Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 06:44 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Some things are going to cost money, just the way it is. Our water heater went out, so that had to be replaced.

For other things? I am big on maintaining what I can, I touch up paint, I recaulk when needed, stuff like that. YouTube is a life saver

I save references from NextDoor on painters, handymen, etc.

We are 60 miles out from any midsize town (60K), and it seems like anyone in our area is word of mouth. That made our first year out here pretty hard. DH is handy and works that YouTube, and has fixed a lot of stuff himself.

Otherwise, we have a savings account for emergencies (knock on wood).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 07:09 AM

10,310 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Life has been expensive with things around the ranch. Well motor (since it is the water supply, it can be a house subject) and now an AC fan motor. I can afford it but the sudden price tag does take the breath away. How does one handle it?

I am thinking a few steps to cushion the blow. Don't spend money just because you have it (I am actually pretty good at that). Set aside money for the House Repair Fund and hopefully watch it grow. Do preventative maintainance to keep big costs down which might mean paying for such a visit this far out of town?

What other things might one do.....other than moving, mind you?
You just supplied your own answer.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:55 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
DIY when I can.

Money in the bank when I can't.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:49 AM

743 posts, read 877,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Sweat equity!
Learn to do repairs yourself- there’s nothing better than knowing you accomplished a repair/job yourself; and the proof is right there in front of you!
This is one of the best answers. A homeowner can do so many repairs themselves. Even remodeling like I did in one of my bathrooms. I did all the plumbing under both sinks, replaced 2 sinks, faucets and all bathroom hardware. I love my bathroom and the fact that I did it myself.

I've repaired several dishwashers. I googled the problem and then bought the part and fixed it.

This year I am going to clean my roof and put the rubberized roof coating on my flat roof. That will be a big job, but if I do it myself I will save big. I googled it, YouTubed it, and asked people that have done it. I am confident I can do it. The hardest part will be lifting that heavy bucket onto my roof. I am a female, but I'm stronger than I look.

I think planning repairs is key so you can save for them. I am constantly accessing my property, especially because of it's character (mud adobe) and age.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:48 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Avoid expensive toys like hot tubs and swimming pools. Lots of upkeep and must fence the pool to keep out intruders who drown in your pool.

Avoid chandeliers. Expensive to buy, expensive to install. A pain to get to if high up. Must maneuver a ladder or hire someone to change bulbs or clean it, as it does gather dust. Expensive to upkeep. Can get a winch installed for several hundred dollars. Avoid buying downdraft ranges that require expensive ducting.

As an electrician, I dealt with customers on the above who would complain about my cost to work on these things. Something like "Well, the chandelier already cost me $3,000, now I have to pay you guys $500 to hang it?" Don't buy it to start with and save 3,500 without leaving the house. Had a wife complain about cost of our work to adapt a new JennAir range to the ductwork from the old one. All had changed. Plus, countertop had to be cut for extra width. Husband seemed to know it would be costly, wife flipped out. Some of the same people had BMW's and Mercedes' in the driveway too. Nice cars can be had for much less.

Buy moderately on TV's. You don't need a theater screen in your den. Same with sound systems. I have the same stereo I got in high school back in 1975. Replaced a turntable, added a cassette deck, later CD changer.

Our town used to have a guy who took in old appliances, except dishwashers. Nothing is ever left of an old dishwasher. Fixed what he could and sold for very reasonable prices. Stripped parts from other stuff and took skeleton to dump. People in hard times could get a refrigerator for $100 something, range about the same. Washers, dryers, $150 or so. Bridged the gap for a lot of people. I think he's shut down now, but many towns have a few guys around like that. Listen to the grapevine.

If you can find a brick house for similar price to frame, go with brick. Much less upkeep. I grew up in a brick house. Have lived now in a frame house for 30 years. Staining every few years, replacing boards eaten by carpenter bees, etc. We would buy brick if we ever get a redo.
Excellent advice. People don't realize that anything above basic of anything is a LUXURY item. Heck, even a GARBAGE DISPOSAL is a luxury item. The biggest and best.....people want these items as a way to show off or prove they "made it" in life. They cost the most, have the most bells and whistles that most don't use, and are more expensive to use, maintain, repair and replace.

I speak from experience. I pride myself on getting out of a housing project. Once out, I married, I worked, I could afford what I couldn't back then. Or so I thought. Debt came with luxury. I now realize I don't want the basic, low end of anything, too cheap. I don't want the high end of anything, too expensive. I want, use and am content with the mid range of anything. Those items usually fulfill my need and desire for what the intended purpose is for.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:00 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Excellent advice. People don't realize that anything above basic of anything is a LUXURY item. Heck, even a GARBAGE DISPOSAL is a luxury item. The biggest and best.....people want these items as a way to show off or prove they "made it" in life. They cost the most, have the most bells and whistles that most don't use, and are more expensive to use, maintain, repair and replace.

I speak from experience. I pride myself on getting out of a housing project. Once out, I married, I worked, I could afford what I couldn't back then. Or so I thought. Debt came with luxury. I now realize I don't want the basic, low end of anything, too cheap. I don't want the high end of anything, too expensive. I want, use and am content with the mid range of anything. Those items usually fulfill my need and desire for what the intended purpose is for.
You obviously don't do the dishes -- LOL!!! I like my garbage disposal (a good one last virtually forever).

Old 05-14-2023, 04:01 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Through most of my 30s and 40s I had a strict "no upgrade" policy. So if it worked, it worked.

Everyone made fun of my big, bulky TVs.

When something would break, I would celebrate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2023, 07:49 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
OP, just curious. Did you mean to say "...the House Cost of Living," or was that a typo?

Love a pun!

Old 05-15-2023, 07:02 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,150,883 times
Quote:

A truly wise person you are. You learned how to manage well and buy carefully.

I did a lot of work in bad neighborhoods over the years, yet still met some of the finest people there. I recall an old lady telling me not to stay after dark if I didn't finish the work that day, to come back following day. She had 5 locks on her door that stayed locked all the time. If I needed to run to the truck, she unlocked all 5, locked them back after I went out and unlocked again as I came back. I sure felt sorry for such a fine person having to live in fear.

I did some work for a couple in a wealthy neighborhood. The wife kept all doors locked, as the woman above. I gather she must have grown up in similar circumstances.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:02 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:

Very true. And, many of these items Americans consider common, are not found in other countries, or rarely. Dishwashers are not a thing here, nor are garbage disposals, nor ice-makers. We do have a dryer but never saw one in Europe. I can fill an ice tray or two, lol. Lots of places here don't have water heaters, because the water is always tepid.

And yes, to being a handyman. Otherwise, live in a condo like we do now in retirement where we are tired of home maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House