Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 07:47 PM

784 posts, read 3,122,507 times

Advertisements

It's been a very long time since I posted here. Nice to be back.

My house has bronze-colored aluminum single-hung windows. I recently had an energy audit done by my electric company (San Bernard) and they guy said my windows were decent and didn't need replacing. Good news.

A couple of them have condensation between the panes on the upper part of the window, so I would like to replace them, but I can't find anything online about where I might buy some.

Any ideas, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I get bronze colored aluminum frame windows?-window.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 07:49 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
You don’t replace the entire window, just the glass.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:59 PM

784 posts, read 3,122,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You don’t replace the entire window, just the glass.
Thank you. This would be ideal of course. However, I called out a local glass company to fix one before and they told me it needed to be replaced. I went through with it and it worked out to be quite expensive.

I now have someone who can put one in for me for much less than they charge, but I need to find the window. This person would not be able to just replace the glass.

So, back to the original question.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:08 PM

130,493 posts, read 12,138,084 times
How do you know it would be cheaper to replace the window, & not just the glass? If you don't know the price of the window.
I think you should call another glass repair company, it shouldn't cost that much. Get another quote. If you source a new bronze window it may not match the existing ones.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:46 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,104,344 times
I sent you a list in a DM-

Old 02-23-2023, 07:35 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,698,884 times
Isn't the double pane unit just held into the aluminum frame by a rubber retaining strip? Pry out the strip, replace the double pane unit, push strip back in (you'd want to use a new strip as the old one's going to get brittle and cracked).

So the key would be getting new double pane units of accurate size.

I cannot imagine how it wouldn't be a LOT more expensive to replace the entire window (removing interior trim, detaching the window from the structure around the window, installing new window, sealing properly around it, securing it to the structure, replacing interior trim (maybe some exterior trim?) than just prying out the retaining strip and replacing the glass unit.

OP, I think you're dealing with people who either only want the big jobs and quote accordingly, or people who aren't competent.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:30 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,966,396 times
A few years back I had to replace some windows because there was condensation between the panes. If you call a window replacement contractor, they will tell you the whole window (including frame and molding) needs to be replaced.

Not true. The glass pane is a separate unit from the window frame. It can be replaced. I only had to replace the top glass pane on the top portion of those two windows.

Keep looking for the right kind of contractor. Search for glass replacement rather than window replacement.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,282,729 times
Keep looking until you find someone who will replace the glass pack for a reasonable price. I work for a small lumber yard, when we have a customer with a "foggy" window we order the new glass pack from a local glass company and install it in the sash ourselves for a very modest charge. And by modest I mean $5-$10. I can't imagine that we're the only ones in the world who do this.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:19 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,639,903 times
Re double pane condensation, what ever happened to the process of injecting some kind of fluid into the pane, then rinsing it out to clear the "fog"

Then the 2 holes for injecting and draining were sealed.

Used to see TV,etc ads for this, but not for some time now. Did this fix not hold up, or what ?

Old 02-23-2023, 11:41 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,093 times
While we eventually went with fiberglass, when we were first looking at bronze aluminum windows, our builder suggested Western Window Systems, Weather Shield and Milgard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House