Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 04:17 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I feel like I've been running into a brick wall here...

Husband and I inherited a house. Neither of us has any kind of handy DIY type skills, at all.

There's a shower with a sliding door in the hall bath, where a normal family would want to bathe children and the unit is sized for a tub (30x60" or thereabouts.) It is a molded plastic insert and still has a working lower faucet, like one would need for a tub, so it would not be a big plumbing project.

I want to remove the sliding door completely (the metal frame is just held on with clear silicone caulk or whatever) and replace the plastic shower pan with a bathtub, turn it into a typical tub/shower combo.

Problem I've got...

Handyman and plumber types, say that this project is beyond what they can or will do.

Remodelers all seem to be salespeople who want to give me a whole pitch on the history of their company, their warranties, and then sell me another plastic (like, not even nice materials) glued to the wall situation for around $10K, and push in the hopes of getting even more out of me by making it an even bigger "Barbie Dream House" nonsense project, which I am not remotely interested in even a little. I'm OK with cheap materials if we're paying a cheap price. But $10K is not acceptable for this.

And like, I know that there are property management companies that have rental houses all over this area and I cannot imagine that they are paying $10K for a bathtub. There has got to be a solution that is closer to like, half that, or even a little less. I would think. And yet...here we are.

And I have to say it's one more thing for me, and I'm getting tired and grouchy. If I have something to sell, everyone wants to get it for free. If I need to buy something, everyone wants to snatch at way more than it's worth. I'm tired of people trying to rip me off from every angle on every little thing. I am so sick of schemers and scammers. The last "contractors" who came out to "give us an estimate on our project" were actually selling a bad product at an inflated price, and wasted over an hour of my time after I told them that the price tag would determine my answer and if it was in the $10K region it would be a NO. The gal tried to tell me she was a psychic and was speaking with my dead father in law, you guys. I'm not joking. They would not give us a cost until the end and then when I said, "like I told you before, that isn't going to work" they tried to wrangle me into financing. By that point I was like...yeah ya'll are adorable, bless your heart, please leave.

Ideas I have, and would love feedback on from anyone who has more experience with this sort of thing than I've got...

1. I was thinking of going to Home Depot and looking at bathtubs and surrounds and asking up at the front if they can connect me with contractors who do this kind of work, and whether they are "remodeling" people or will they charge a sane price if I am buying the product from H.D.? (On the website I can get a tub and surrounds for under $1,000...keep in mind I am totally fine with the quality being like..."rental property" level.)

2. Try to figure out how to DIY this? From the perspective of a busy person who has no idea what she is doing, but is moderately intelligent and generally able to learn things and follow directions? I mean...my Mom does projects like this. She would not hesitate. She's in another state and I can't (and wouldn't) involve her but she would be the first to tell me I can and should just do this myself. My husband however, says we should pay someone to do it, or don't do it at all. He's totally against the idea of DIY.

3. Give up? Really starting to wonder it if's worth the hassle. We plan to live in the house for maybe a year, then sell it and move. I could just cope with this and then let it be someone else's problem. Or heck maybe a buyer might even prefer a shower, especially if they don't have kids... It seemed like an obvious thing to do when I first laid eyes on it, but I had no idea that it would be THIS much of a hassle.

And I'm also worrying about whether it's all gonna go like this...we have other projects we need to get done, we've barely started, and I'm so tired of every little thing being so much harder than common sense would suggest that it should be.
We re-did our bathrooms years ago with Lowe's. Shop their products, their contractor did the installations and some other things. Was worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 05:53 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,132,993 times
I would leave it alone. I am familiar with working on older houses, and also watching others fix up older houses. Keep in mind that if it turns out the floor is rotted, it is going to cost you more whether you do it or someone else does, as the quote probably won't include additional issues over removal/installation.

If you want to get real handy, you can try to find something on youtube, and check out home improvement websites where you can ask questions.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:52 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would leave it alone. I am familiar with working on older houses, and also watching others fix up older houses. Keep in mind that if it turns out the floor is rotted, it is going to cost you more whether you do it or someone else does, as the quote probably won't include additional issues over removal/installation.

If you want to get real handy, you can try to find something on youtube, and check out home improvement websites where you can ask questions.
It's not an old house. Was built in the 90s. And the floor underneath the floor surfacing, is concrete slab, not wood. So I don't think we have rotting.

Also that bathroom was barely used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Funny...I am considering doing the exact opposite with my hall/guest bath tub shower! This house has two tub showers so if I remodel one to a walk in, one tub will still exist. Tubs are very useful things whether you personally take baths or not. Unless something melodramatic occurs, I hope to age in place in this house. Having one step in shower would be nice as my balance, mobility or whatever changes.

What's the point of all this? Just to suggest that if you're planning on selling the place in the near future, remind yourself that a buyer will do what they want with your house. Let them. They might turn around and rip out what you put in. I don't see much point in spending a good chunk of $ trying to outguess the matter.

You're only planning on being there temporarily. You wrote that the existing shower is functional and in good shape. Can't you make this work for the time you're there, saving yourself the grief, frustration and the $? When it comes time to sell, repair what's broken and spiff up the rest to show off the other advantages the unchangeable features the house offer. Let new owners decide whether that bath should have a shower or tub.

