Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 05:48 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Not my problem, thank goodness, but "asking for a friend." For instance, when the HOA has neglected to address a roof leak or overflowing gutters and the owner of a unit ends up with a water-damaged ceiling or walls as a result, who's responsible and who pays? According to most condo rules, anything from the studs in is on the owner, but what if it's the association's fault? Would it at least be covered by insurance? Anyone ever experienced this situation and, if so, how was it resolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 09:04 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Gotta read the CCR’s!!!

“According to most…” doesn’t cut it.

I’d also be very adamant about the financial solvency of the HOA, and the management/maintenance of the property- it there a 3rd party management company that handles the maintenance? Who on the board communicates with said company?
How often does the HOA seek new vendors/bids for work/maintenance?

Old 04-19-2023, 11:21 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Typically begin by filing an insurance claim with your insurance company. Let them fight the battle for you. I know many ask why should I use my insurance company when it it not my fault. Sorry, but that is how the game is played.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:45 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not my problem, thank goodness, but "asking for a friend." For instance, when the HOA has neglected to address a roof leak or overflowing gutters and the owner of a unit ends up with a water-damaged ceiling or walls as a result, who's responsible and who pays? According to most condo rules, anything from the studs in is on the owner, but what if it's the association's fault? Would it at least be covered by insurance? Anyone ever experienced this situation and, if so, how was it resolved?
Yes. Not my unit, but that of my friend. She had a bookshelf moved and behind it the wall was full of mold. The HOA's building maintenance contractor and insurance person had to come look at it. It turned out there was a roof leak between her one-story "ranch" unit the higher two-story "townhouse" unit next door, and the water had come down behind her wall and caused the mold. The source was external.

The Association IS the homeowners, jointly, and when you pay your HOA fee, part of it is for the insurance that covers the shared components of building exteriors, sidewalks, common areas, whatever else is part of the joint ownership of the complex.

At our townhouse/condo complex, the portion of the HOA fee that is insurance is 24%. So, in addition to your walls-in insurance for your unit, you pay for the outside insurance through your fee.

The moldy wall was torn out, as well as the carpet once it was determined there was also mold underneath it, sheetrock replaced, room painted, and new carpet installed, paid for by the HOA insurance. Of course the building leak was also repaired.

This same woman experienced an interior pipe bursting and flooding her other bedroom 20 years ago. That time her own unit insurance was responsible for the cost of the repairs.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-19-2023 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-19-2023, 02:25 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Association IS the homeowners, jointly, and when you pay your HOA fee, part of it is for the insurance that covers the shared components of building exteriors, sidewalks, common areas, whatever else is part of the joint ownership of the complex.

At our townhouse/condo complex, the portion of the HOA fee that is insurance is 24%. So, in addition to your walls-in insurance for your unit, you pay for the outside insurance through your fee.

Again, one has to read the CCR's- not every HOA is the same- even in the same state! You can't just arbitrarily throw out verbiage and numbers- it maynot apply in the next HOA down the street or the next state.

There is no excuse for ignorance of the law- READ YOUR CONTRACT!!! Once you sign, you assume all responsibility.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:11 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Again, one has to read the CCR's- not every HOA is the same- even in the same state! You can't just arbitrarily throw out verbiage and numbers- it maynot apply in the next HOA down the street or the next state.

There is no excuse for ignorance of the law- READ YOUR CONTRACT!!! Once you sign, you assume all responsibility.
Exactly.

The OP asked for any experiences with damage caused to an interior from the exterior, so I gave her one. She will know to find out what is covered by her own insurance and what is covered by HOA insurance.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-20-2023 at 04:39 AM..

Old 04-20-2023, 10:05 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Our HOA is responsible for the shingled roof and any other outside damages that cause any interior problems to a unit. When we had a roof leak into our unit the HOA immediately had someone come out and take care of everything at no charge to us.
OP check with your management company and your CCR's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House