Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2023, 10:39 AM

564 posts, read 1,721,822 times

Advertisements

We have a Bosch set of compact stackable washer and dryer that came with the house 5 years ago, when we moved in. Judging from the models, they are probably from 2010-2012. The washer is starting to act up, as it is making a lot of beeping noises as soon as I start the cycle. We tried different things but with no luck. It may be that it is at the end of its life. Ready to buy a new one. What to do? Do I need to buy another Bosch washer? To go with the dryer? Or can I go with any other brand? I see LG has one, and much better price (and slightly better reviews), however, I worry that the size might be slightly different and the drier will not sit well on it. I know I could be asking the sales person this question, however, I find this forum to be very useful, so I am posting here before I go into the store. Bosch would mean Lowes. LG would mean Best Buy. The space we have to work with does require a compact model, smaller than 2.5 cubic ft. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 10:53 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Do you own a tape measure?

Old 05-13-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Do you own a tape measure?
Not sure if this response is sarcastic or truly trying to help, so in giving the benefit of the doubt, here's what I have to say: there is a stacking kit that keeps the two together, meaning the dryer is safely in place, on top of the washer, both being affixed to each other through the stacking kit. So there is more to it than just measuring the units.

Old 05-13-2023, 12:49 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
There are probably specific requirements on all units that might fit in your available space overall, stating whether or not they CAN be stacked, and how exactly the top unit must sit on the lower one (weight distribution, access to connections, etc.). A tape measure may be needed even if the overall dimensions of the appliance seems OK. You'll probably need to read the owner manual of every model you look at to find this information. A salesperson may be able to tell you which brands/models you'll need to dismiss right off the bat.

Just because the two units happen to be made by the same manufacturer does not guarantee a newer model will be compatible with an older one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-13-2023 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-13-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are probably specific requirements on all units that might fit in your available space overall, stating whether or not they CAN be stacked, and how exactly the top unit must sit on the lower one (weight distribution, access to connections, etc.). A tape measure may be needed even if the overall dimensions of the appliance seems OK. You'll probably need to read the owner manual of every model you look at to find this information. A salesperson may be able to tell you which brands/models you'll need to dismiss right off the bat.

Just because the two units happen to be made by the same manufacturer does not guarantee a newer model will be compatible with an older one.
Good points, however, these compact units are rarely on display in the store... I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this type of situation...

Old 05-13-2023, 01:14 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Good points, however, these compact units are rarely on display in the store... I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this type of situation...
You can look up owner's manuals/specifications of potential candidates on the web...

Old 05-13-2023, 06:11 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
What’s the model number of the washer?
10yrs on a Bosch doesn’t seem very long…

But I will say, electronics and water don’t play well together- which seems to be the biggest problem with washers (and dishwashers). “I” would strongly consider replacing the touch pad/screen and or main-board if all the “mechanicals” are working well.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What’s the model number of the washer?
10yrs on a Bosch doesn’t seem very long…

But I will say, electronics and water don’t play well together- which seems to be the biggest problem with washers (and dishwashers). “I” would strongly consider replacing the touch pad/screen and or main-board if all the “mechanicals” are working well.
This is Bosch Axxis +

How do we go about replacing the touch pad/screen? Sorry about the naive question. Call Bosch for a repairman recommendation?

On a separate note - I went to Lowes today and was told that even though the Bosch model I was interested in shows on their website, there are no units available in any of their stores or warehouses. No inventory what so ever. I did take a chance and ordered the model on their website, with a delivery date of June 15. Let's see what happens - I may be getting a message early next week about an order cancelation from Lowes.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:26 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
This is Bosch Axxis +

How do we go about replacing the touch pad/screen? Sorry about the naive question. Call Bosch for a repairman recommendation?

On a separate note - I went to Lowes today and was told that even though the Bosch model I was interested in shows on their website, there are no units available in any of their stores or warehouses. No inventory what so ever. I did take a chance and ordered the model on their website, with a delivery date of June 15. Let's see what happens - I may be getting a message early next week about an order cancelation from Lowes.
You could try to fix it: Bosch is a reliable machine, perhaps you need to just clean the drain pump, filter, run tub clean, etc - find a manual on-line

https://readytodiy.com/reasons-why-b...w-to-fix-0051/

If you can’t fix it

If you are short on space, don’t mind changing your consumer behavior and re-learning your laundry doing skills I would recommend fully automatic machine:washer and dryer in one..

Basically, you don’t have a laundry day, no laundry hampers: you wash as you go - pretty much every day - you could do it overnight with delay start. ( Just kidding - you still could have a laundry day and a hamper - )
The machine is quiet, gentle on clothing, no need to move the wet laundry to the dryer - you just get it out dry.

FWIW
A lot of complaints from US consumers - as most can’t figure out the process and trying to use it “the old ways” - which is not conducive

I was able to switch to fully automatic washer/dryer in one 10 years ago and would never go back to owning 2 machines - and I have plenty of space to have separate washer and dryer- it just doesn’t appeal to me..

Just for an idea - I haven’t use this brand - so can’t vouch for them

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KKKTRDG...3%7CB07KKKTRDG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GZQP8R7...3%7CB08GZQP8R7

LG could be better, their motors and balancing is excellent, they are quiet.
People complaining re wrinkled clothing is perhaps overfilling the dryer: it could wash twice as much as it could dry.

So if you have a smaller load - it will dry fine - I actually figured out that I only need to use low heat - even for bath towels- I have never used anything higher than low heat on mine for linens, jeans - it comes out perfectly smooth.
If you want to wash larger volume - then is better to remove half for drying - but then it defeats the purpose of automatic machine…
Still, not a biggie

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-24-in...5HWA/318060806

They even have much pricier one with the heat pump - like people use in EU, only theirs are 4 times less expensive

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-13-2023 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House