Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 11:43 AM

1,366 posts, read 995,609 times

Advertisements

So I just opened the window, and the humid dropped to 25%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 12:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I see you resolved your problem but I was going to suggest a whole-house humidifier unless you specifically and only needed it at night while sleeping, for example.

This brand has several models starting at maybe $150 and going up from there. You set the level where it is installed near your furnace (not sure if it has to be forced air) and you never have to refill the water so nothing to mess with. I love mine and have it set so it stays around 40% (doesn't get quite up to that on sub-zero but it helps a LOT).

https://www.amazon.com/Aprilaire-Hum...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Old 01-22-2023, 01:21 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Good post, thanks! I was looking for a 2+ gallon one at the time, and the ultrasonic one was the only one I found under $100 (barely). And it said warm. Nowhere did it say room temp warm! I packed it up and returned it quick, and replaced it with the smaller vaporizer (that I linked). Way smaller than I wanted but it wasn't expensive and served the purpose, though I do run it longer than the bigger one.

I once had a large console unit and always felt cold with it in the room. Ended up giving it away to a friend. Actually, I grew up with one of those in the family home. Never enjoyed cleaning them! So much easier with the smaller units.
Well, most humidifiers use a fan to circulate the air in the room, either pushing it across a water-saturated wick (an evaporative type) or pushing the water vapor the machine produces out into the room (ultrasonic type). The bigger the capacity of the machine, the more of a draft it will create. Moving air that's cooler than your own body temp of 98.6 will tend to make you feel chilly because it is constantly removing the heat your body produces away from you. It's called convection. If that moving air happens to be notably warmer than 98.6 (like steam from a vaporizer) you won't feel chilly.

Old 01-22-2023, 02:15 PM

1,400 posts, read 766,854 times
I've always just used the old fashioned Vicks humidifier..plug it in, steam comes out. It works really well, so much so that after a few hours I just unplug it. Mind you I live in a two story condo. For your needs, you'd probably just to keep it plugged in for 45 minutes. I know everyone is into the cold mist humidifiers, but my mother always said they were a breeding ground for bacteria and with the hot mist one, that is simply not a problem. As always, just use commmon sense as to where to put it. I happen to have a decorative table that stands about three feet high and this is perfect. Also, you KNOW it's working because you fill the container with however many cups of water and a few hours later, the amount of water is down considerably. Hope this helps. PS: I think they cost about $15.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:08 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I know everyone is into the cold mist humidifiers, but my mother always said they were a breeding ground for bacteria and with the hot mist one, that is simply not a problem.
This is why you clean the thing periodically! Vinegar will do and that will also help prevent mineral deposit buildup. Unless you let a humidifier sit unused for a very long time, the water in its reservoir isn't any more prone to bacterial growth than any other container full of water.

Just about all the models I've seen have reservoirs that don't leave the water exposed to the air. If the humidifier is being used regularly, the water sitting in it doesn't stay there very long, it gets expelled into the room. Then you refill the reservoir with more "fresh" water again.

IME, once again, makes the case for using distilled or RO filtered water to fill it. Less "food" to support bacterial or fungal growth. If you don't plan to use the humidifier, common sense should tell you to clean it and let everything dry before storing it. No bacterial growth.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 995,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I see you resolved your problem but I was going to suggest a whole-house humidifier unless you specifically and only needed it at night while sleeping, for example.

This brand has several models starting at maybe $150 and going up from there. You set the level where it is installed near your furnace (not sure if it has to be forced air) and you never have to refill the water so nothing to mess with. I love mine and have it set so it stays around 40% (doesn't get quite up to that on sub-zero but it helps a LOT).

https://www.amazon.com/Aprilaire-Hum...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
I have one!

I had it installed by a HVAC co; it hooks right into the furnace (they cut a hole in the furnace to do this).

Prior to the install, I had 20% humidity in the winter, and after, it's about 25%

Not sure why it isn't more, but....

Old 01-22-2023, 07:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
It is not working. Ours will raise humidity to a comfortable level in about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House