Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 05:53 PM

1,063 posts, read 910,905 times

Advertisements

last time our roof was replaced, the contractor got all his information from Google Earth.

measurements and everything. no drones. no "eye-ball" survey except walking around
on the ground around our house. never used his tape measure. essentially, he was
making sure the shingles and trucks could be dropped off/parked safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 09:43 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Default Roofing scams put Florida’s property insurance market ‘on the verge of collapse’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I was talking about my roof with my BIL in TX and he was like don't you get storms? I guess down there people never really have to pay for their roofs because they get enough storms the insurance companies buy all the roofs down there.

It would not surprise me if insurers are cracking down on this in hurricane country. But, I did not realize Phoenix gets windstorms that takes off their roofs?

Absolutely.

This is a major problem in Florida and the reason many homeowners are unable to get HO insurance.

"An avalanche of lawsuits fueled by roofing scams has plunged Florida into a property insurance crisis that has forced dozens of companies to shut their doors, drop customers, raise rates or flee the state.

The scam works like this: Contractors knock on doors offering to inspect homeowners’ roofs for storm damage. They say they can help get a roof replacement covered by insurance, and they persuade the homeowners to sign away their rights to file the claims themselves. The contractors then file fraudulent damage claims, and when the insurance companies balk, the contractors sue. The insurance companies usually settle the disputed claims for many times more than the original claim. Most of that money goes to the contractors’ lawyers in the form of a “contingency fee multiplier.” Some lawyers file hundreds of such lawsuits a year.

The homeowner may get a free roof, but everyone pays for it through increased rates."

https://news.yahoo.com/roofing-scams...083055666.html

Old 05-30-2023, 09:50 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Absolutely.

This is a major problem in Florida and the reason many homeowners are unable to get HO insurance.

"An avalanche of lawsuits fueled by roofing scams has plunged Florida into a property insurance crisis that has forced dozens of companies to shut their doors, drop customers, raise rates or flee the state.

The scam works like this: Contractors knock on doors offering to inspect homeowners’ roofs for storm damage. They say they can help get a roof replacement covered by insurance, and they persuade the homeowners to sign away their rights to file the claims themselves. The contractors then file fraudulent damage claims, and when the insurance companies balk, the contractors sue. The insurance companies usually settle the disputed claims for many times more than the original claim. Most of that money goes to the contractors’ lawyers in the form of a “contingency fee multiplier.” Some lawyers file hundreds of such lawsuits a year.

The homeowner may get a free roof, but everyone pays for it through increased rates."

https://news.yahoo.com/roofing-scams...083055666.html

That is super messed up. In my BIL case in TX they really did just have the hurricanes so often they never had a time they had to pay to replace a roof (but, they also moved around a fair amount)..

Old 05-31-2023, 07:21 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
When I was looking to buy a certain house, I was told it had a brand new $75k roof because they had gotten the insurance to pay for it. I guess they had some roof inspector claim hail damage. It's a common insurance scam.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:39 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,957,221 times
My parents received a notice from their homeowners insurance that their policy was being cancelled, due to no paint on the siding and siding in poor condition.

THEIR HOUSE WAS SIDED IN CEDAR SHINGLES!!!!! Had aged to a beautiful silvery tone, was gorgeous. Mom called their agent to come out and look at the house and he was embarassed! Policy reinstated, examiner retrained.....

Old 06-01-2023, 05:13 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
When I was looking to buy a certain house, I was told it had a brand new $75k roof because they had gotten the insurance to pay for it. I guess they had some roof inspector claim hail damage. It's a common insurance scam.

75K for a roof? A little more detail, please?

Old 06-02-2023, 03:32 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,514,131 times
My guess.....big house.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:12 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
75K for a roof? A little more detail, please?
"Hand-hammered copper?"

Don't laugh, there's a large house in La Jolla with such a roof. It's kinda greenish, but it one piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House