A good local realtor could offer an educated opinion on what buyers in the neighborhood and local area/price range are looking and willing to pay for. Is the area attractive to younger families with kids etc. What they might want at this moment may not be relevant if you aren't planning to sell for a year or so. Then it may be and it may also alter your decision.

One of the biggest appeals of the house, is that it is right around the corner from a very desirable school. I think it is an elementary school, or maybe a middle school...but it's one of the best in the area and people are enthusiastic about living near it.

So yeah, a lot of families with young children in this neighborhood, along with a certain number of retirees. It's a very nice, quiet, family friendly sort of place. It's actually in Chandler, not Phoenix.

To those saying that $10K makes sense:

I was at Home Depot yesterday for something else but figured while I was there, I'd look at their bath stuff. So an entire tub and surround, doors, the whole deal...more than what we even need, actually...can be had for under $700.

This is what I don't get.

I KNOW that the materials don't cost that much. Even nicer materials than what I want, we would not cross the $2,000 threshold.

I have a great job making great money, but I do not clear $8,000 or more in a couple days work. Not even $4,000 (if, say, there were two workers on the job.) And everything I've researched tells me that for pros, this should be doable in a day or two. It is NOT a big crazy remodel job.

"Maybe it's old!"
It's not.
"Maybe there's rot!"
Nope.
"Maybe the drain and faucet need to be moved or replaced or the plumbing redone!"
Nope. Only insofar as one would have to remove the faucet/handle/drain parts that stick out, and put them back after swapping out the shower/tub structures.

But the people I was speaking with were not even asking these questions, their whole deal seemed to just be, "Pay us at least ten grand or we don't want to work with you on anything." Well, OK, if that's just how it is, I'd rather live with it. Not sure why it's gotta be like that, but whatever I guess?

But I have a referral from someone here (thank you for that!) and was thinking of checking Nextdoor, was also thinking about asking at Home Depot...only reason I didn't yesterday is that the customer service guy had a line of people and I didn't have time.

And yeah, just leaving it as it is...that's definitely an option. One I'm close to taking. I have a little more time to explore alternatives, as we are still working on emptying the house of my in laws' belongings in prep for paint & flooring...but yeah, we might just move on and let it be.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:50 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
[quote=Sonic_Spork;65408071]It's not an old house. Was built in the 90s. And the floor underneath the floor surfacing, is concrete slab, not wood. So I don't think we have rotting.

Also that bathroom was barely used.

One of the biggest appeals of the house, is that it is right around the corner from a very desirable school. I think it is an elementary school, or maybe a middle school...but it's one of the best in the area and people are enthusiastic about living near it.

So yeah, a lot of families with young children in this neighborhood, along with a certain number of retirees. It's a very nice, quiet, family friendly sort of place. It's actually in Chandler, not Phoenix.

To those saying that $10K makes sense:

I was at Home Depot yesterday for something else but figured while I was there, I'd look at their bath stuff. So an entire tub and surround, doors, the whole deal...more than what we even need, actually...can be had for under $700.

This is what I don't get.

I KNOW that the materials don't cost that much. Even nicer materials than what I want, we would not cross the $2,000 threshold.

I have a great job making great money, but I do not clear $8,000 or more in a couple days work. Not even $4,000 (if, say, there were two workers on the job.) And everything I've researched tells me that for pros, this should be doable in a day or two. It is NOT a big crazy remodel job.

"Maybe it's old!"
It's not.
"Maybe there's rot!"
Nope.
"Maybe the drain and faucet need to be moved or replaced or the plumbing redone!"
Nope. Only insofar as one would have to remove the faucet/handle/drain parts that stick out, and put them back after swapping out the shower/tub structures.

But the people I was speaking with were not even asking these questions, their whole deal seemed to just be, "Pay us at least ten grand or we don't want to work with you on anything." Well, OK, if that's just how it is, I'd rather live with it. Not sure why it's gotta be like that, but whatever I guess?

But I have a referral from someone here (thank you for that!) and was thinking of checking Nextdoor, was also thinking about asking at Home Depot...only reason I didn't yesterday is that the customer service guy had a line of people and I didn't have time.

And yeah, just leaving it as it is...that's definitely an option. One I'm close to taking. I have a little more time to explore alternatives, as we are still working on emptying the house of my in laws' belongings in prep for paint & flooring...but yeah, we might just move on and let it be.[/QUOTE]

That would be smart because even if the price is right, you never know what unforeseen problems "could" arise and that reasonable to you deal turns ugly unreasonable really fast!!!

Old 06-12-2023, 01:02 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
I feel like I've been running into a brick wall here...

Husband and I inherited a house. Neither of us has any kind of handy DIY type skills, at all.

There's a shower with a sliding door in the hall bath, where a normal family would want to bathe children and the unit is sized for a tub (30x60" or thereabouts.) It is a molded plastic insert and still has a working lower faucet, like one would need for a tub, so it would not be a big plumbing project.

