Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 08:55 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,833 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Not sure where to post this since I didn't find any apartment specific sub-forums. But these days I am hearing fire alarms going off in my neighbors apartment every day or every other day while they are within the apartment. I have no clue of what they are doing, but it freaks me out.

First time when I heard the sound, it went on for 5-7 mins. I went in my balcony and one of the guy from that apartment was standing outside his apartment, talking/laughing over the phone with someone and was not worried about the sound at all. I thought it could be a false alarm. This was like a week ago. But now for last 3-4 days, I hear the alarm going on every day at random times for 5-7 mins. They don't stop it for long. Today again it went off, then after 10 or so mins they stopped it and then in few seconds it went off again. This happened 3-4 times and I went in balcony many times to see if something is serious and if I need to be prepared to leave.

I haven't talked about it to the management company, but they are careless about everything. However they take care of maintenance issues very fast, just if anyone complains about noises or door slamming or parking issues then they are pretty much careless. Incase if something was wrong with fire alarm system itself, my guess is they would have fixed it by now. My neighbors are careless as well. They yell at each other in the corridor, slam their doors even in the middle of the night, sits in their car and plays loud music for over an hour while drinking in their car.

What do you generally do when fire alarm goes off in someone else's apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 09:15 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
When I read your post l was thinking about this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unex...nce-while.html

Are you sure it's not an alarm clock with a weird but loud tune?
Sounds like any of those?
https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/fire_alarm

But, you asked a legit question.
So, when the common area alarms sound off, everyone should stop what they're doing and get out of the building. They should get out right away before the halls finish filling with smoke.

More:
https://www.douglaskrantz.com/HUnitSmokeVsCommon.html

https://firefighterinsider.com/what-...our-apartment/

Last edited by elnina; 05-17-2023 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When I read your post l was thinking about this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unex...nce-while.html

Are you sure it's not an alarm clock with a weird but loud tune?
It's a fire alarm for sure. I don't share a wall with them. They live across my flat. But when the guy had door open that day, I could clearly hear fire alarm. Also it goes off at random times.. on weekends I have heard it at late morning/afternoon otherwise mostly during evening/night.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:30 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Smoking weed in the apartment and laughing when the smoke alarm goes off.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:36 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Burning toast or something on the stove, or popcorn in the microwave will trigger a smoke alarm too.

You might want to ask your apartment management, because of the local code and wiring of your apartment complex, but generally an individual smoke detector won't trigger the main fire alarm.

If you know where it's originated, you could just go there and politely inquire.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
This could be possible. I know they drink a lot over the weekend. Every Monday morning there are atleast a dozen beer bottles they throw in the apartment's trash can.

I am a single woman and try to stay away from them. Once I requested them to park their car properly it was very close to my car and I was having a hard time removing my car and one of the guys started starring me in anger. First time their fire alarm went off and I went in balcony, the guy who was talking over the phone could see me and started staring at my chest.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
This could be possible. I know they drink a lot over the weekend. Every Monday morning there are atleast a dozen beer bottles they throw in the apartment's trash can.

I am a single woman and try to stay away from them. Once I requested them to park their car properly it was very close to my car and I was having a hard time removing my car and one of the guys started starring me in anger. First time their fire alarm went off and I went in balcony, the guy who was talking over the phone could see me and started staring at my chest.

I understand being afraid of the neighbors.

Next time it goes off call the fire department. Tell them there is a smoke detector going off in the building and how long it's been beeping.

(It's called a smoke detector not a fire alarm, just so you know)

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-18-2023 at 05:57 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 05:17 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
That was my first thought.

Ours will go off from heat when making Thanksgiving dinner sometimes.

A note: a dozen beer bottles over the weekend isn't that many. Now, four dozen might be.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:17 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
That's going to be MY bet.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:13 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
In my county, the fire dept. makes "courtesy calls" in cases like this. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to ignore a fire alarm. Calls like this should be directed to the non-emergency number or the administrative offices. The state's freedom of information act will determine if the informant can remain anonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House