Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 12:23 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Keep looking until you find someone who will replace the glass pack for a reasonable price. I work for a small lumber yard, when we have a customer with a "foggy" window we order the new glass pack from a local glass company and install it in the sash ourselves for a very modest charge. And by modest I mean $5-$10. I can't imagine that we're the only ones in the world who do this.
Thank you. That is encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
While we eventually went with fiberglass, when we were first looking at bronze
aluminum windows, our builder suggested Western Window Systems, Weather Shield and Milgard.
Thanks. I will check them out.

Old 02-23-2023, 12:38 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
https://windowfix.com/

I had some of my windows fixed by this company. I don't know where you live, but this is the type place you will need.
the whole window does not need to be replaced.
it pops out, the window is unscrewed and the glass slides out. they pop the new glass in and it is done.

they will come to the house and measure the thickness of the 2 glasses with the thing, and then measure the window. I had mine the following week.
never had a problem again. I also have the bronze colored windows

double pane windows are really a PITA, I still think the wood windows with the aluminum storm windows were better. While there is more to wash, and the wood has to be painted, you never have to worry about the condensation between the glass again.

Old 02-23-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
https://windowfix.com/

I had some of my windows fixed by this company. I don't know where you live, but this is the type place you will need.
the whole window does not need to be replaced.
it pops out, the window is unscrewed and the glass slides out. they pop the new glass in and it is done.

they will come to the house and measure the thickness of the 2 glasses with the thing, and then measure the window. I had mine the following week.
never had a problem again. I also have the bronze colored windows

double pane windows are really a PITA, I still think the wood windows with the aluminum storm windows were better. While there is more to wash, and the wood has to be painted, you never have to worry about the condensation between the glass again.
I am in Hockley, Texas. I've called a local company, and they are supposed to be coming tomorrow to give me an estimate to replace the glass only. It seems that they do this routinely.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
I am in Hockley, Texas. I've called a local company, and they are supposed to be coming tomorrow to give me an estimate to replace the glass only. It seems that they do this routinely.

Yes, this is a routine thing, it isn't a big deal.
My one sash was roughly 28 x 32, (I live in the city, we have large windows)
(just the bottom sash)
If memory serves me correctly it was 150.00 a pop, tomorrow I will go thru my receipts in the office to see if I still have it, to see if my memory was good, I think I'm past the warranty though.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
(just the bottom sash)
If memory serves me correctly it was 150.00 a pop, tomorrow I will go thru my receipts in the office to see if I still have it, to see if my memory was good, I think I'm past the warranty though.
That’s the same size as mine. So hopefully mine won’t be any more expensive than yours.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
That’s the same size as mine. So hopefully mine won’t be any more expensive than yours.

IO looked for my receipt and couldn't find it. I did have my windows done several years ago, so the prices may have been changed, but you get the idea.

Good Luck with your windows.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
(just the bottom sash)
The guy says they are low-E windows and for two panels including labor and tax it will cost $730. And that is with the second panel at 50%. This was Glass Doctor. I think I need another quote.

I can't see anything on the window that says it is low-E, though they do have a greenish tint.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:44 PM

I'm not really sure what low E is.
I just had plain old glass put in.
I live in an apartment building (co-op) so to me it didn't matter, as long as the condensation was gone.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure what low E is.
I just had plain old glass put in.
I live in an apartment building (co-op) so to me it didn't matter, as long as the condensation was gone.
Mine need to match. I have thirteen windows in a small house. Just called another company who quoted $200 less, but they don't service my area because it is too far. I will keep trying.

Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House