Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 06:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
The point to having a cover over a grill or smoker is so you can stand there in comfort and grill on a hot or rainy day. A covered patio should have everything covered, but it depends on your situation. My future guest yard will only have a grill and garden bench for people to sit down, but they’re still going to have a cover.

People who spend serious time on their patios should have everything covered, including the dining area. I like the patio covers that Costco sells, and you could probably pick one up for 2k on sale. Or you could do a simple 2 by 4 cover with a top. No reason to grill in the rain though.
Oh thanks. I didn't think to look at Costco.
My husband use our smoker all the time. We need a covered patio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 08:36 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
OP-I'm in same boat. We looked into getting a sloping roof cover from our house and got quoted 18k. No thanks.

We saw a nice gazebo at Lowes-10x10 or 10x12 for about $1600+. We have a gas grill, Traeger and a Blackstone but those wouldn't be covered due to where the gazebo would need to be placed to not look off center from the windows in the back of the house.

I'd look into something like that if possible. Check Costco but theirs are expensive!

Old 03-11-2023, 11:26 AM

10,610 posts, read 12,115,646 times
OP -- for your inexpensive -- I won't say cheap -- temporary solution, what about multiple umbrellas.

Of course -- rain or no rain -- they'll have to be folded in heavy wind. But in rain with no rain, or very light wind -- they could serve the purpose.

Now, a permanent solution that would cover an outdoor kitchen/grilling area -- AND the seating -- THAT will have to be constructed to withstand wind, and gusts that could get under, or blow through the structure....I'd say up to hurricane Cat 1 strength.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
"Any ideas on where I can find something like this and is it possible for less than $2000?"

permanent solutions with current construction costs: not really.

alternative temporary possibilities include those posted.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:36 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Can somebody please give me some ideas on a outdoor patio cover.
Eventually I want to make a nice outdoor kitchen that is covered to be protected from rain and snow but can be used all year around. But the cost of such a project is more than I want to pay currently.

As of right now, I want some ideas on a patio cover that just cover the concreate slap I currently have.
We have a table and lawn chairs and a nice Treager smoker all exposed. I would like to sit outside in rain or hot summer days and also be able to cook.

Any ideas on where I can find something like this and is it possible for less than $2000?

Thanks all!
This idea might get poo-poohed but Costco had a pretty substantial gazebo type structure for sale for $1600 (on sale). I think it went back to about $1899 IIRC. There were people there buying 2 and 3 of them because you could make a covered patio for WAY less that building a structure off the house. I believe these also had fixtures where you could install some type of roll down 'sides' (for sideways rain and such but don't quote me on that.
We wanted someone to replace the overhang in the back of our house (it's constructed off the garage). Most wanted $10,000 or more to do the job. We declined and are going to leave it as is for now. $10K ain't in the budget.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I bought a "portable garage canopy" from Harbor Freight. It's big enough to park a car under (maybe 10 x 20 feet?), has a frame of metal poles, and a canopy of tarp material. Assemble it, move it over to where you need it, stake it down with some guy ropes. The tarp cover lasted about 2 1/2 years of Texas solar UV embrittlement; last big windstorm it tore all to shreds. I'm pretty sure the whole thing cost less than $200. It provided lots of cover from sun and rain for a minimal cost. No, it doesn't look all HGTV and everything, but it's in the back yard anyway. Here pretty soon I'll be investigating whether I can buy a replacement cover, buy a whole replacement canopy and just use the cover, or use standard tarps and recover it myself.

If you want fancy, call your local awning/tent company and they will have all kinds of ideas.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:38 AM

Here's either the exact thing I bought, or darn near it.

It'll get you under cover this weekend for short money, your steel lawn furniture won't rust, you can sit outside in the hot sun without burning up, and you can get it done this weekend.

No, it doesn't look like a $5000 cover, but you've got to decide what's more important.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...opy-63054.html

Old 03-13-2023, 06:01 PM

10,610 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Decent suggestion, but course, it won't work in even a medium rain or wind....IMO.
In a light, no sideways rain, OK, I suppose. But maybe I'm wrong.

What do the instructions say about sturdiness in weather conditions?

Old 03-13-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Decent suggestion, but course, it won't work in even a medium rain or wind....IMO.
In a light, no sideways rain, OK, I suppose. But maybe I'm wrong.

What do the instructions say about sturdiness in weather conditions?
Are you talking about my "portable car port"?

I was dubious that it would stand up to Texas wind storms but it has.

I anchored it in two places to my garage, and the other four posts are out in the yard with guy ropes. Occasionally I go out and drive the stakes a bit deeper.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
We have used several different structures for patio covers in the last several years. We always buy the pre fab stuff from Lowes, Home Depot, or Sam’s. I would recommend the metal roof over the fabric, especially if you have ice, snow or high winds to deal with. We just ordered a metal cover for our son’s patio and it was cheaper than having one stick built. We have used fabric and umbrellas and they are really temporary or as the young people say, disposable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House