Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2023, 09:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

I have a round game table top, picked up years ago when I found it by the apartment dumpster. Picked up, carried around, stored in the garage....and forgotten about until rather recently. When I get the great room cleared out of its packing, I am going to need tables for all the chess sets I inherited (very grand chess sets), so it is up as one of the possibilities but as such, it is legless.

It has a square framework underneath with corners for legs but what's the best approach? Amazon has so many possibilities https://www.amazon.com/round-table-l...und+table+legs from 4 legs to crosses and pedestals.

What has been the experience with such approaches especially when it is mix and matched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 10:45 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
You measure the table high, buy legs of your choice and attach to the table.
Can't be easier.
If the table top has square framework for legs, then just get 4 legs.
Check with IKEA, they also have table legs.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/legs-trestles-11845/

Old 05-07-2023, 09:46 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Square and rectangular tables are “usually” built for legs…
Round tables generally have pedestals.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:50 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Seem to recall you've asked about table legs before OP and that you also got lots of suggestions. Maybe it wasn't this specific table, but if the table has a supporting frame for legs underneath, the shape of the tabletop may not matter. Suggest you search for your previous thread and re-read the suggestions.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-07-2023 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 09:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Will you use it to play games with others?
If you're playing games limited to two or four players, four legs are fine. But if you might crowd more people at the table, a pedestal is better.

If it's just used to display chess sets, number of legs doesn't matter.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:04 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
If I may ask, what is the table diameter?
From that you can calculate circumference, and divide by 24" to get its seating capacity.
(Ex: 30" table can seat 4; 48" table can seat 6; 60" table can seat 8)
Arm reach is roughly 22-26", so wide tables may need a turntable / lazy susan for convenience.

And, do you wish the table height to be standard 29", or some variation?
You can have unique table heights to fit specific requirements - low (coffee table), children's, kitchen table height, counter height, bar height, etc.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:16 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If I may ask, what is the table diameter?
From that you can calculate circumference, and divide by 24" to get its seating capacity.
(Ex: 30" table can seat 4; 48" table can seat 6; 60" table can seat 8)
Arm reach is roughly 22-26", so wide tables may need a turntable / lazy susan for convenience.

And, do you wish the table height to be standard 29", or some variation?
You can have unique table heights to fit specific requirements - low (coffee table), children's, kitchen table height, counter height, bar height, etc.
I will have to get back to you on that. Right now, the top is at the front of the garage and in order to get it out, I have to back both cars out and move some boxes. I just renoticed it while working back there. As it is, I do have a small lazy susan, Pier One type. Back to the table....and where it is stored now, that does bring up another question of....what about cross, scissor type legs, what are the thoughts on those?

Just asked because the dining room table to be has those kind of legs. Right now, though, it too is stored in the garage....pressed up against a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Will you use it to play games with others?
If you're playing games limited to two or four players, four legs are fine. But if you might crowd more people at the table, a pedestal is better.

If it's just used to display chess sets, number of legs doesn't matter.
"Ideally", yes. From chess (2) people to Parcheesi (4)......and I imagine a Ghostbuster's Council of War would be reserve for the dining room table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gxCT-U7A_A

I say "ideally" for chess would be romantic.....Parcheesi would be if the family has bugged out to the ranch.

However, to that point, I have two high director's chairs........and I suppose I could always get more. So from director's chairs on high to down to the level of mere mortals, I suppose that is what we are talking about. That is, high director's chairs, chess, pedestal? Normal height chairs, Parcheesi, legs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House