Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 04:03 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Jotul stoves are good stoves as well, if yours is 20 years old it is a "Gen II" low emission/high efficiency stove. Do you remember what model it is, and does it have an ash dump or do you have to shovel out ashes from the main door?

Kerosene monitors is a new term to me. Do you mean kerosene heaters? The "Japanese style" type kerosene heaters are unvented and very clean burning, quite efficient but of course you have to use high purity kerosene which ain't cheap.

In terms of heating a whole house, putting the stove in the basement makes a lot of sense, but depending on how your house is laid out, it may be inconvenient to get to the stove to add wood. My stove is in the living room on an outside wall, not the best to heat the whole house but it does OK.
It has an ash dump. I am not certain about the low emission/high efficiency.

The kerosene 'monitor' is a kerosene heater but it is wired to a kerosene tank, not a standalone that you'd pour kerosene into, if that's what you mean. They are programmable and run on electric. Kerosene has gotten very expensive this past year. We try to get a gauge on how the prices are going to go and top off the tank when it's low/er.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 04:41 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
All wood stoves sold new since about 1990 are "high-efficiency/low emission", with a step up in 1992, and another step up in 2020, that I know of.

I have never heard of a heater called a "monitor", maybe that's a New England term?

Jotul makes a very nice wood stove, and their prices reflect that they are damn proud of their stoves. Looks like a new one will set you back over $3000.

I know around here propane is usually the cheapest it will get to in a given year in late summer. I would expect kerosene prices to behave similarly.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:04 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All wood stoves sold new since about 1990 are "high-efficiency/low emission", with a step up in 1992, and another step up in 2020, that I know of.

I have never heard of a heater called a "monitor", maybe that's a New England term?

Jotul makes a very nice wood stove, and their prices reflect that they are damn proud of their stoves. Looks like a new one will set you back over $3000.

I know around here propane is usually the cheapest it will get to in a given year in late summer. I would expect kerosene prices to behave similarly.
Thanks Mitch.

I do believe the term 'monitor' is a New England term. That's what everyone around here calls them.

We purchased the Jotul in 2003 or 2004 and it has performed like a champ every single winter and is still going strong. Floor model that at the time we paid almost $2K for. worth every penny. The white paint is starting to chip, but otherwise, all good. I'd buy another one no question.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:54 PM

I don't know where you would get anything currently made similar to the old Sotz fireplace tools, but I have had a set for almost 40 years and IMHO they are "The Bomb". About a yard long, there is a shovel (very seldom used), a poker, and an interesting rake, this last being the tool I use by far the most. It works to lift the coals out of an ash bed and is very handy as well for pushing ashes into the ash dump of the stove.

The yard-long length would at first appear to be awkward, but it keeps your hands well back from the fire, and in my experience is an entirely good thing.

I guess an amateur blacksmith could make these up, or really just a guy with an oxyacetylene welding setup and maybe a plasma cutter to form up the shovel head and the rake.

These went out of print long enough ago that there is not a lot on the net about them.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:39 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
i heated solely with wood for 6 years (mid-atlantic region) and another 4 with a combination of wood and anthracite coal -up until 2 years ago.

the great thing about coal was that it would reliably burn hot all night without my having to get up and feed it.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i heated solely with wood for 6 years (mid-atlantic region) and another 4 with a combination of wood and anthracite coal -up until 2 years ago.

the great thing about coal was that it would reliably burn hot all night without my having to get up and feed it.
So, what happened two years ago?

When I was in Idaho Falls I did burn some coal in my old school fireplace insert. Like you said, very good for keeping heat output up overnight and really easy to rekindle the fire in the morning.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:29 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

If can lay hands upon it and know what you're going hard coal is one of best solid fuels for burning in a boiler, furnace, stove, etc...

Anthracite burns clean, hot and long. Maybe not so good for steam locomotives, but great as "stove" coal.

Get it set up right and going properly and a hard coal fire will go several hours (depending upon weather conditions) without requiring attention. Add a stoker or use magazine feed and things can go twelve or more hours under right conditions.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:48 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If can lay hands upon it and know what you're going hard coal is one of best solid fuels for burning in a boiler, furnace, stove, etc...

Anthracite burns clean, hot and long. Maybe not so good for steam locomotives, but great as "stove" coal.

Get it set up right and going properly and a hard coal fire will go several hours (depending upon weather conditions) without requiring attention. Add a stoker or use magazine feed and things can go twelve or more hours under right conditions.
Anthracite is great if you live near the seams in PA. Other than that it’s a really expensive option for most.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:04 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Anthracite is great if you live near the seams in PA. Other than that it’s a really expensive option for most.
Well I did say if people could "lay hands" on hard coal.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

My understanding is that anthracite works very well in a steam locomotive if you can get it.

I'm pretty sure the coal I got in Idaho was from Wyoming.

There is/was a poster on here "The Coal Man" and he had some interesting observations on using coal for space heat. Have not seen him in several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House