny Colorado winter morning (previous post) with no electric power and how my house with gas water heat, gas stove, and gas space heat rode right through that with the only inconvenience to me being lighting that gas stove burner with a match.

I personally prefer a gas range as I, being a guy, learned to cook over a camp fire rather than on my Mom's electric range, and I "get" the amount of heat a certain size flame is putting out more intuitively than whatever "7" on the electric control knob means. And the response of gas is undeniably quicker.

But, whatever, if you don't like it you don't like it. But I will still say at least a couple of gas fired wall furnaces would be welcome backup heat and you will probably find they are overall better than the oil furnace. As others have noted, you probably want vented units even though they do cost more initially.

If you could have arranged to run that mouse infested range again in the yard on self-clean, that *might* have got rid of the smell enough that you could have used it. Maybe.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:47 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
7yo battery? - I sure hope you're comfortable manually jump-starting that thing in the middle of a snowstorm!
the battery is easily assessable and the size of motorcycle battery. it does its autostart every 2 weeks and has started up flawlessly if it needs replaced in the middle of a snowstorm i am sure hubby would just get one from his motorcycle or one of our snowmobiles

He also has a hand held jumperpack the size of a paperback book that could easily jump start it without jumper cables

Old 01-13-2023, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 322 times
what are the delivery times for kohler electric generators?

Old 01-13-2023, 09:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Thumbs up Assuming a "small" Standby Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturodeMIguel View Post
Depends where you are in the country and how good your local independent reseller is.

One or two weeks up here in N.NE, delay here are less about delivery time, and more about scheduling an electrician and licensed gasfitter to complete the installation.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:13 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturodeMIguel View Post

I am sure it depends on your location and dealer

Old 01-18-2023, 06:09 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thanks for replying.

I have no idea what 'incidentals' are needed for anyone to advise. Feel free to ask.

I don't know how to find a supplier/installer even. I've poked around the Generac website but it's all so technical and pushy (the "needs calculator" page of course goes right to getting your private contact info) Cold calls are a major difficulty for me as well. Taking time off work to have someone come here, also an issue.

I'm just feeling my way now. I'm reluctant to spend on anything, these days, with inflated prices the way they are, but I want to think it through while I wait for prices to go down. If they ever do.

What other people did, how they made their decisions, those kinds of stories -in short form- would be of help to me as well. Knowing how 'normal people' manage this kind of thing I mean. (I wouldn't call myself 'normal people' when it comes to this kind of stuff)

I did ask the neighbor but she said she had nothing to do with the installation of the one at the house next door and couldn't give me any answers about it.

I never worried about it too much before, but as I get older I am starting to think about it. It got very cold. I was just bundling up and getting back into bed to stay warm when it came back on. I was worried about falling asleep and getting too cold. You never know how long these things are going to last.
How often do you get outages?
Could be less expensive to check into a hotel/motel for a few days if you are uncomfortable and afraid of cold - call it a “staycation”

Research in advance which hotels/motels accept pets if you have any.

I would explore the installation of a small wood stove vs generator install costs.
Some could be had for a song or free on a secondary used market. The main cost for you would be the chimney - get a good one -triple insulated.
Chimney is the most important for safety and economic benefits of the stove.

In addition you could find out that you may enjoy the heat from the stove- if only heating a small space where you mostly spend your time - it could be even less expensive compared to oil heat; you may even start it to use more often - making use of your good money.
You can’t do that with the generator.

Some wood stoves come with the cooking surface.
You could even collect fallen branches on your walks if you have a place to stack them for storage - they burn very hot and are free.

Old 01-21-2023, 05:23 PM

774 posts, read 1,049,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Thanks for this information. I am also considering a nat gas whole house generator. I am concerned with ongoing maintenance (because the thing is just going to sit there most of the time and be rarely put into service). I read they have to be tested and maintained with much regularity. This is the same reason I have delayed solar panels on the roof.
I recently had a Generac whole house generator installed and it is set to run a test cycle once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House