Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 04:39 PM

1,366 posts, read 996,346 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Bought a Lacidoll humidifier about two months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09H7G6N9X

Reason being, 1) it has a large water tank, and I didn't want to have to keep adding water every day or two, and 2) it has a thermostat for auto on/off functionality.

Well, the therm is clunky, because it does not read the correct RH. I have two other Thermpro Digital Hygrometers, that I tested and are accurate. Sometimes they will read 30%, and the therm in the Lacidoll will say 35%. Ok, that's not too bad. Other times the ThermPros will read 30%, and the therm in the Lacidoll will say 85%. Ok, that's bad.

I contacted the company, and the response was "we can send you a new one". So I got a new one, and they both do the same thing. :/

Is this maybe b/c the Lacidoll is too cheap? Should I get a more expensive one? Any experience here?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 06:42 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Let’s start with…

Humidifiers don’t have “thermostats”; they have “humidistats”. Now, I firmly believe that for a humidifier to work correctly the “hygrometer” should be remote. Putting the hygrometer within the device that actually produces humidity (and holds said water) seems to be somewhat counterproductive. If the purpose of a humidifier is to raise the moisture content of the air, would it not make more sense to read the humidity 10, 20 feet away- or two rooms away?

I have gone through 3 small (single room) humidifiers overs the years, and even though I have set it for the highest setting (which is supposedly 60-65%), I’ve never seen over 55-56% on my hygrometer. This is a roughly 400sq/ft en-suite bdrm with vaulted ceiling, and a ceiling fan that runs pretty much 24/7. The humidifier only ran when the room was occupied.

Basically, other than trying to control your water consumption I don’t really see your humidity level getting extremely high- it’s nearly impossible unless the house is hermetically sealed! Some electronics are just not as good as others.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:12 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
When the Lacidoll's humidistat reads 85% what happens if you relocate one of your independent Thermpro humidistats closer to it? Does it stabilize at or near the same reading? You could do some experimentation to arrive at a workable calibration between the two.

I agree with Knowledge...a humidistat incorporated into a humidifier might not be all that accurate. Unless it's shielded in some way it's going to bias itself. However, unless the incorporated humidistat shuts the unit down automatically based on a faulty reading, does it matter? As long as you have a consistent way to monitor the room's humidity level and the humidifier is achieving the level you want, you could ignore the Lacidoll's reading.

FWIW, because I've kept tropical rainforest exotic reptiles I've used a lot of stand alone humidifiers over the years (evaporative, ultrasonic, and a vaporizer). None of them had integrated humidistats. I've always relied on stand alone portable units so I could test with accurate readings in various places. Can't recall ever seeing one raise an entire room to such a high level of humidity. Even a big boiling vaporizer would find that difficult unless the room was very small and closed up. Obviously not what you'd want under ordinary circumstances.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-07-2023 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Humidifiers don’t have “thermostats”; they have “humidistats”.
Right - that's what I meant.

[quote=K'ledgeBldr;65248455Now, I firmly believe that for a humidifier to work correctly the “hygrometer” should be remote. Putting the hygrometer within the device that actually produces humidity (and holds said water) seems to be somewhat counterproductive. If the purpose of a humidifier is to raise the moisture content of the air, would it not make more sense to read the humidity 10, 20 feet away- or two rooms away?[/quote]

I thought of that. Are there any humidifiers with remote humidistats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
When the Lacidoll's humidistat reads 85% what happens if you relocate one of your independent Thermpro humidistats closer to it? Does it stabilize at or near the same reading?

Good thought - tried that; the Thermpro humidistats read the same.

Quote:
I agree with Knowledge...a humidistat incorporated into a humidifier might not be all that accurate. Unless it's shielded in some way it's going to bias itself. However, unless the incorporated humidistat shuts the unit down automatically based on a faulty reading, does it matter? As long as you have a consistent way to monitor the room's humidity level and the humidifier is achieving the level you want, you could ignore the Lacidoll's reading.
Well, that's what I am shooting for, but the Lacidoll's humidistat isn't consistently wrong. Making it almost impossible to consistently maintain 45-50% RH.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Right - that's what I meant.

