Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 09:49 PM

352 posts, read 160,783 times

Advertisements

Here's the data from my inspection report for the well:

Test location: Front exterior hose faucet.
Start: GPM reading- 7. Pressure reading- 48.
15 Minute: GPM reading- 4. Pressure reading- 55.
30 Minute: GPM reading- 4. Pressure reading- 40.
45 Minute: GPM reading- 4. Pressure reading- 58.
Well cycle pressure: Pump on at 38 PSI, pump off at 60 PSI.

I have no idea how to interpret it. Does this look good? This is a two full bath house, will two people be able to comfortable take shower simultaneously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 04:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
Here's the data from my inspection report for the well:

Test location: Front exterior hose faucet.
Start: GPM reading- 7. Pressure reading- 48.
15 Minute: GPM reading- 4. Pressure reading- 55.
30 Minute: GPM reading- 4. Pressure reading- 40.
45 Minute: GPM reading- 4. Pressure reading- 58.
Well cycle pressure: Pump on at 38 PSI, pump off at 60 PSI.

I have no idea how to interpret it. Does this look good? This is a two full bath house, will two people be able to comfortable take shower simultaneously?
Ask the inspector who did the test what this is telling you and what else he measured. Was this all you got? I've seen various well function reports but they varied in how they presented the information.

GPM is gallons per minute. That could be what the pump can pull per minute but it could also be how much water the well can provide per minute. Ask. You need to know how quickly water percolates back into the well from the surrounding soils (recharge or recovery rate) as the pump draws it out. Your pump could be great, but if the well can't fill fast enough to meet demand by the house, that will limit how much water can be used at a given time. Two showers will draw a lot.

IME, there will be a local minimum flow requirement for wells. This varies by location. Yours might be fine, it might be marginal. We don't know based on what you provided. I'm sure the tester would have notified you if it didn't meet requirements. Also realize these measurements were at a moment in time. The well's recharge rate could change seasonally. How much water it can produce in April could be different than what it an produce in August. If its marginal when flow through local soil is high, that could matter a lot during drier periods.

More info about private well testing:

https://wellowner.org/resources/wate...al-inspection/

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2023 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:27 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
As someone who lives on a well, and your GPM doesn't seem like a high number... I would not count on two people showering at the same time. How often is that really necessary? I've never lived where I could do that. I wouldn't count on being able to flush the toilet without the shower pressure being affected. That's just life on a well.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:00 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As someone who lives on a well, and your GPM doesn't seem like a high number... I would not count on two people showering at the same time. How often is that really necessary? I've never lived where I could do that. I wouldn't count on being able to flush the toilet without the shower pressure being affected. That's just life on a well.
As someone with a very "slow" well, I have zero sympathy for those with decent flow who whinge about it not handling extraordinary draw. A small cistern or holding tank and second household pressure pump will resolve any intermittent issue.

With my cistern I regularly shower, wash dishes, and do laundry all at the same time.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:26 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i sent this data to the engineers in the pump division at the company i work for . i retired from the motor control division but i still do control and drives training there one day a week

they own a commercial and industrial pump manufacturing division .

they just reported back .

-----------------------------------------------

" sounds good but the proof is in the pudding .

if he is unhappy he could always ad a storge tank as the well looks like it has enough gpm"

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-28-2023 at 04:40 AM..

Old 04-28-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i sent this data to the engineers in the pump division at the company i work for . i retired from the motor control division but i still do control and drives training there one day a week

they own a commercial and industrial pump manufacturing division .

they just reported back .

-----------------------------------------------

" sounds good but the proof is in the pudding .

if he is unhappy he could always ad a storge tank as the well looks like it has enough gpm"

Great info! Appreciate it.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:26 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
We have a well with a pressure tank. Works fine.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:45 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,248,713 times
Not an expert but as someone else mentioned, the constant 4 GPM over a few readings could be the rating on the pump itself. If so, the well could be capable of more.

I help manage a community well and the pump is rated at 23 GPM and that is very close to what it puts out any time the pump is running.

A typical shower might be 25 gallons over 15 minutes. Your well pump would have put out 60 gallons in that time frame. Plus you likely have some storage somewhere.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:57 PM

Yep, looks like shower should consume around 2.5gpm, so two showers would be 5gpm. So I hope we should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House