I want to remove the sliding door completely (the metal frame is just held on with clear silicone caulk or whatever) and replace the plastic shower pan with a bathtub, turn it into a typical tub/shower combo.

Problem I've got...

Handyman and plumber types, say that this project is beyond what they can or will do.

Remodelers all seem to be salespeople who want to give me a whole pitch on the history of their company, their warranties, and then sell me another plastic (like, not even nice materials) glued to the wall situation for around $10K, and push in the hopes of getting even more out of me by making it an even bigger "Barbie Dream House" nonsense project, which I am not remotely interested in even a little. I'm OK with cheap materials if we're paying a cheap price. But $10K is not acceptable for this.

And like, I know that there are property management companies that have rental houses all over this area and I cannot imagine that they are paying $10K for a bathtub. There has got to be a solution that is closer to like, half that, or even a little less. I would think. And yet...here we are.

And I have to say it's one more thing for me, and I'm getting tired and grouchy. If I have something to sell, everyone wants to get it for free. If I need to buy something, everyone wants to snatch at way more than it's worth. I'm tired of people trying to rip me off from every angle on every little thing. I am so sick of schemers and scammers. The last "contractors" who came out to "give us an estimate on our project" were actually selling a bad product at an inflated price, and wasted over an hour of my time after I told them that the price tag would determine my answer and if it was in the $10K region it would be a NO. The gal tried to tell me she was a psychic and was speaking with my dead father in law, you guys. I'm not joking. They would not give us a cost until the end and then when I said, "like I told you before, that isn't going to work" they tried to wrangle me into financing. By that point I was like...yeah ya'll are adorable, bless your heart, please leave.

Ideas I have, and would love feedback on from anyone who has more experience with this sort of thing than I've got...

1. I was thinking of going to Home Depot and looking at bathtubs and surrounds and asking up at the front if they can connect me with contractors who do this kind of work, and whether they are "remodeling" people or will they charge a sane price if I am buying the product from H.D.? (On the website I can get a tub and surrounds for under $1,000...keep in mind I am totally fine with the quality being like..."rental property" level.)

2. Try to figure out how to DIY this? From the perspective of a busy person who has no idea what she is doing, but is moderately intelligent and generally able to learn things and follow directions? I mean...my Mom does projects like this. She would not hesitate. She's in another state and I can't (and wouldn't) involve her but she would be the first to tell me I can and should just do this myself. My husband however, says we should pay someone to do it, or don't do it at all. He's totally against the idea of DIY.

3. Give up? Really starting to wonder it if's worth the hassle. We plan to live in the house for maybe a year, then sell it and move. I could just cope with this and then let it be someone else's problem. Or heck maybe a buyer might even prefer a shower, especially if they don't have kids... It seemed like an obvious thing to do when I first laid eyes on it, but I had no idea that it would be THIS much of a hassle.

And I'm also worrying about whether it's all gonna go like this...we have other projects we need to get done, we've barely started, and I'm so tired of every little thing being so much harder than common sense would suggest that it should be.
Just leave it alone. Let the next owner decide what type/quality tub or shower they want. We looked at a house last year where the agent went on and on about the brand new bathrooms. Yeah, they were new but that was new plastic tub/shower inserts, new sheet vinyl, new cheap as heck vanities, builder grade lights and the OLD toilet. Maybe someone paid a premium price for that type of “brand new”, just not me. We bought a pig, stripped it down and redid it with the quality of materials we prefer. I’d let your buyer do the same instead of upping the price for improvements they may not even see as such.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:30 PM

639 posts, read 379,989 times
This is not worth doing for only a year.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:10 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I wanted to say thanks to everyone here, the person who reached out with a recommendation for a contractor and the others who responded... The contractor may come in handy for a couple of other things we have a stronger need to get done. But the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that those saying "just leave it be" are right.

Mostly because it isn't in bad shape at all, I mean...it still even looks clean and shiny and new...it wasn't used very much. We can let buyers decide what, if anything, they want to do with it. And maybe they'll like it the way it is!

But I don't think it's going to prevent the house from selling when we're ready to sell it, and it certainly won't stop anyone from getting any kind of a mortgage. We have a couple of items that actually HAVE to be fixed, the inspector said "if someone were trying to get a VA loan, this would hold it up"... Those are more important to deal with.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:24 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
I wanted to say thanks to everyone here, the person who reached out with a recommendation for a contractor and the others who responded... The contractor may come in handy for a couple of other things we have a stronger need to get done. But the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that those saying "just leave it be" are right.

Mostly because it isn't in bad shape at all, I mean...it still even looks clean and shiny and new...it wasn't used very much. We can let buyers decide what, if anything, they want to do with it. And maybe they'll like it the way it is!

But I don't think it's going to prevent the house from selling when we're ready to sell it, and it certainly won't stop anyone from getting any kind of a mortgage. We have a couple of items that actually HAVE to be fixed, the inspector said "if someone were trying to get a VA loan, this would hold it up"... Those are more important to deal with.
IMHO, the fact that the house even has more than one full bath is probably going to matter to more buyers than whether or not that bath has a shower or tub! Put your $ into the must-dos.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-15-2023 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House