I thought of that. Are there any humidifiers with remote humidistats?

Good thought - tried that; the Thermpro humidistats read the same.

Well, that's what I am shooting for, but the Lacidoll's humidistat isn't consistently wrong. Making it almost impossible to consistently maintain 45-50% RH.

Thanks!
I don't understand. Is the humidifier controlled by its humidistat or not? If it isn't, I'd probably base the management of the room with the remote one you've already bought and experiment with placing it in different locations. Too close to the Lacidoll might read too high, too far away might read too low.

Another suggestion: does the humidifier have an integrated timer? Humidistat aside, you could control how often and how long the humidifier runs (which in turn will influence the humidity level of the room) either using the incorporated timer or control the unit using a simple multiple setting timer. Back when I needed specific room humidities most domestic use humidifiers didn't have timers or built in humidistats. Easy enough to solve with a lamp timer from the local hardware store and a bit of patience.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I don't understand. Is the humidifier controlled by its humidistat or not?
Yes it is. Yes timer, but that doesn't help.

Old 05-07-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. Yes timer, but that doesn't help.
Still don't understand. This is my last stab:

IF the humidifier is "controlled" by the humidistat and you set a desired humidity level of...let's say 35%, are you attempting to say that the humidifier doesn't turn itself off when it reaches that point? Does it continue to run until the level reads 85%? If that's the case I'd return the thing as defective.

Sometimes simpler is better. A humidifier that doesn't have fancy controls may be better at providing what you want. It will also be cheaper to buy initially. You already have movable humidistats/hygrometers so use that instead. That and a multiple setting lamp timer should control the room's humidity quite well.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
IF the humidifier is "controlled" by the humidistat and you set a desired humidity level of...let's say 35%, are you attempting to say that the humidifier doesn't turn itself off when it reaches that point? Does it continue to run until the level reads 85%? If that's the case I'd return the thing as defective.
Right now as I type this, the RH in the room is 33%. That's what the ThermPros say. The humidifier thinks that the RH is 75%. If I set the humidifier to 45% - where I want it - it won't turn on, because it thinks the room is more than 40% higher than what it is. If I set the humidifier to 80% it will turn on, and run for a bit, but then, for some reason, if I come back into the room several hours later, I see a cloud of fog in the room, and the ThermPros read 90%. B/c the humidifier didn't turn off. But I have not always had this problem. Occasionally, when the humidifier and ThermPros agree (give or take), and the RH is 32%, and the humidifier thinks it's 36%, I set the humidifier to 45%, and it turns on and off as needed, keeping the room's RH at right around 45%. But that doesn't last. Does that mean the unit is defective? Maybe, but the two that I have operate the same way. Design flaw, maybe?

Quote:
Sometimes simpler is better. A humidifier that doesn't have fancy controls may be better at providing what you want. It will also be cheaper to buy initially. You already have movable humidistats/hygrometers so use that instead. That and a multiple setting lamp timer should control the room's humidity quite well.
Yes, sometimes simpler is better. Completely agree. But I want to set it and forget it. I don't want to have to keep going back into the room every couple of hours to manually turn the humidifier on and off.

Thank you for the replies.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:20 AM

Just got a response from the company:

Really sorry to hear that. Considering the current situation, we'd like to send you another humidifier with external humidity sensor as below. (pic) The humidity detection will be more accurate. Hope that could solve the case. Really sorry about our products.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:50 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Just got a response from the company:

Really sorry to hear that. Considering the current situation, we'd like to send you another humidifier with external humidity sensor as below. (pic) The humidity detection will be more accurate. Hope that could solve the case. Really sorry about our products.

Hum, seems I’ve heard that somewhere before…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House