Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 11:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times

Advertisements

Honestly, not sure how this happened. We recently moved into a new rental home that's pretty nice (looks newly remodeled). This afternoon a yellow jacket somehow found its way into my sons room. Now, we dealt with bee's in our chimney at our old place but I can't figure out how in the world he got up in the room. It's extremely unlikely he flew in from a downstairs door and made his way up to our son's room. Only thing I can think of is that he somehow got in via the HVAC vent (send). I recently opened the vent and it makes me wonder if that's how he got in. HVAC systems are closed systems though so... is it possible he got in from the attic? And came around the side of the vent? I haven't ventured into the attic and don't plan on doing so unless absolutely necessary. Just trying to think of other possibilities as to how the yellow jacket made it into the room. The window hasn't been opened since we moved into this place. Maybe it's a fluke... but after our last bee experience I don't want to just brush this off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 11:08 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Honestly, not sure how this happened. We recently moved into a new rental home that's pretty nice (looks newly remodeled). This afternoon a yellow jacket somehow found its way into my sons room. Now, we dealt with bee's in our chimney at our old place but I can't figure out how in the world he got up in the room. It's extremely unlikely he flew in from a downstairs door and made his way up to our son's room. Only thing I can think of is that he somehow got in via the HVAC vent (send). I recently opened the vent and it makes me wonder if that's how he got in. HVAC systems are closed systems though so... is it possible he got in from the attic? And came around the side of the vent? I haven't ventured into the attic and don't plan on doing so unless absolutely necessary. Just trying to think of other possibilities as to how the yellow jacket made it into the room. The window hasn't been opened since we moved into this place. Maybe it's a fluke... but after our last bee experience I don't want to just brush this off.
No different then a fly getting into a house really. They can fly in when the door is open real quick. Doesnt have to be related to the HVAC.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:54 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Most likely not-

There is a plethora of possibilities- doors, windows, wall and/or roof penetrations. Broken caulk seal around doors, windows, siding, trim, etc., etc. I wouldn’t overcook the brain trying to figure it out! Just kill ‘‘em and move on-

Old 04-14-2023, 11:55 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
There are significant differences in bees, wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets. Bees and wasps are fairly laid back, and I often just guide them outside. Hornets and (even more so) yellowjackets are aggressive. If I run across them, nuclear war is not out of the question.

If this is a new to you house, you might consider hiring an exterminator and getting a termite bond. The cost is minimal, and the inspection will turn up any pest infestations. My crystal ball is cloudy and can't tell where your flying critter came from.

Old 04-14-2023, 12:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are significant differences in bees, wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets. Bees and wasps are fairly laid back, and I often just guide them outside. Hornets and (even more so) yellowjackets are aggressive. If I run across them, nuclear war is not out of the question.

If this is a new to you house, you might consider hiring an exterminator and getting a termite bond. The cost is minimal, and the inspection will turn up any pest infestations. My crystal ball is cloudy and can't tell where your flying critter came from.
I wouldn't bet the OP knows the difference amongst species.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:08 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Rental!

Old 04-14-2023, 01:13 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Most likely not-

There is a plethora of possibilities- doors, windows, wall and/or roof penetrations. Broken caulk seal around doors, windows, siding, trim, etc., etc. I wouldn’t overcook the brain trying to figure it out! Just kill ‘‘em and move on-
This.

Also consider you don't have any idea just when or where that yellowjacket gained access to your house. You say you just moved in? Moving means there was a lot of traffic in and out over a short period. Doors and possibly windows were being opened and shut, and the people going in and out weren't paying much attention to the local wildlife. It could have wandered around in the place for days and simply ended up in that room. It also could have gotten a ride from somewhere else (even the house you vacated) on something you moved.

Getting in via the supposedly closed HVAC system? Remember Occam's Razor: all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the best one. Opened doors or windows, faulty seal or caulk, etc. When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

OTOH, yellowjackets can burrow into wood (siding, structurals, roof, deck, etc) so it could have wandered in from another area of the house. You could set up a DIY trap and monitor. If you find more of them contact the LL.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...nes-100363955/

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-14-2023 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 01:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I wouldn't bet the OP knows the difference amongst species.
Well... I'm no expert but I was fairly certain it was a yellow Jacket. I know a bumble bee from a paper wasp and it wasn't either of those lol.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:46 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Possibly the bathroom fan? Check outside for nests in the vent.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:46 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House