Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 09:08 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Clearly, you have never been married.
I'm married. I wash a lot of dishes. These days, the only time some does dishes for me is when I go camping with the Scouts and one of the boys does them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 05:49 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
I have heard that spraying the cooktop grates and placing in a plastic bag, leaving overnight (outdoors) will clean the gunk of the grates. I haven't tried it yet but I will.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:21 AM

5,465 posts, read 8,184,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Is lye safe to use on items you will cook with? Yes. You remove it in rinsing, and if you have ever eaten a bagel, part of the process of cooking them is a boil in a lye bath. The small amount that remains on a bagel is safe.
Also lutefisk. It is fish that has been cured with lye.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:35 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A trick I've seen online for this and for oven racks, is to throw them in the grass overnight. It sounds bananas, but people say it works a charm. (And doesn't involve lye.)
That's interesting, I wonder how it works.
People used to spread laundry out to dry on grass; the oxalic acid in clover (also called oxalis) helped bleach out stains.
Maybe this is the same, or tiny critters eat all the organics overnight.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:34 PM

37,622 posts, read 46,016,337 times
I restored an old cast iron pan with oven cleaner. It had a really thick coating of built-up crud - I nearly tossed it. But it had sentimental value for my BF so I decided to give it a go. I sprayed it and placed in a black plastic bag for 24 hours, then rinsed. It actually took about 4 rounds (4 days) to get all the crud off. But once I got everything off, I re-seasoned it, and now it's like a new (well-seasoned) pan.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:45 AM

12,457 posts, read 9,550,156 times
I just had to clean a porcelain bowl with some burned on food from the oven, that just wouldn't come clean with liquid dishsoap and a cookware-safe scrubby - even after 4-rounds of soaking and scrubbing - still lots of adhered carbonaceous sugar and fat.

Then I used some Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner on it in an empty sink and soaked that for 20 minutes, then scrubbed with the Easy-Off suds and a heavy duty scrubby sponge and it came out perfect. Probably I should have let it sit for 40 minutes, but it was easy enough anyway after 20 minutes and I was impatient to get my kitchen sink back;-).

Old 05-28-2023, 11:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,133 times
Seems to me dumping a lye bath down your drain will kill your otherwise healthy septic. I don't use lye for anything that will go down our drains for that reason. I'm not a plumber, but I do know how to follow my plumber's guidance....

Easy Off would be the better bet, as the vast majority can be wiped off and discarded before rinsing. That's the method we used to clean up FIL's old camping cast iron. Set the cast iron on newspaper outside, covered with EO, covered with plastic trash bag. Let sit overnight, use newspaper and plastic bag to wipe off, rinse. Repeated twice to get it all off - they were seriously cruddy.

Now we use them regularly in our kitchen.

Old 05-28-2023, 02:09 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Seems to me dumping a lye bath down your drain will kill your otherwise healthy septic. I don't use lye for anything that will go down our drains for that reason. I'm not a plumber, but I do know how to follow my plumber's guidance....

Easy Off would be the better bet, as the vast majority can be wiped off and discarded before rinsing. That's the method we used to clean up FIL's old camping cast iron. Set the cast iron on newspaper outside, covered with EO, covered with plastic trash bag. Let sit overnight, use newspaper and plastic bag to wipe off, rinse. Repeated twice to get it all off - they were seriously cruddy.

Now we use them regularly in our kitchen.
Look on the bottle of lye, and you will see in big letters "drain cleaner" as the primary use. It will be neutralized by normal waste, and especially all the vinegar that people seem to be in love with these days...

Old 05-30-2023, 04:53 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
1) Spray with thick layer of EZ-Off;

2) Cover sprayed areas with Saran Wrap;

2) Leave overnight;

3) Wipe off in morning; use steel wool to remove stubborn areas.
I use this method for the grates on my Maytag stove. I think I am going to try it on some cookie sheets that have become all discolored after minimal use. (They were speckled and pink - a 'special' item - never again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House