Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 04:27 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,277 times

Advertisements

Been thinking about a new fridge with a built in water/ice dispenser, but after reading a bunch of replies saying they all break, I started looking water coolers instead. Living in Phoenix, and doing a lot of outdoor work all year long, I drink a LOT of water in the summer.

Putting a couple gallon jugs in the fridge works, but since the water comes out of the faucet warm, it creates a ton of condensation in the fridge...I frequently get puddles in there.

I see a bunch of office style coolers on Amazon for under $200..do these things actually work well for cold water, or do I need to go to an expensive office model? Obviously I don't get ice from them, but I really don't use ice anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 04:39 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
You might scan the classifieds for a going-out-of-business or office relocation sale and be able to pick up a good quality used cooler. Cheapo non-commercial grade coolers might leak after a short time leaving you to deal with a continuing mess. I'd also want heavier duty chilling ability. Chances are no local place will have parts for cheapos nor could they repair one.

Also consider comparing the cost of buying your own cooler and water to subscription water delivery services. They must do a good business in Phoenix. A subscription service that supplies everything (the water, the cooler, as well as the maintenance/repair/replacement, no filling or lugging jugs home yourself) might provide what you actually want for less.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-09-2023 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2023, 03:52 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Been thinking about a new fridge with a built in water/ice dispenser, but after reading a bunch of replies saying they all break, I started looking water coolers instead. Living in Phoenix, and doing a lot of outdoor work all year long, I drink a LOT of water in the summer.

Putting a couple gallon jugs in the fridge works, but since the water comes out of the faucet warm, it creates a ton of condensation in the fridge...I frequently get puddles in there.

I see a bunch of office style coolers on Amazon for under $200..do these things actually work well for cold water, or do I need to go to an expensive office model? Obviously I don't get ice from them, but I really don't use ice anyways.
If you have room buy a small ice maker? Some are portable, some are countertop
Pack your bottle/glass with ice, pour some tap water -have chilled water any time.
You could even place the water in the fridge then.

They are inexpensive - less than the water delivery, less handling too

Old 06-10-2023, 05:20 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
My refrigerator is 13 years old. I’ve never had issues with the water dispenser. I have a countertop depth French door model with the cold water dispenser on the side wall inside the door. It’s simple unlike water/ice dispensers in the door. The ice maker has also been solid. I’ll replace it with the identical model when it dies.

If I were on a budget, I’d just use a Brita container in the fridge.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:24 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,264,426 times
Quote:
... I see a bunch of office style coolers on Amazon for under $200..do these things actually work well for cold water, or do I need to go to an expensive office model? Obviously I don't get ice from them, but I really don't use ice anyways.

I had something similar to this (cheap) in a metal shop building in south Texas. Plenty hot in there in the summer, water was cold as advertised.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:49 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My refrigerator is 13 years old. I’ve never had issues with the water dispenser. I have a countertop depth French door model with the cold water dispenser on the side wall inside the door. It’s simple unlike water/ice dispensers in the door. The ice maker has also been solid. I’ll replace it with the identical model when it dies.

If I were on a budget, I’d just use a Brita container in the fridge.
This 100%. The water and ice dispenser INSIDE the fridge don't break, don't spill water all over the floor, make very little noise when making ice. Try The French door with the freezer at the bottm - you'll NEVER go back to a freaking side by side.

Old 06-10-2023, 12:12 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:

Since your tap water is >90F in the Summer, I'd suggest getting a water crock (porcelain.) Then top it with 5 gallon bottles (or 3 gallon bottles if the weight is a concern for you.)

Be sure you get "BPA free" bottles for potable water, too.

The last thing I'd want to do, is place 16 pounds of 100 degree anything, inside a fridge. Just imagine how much harder the refrigeration unit would have to work, to recover temperature. To say nothing of shortening the service life of said reefer, and the possible spoilage of the foods near the heated gallon jugs....

Old 06-10-2023, 02:02 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This 100%. The water and ice dispenser INSIDE the fridge don't break, don't spill water all over the floor, make very little noise when making ice. Try The French door with the freezer at the bottm - you'll NEVER go back to a freaking side by side.
Parents have one, and I don't see how it's any different than a "regular" bottom freezer fridge other than two doors and an inflated price tag. Not a fan...always a PITA to dig things out of the freezer, and really no better organization than my current top freezer. I've had several side by sides, and they've always been my favorite. Well, except maybe the monitor top I had in Detroit, lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Since your tap water is >90F in the Summer, I'd suggest getting a water crock (porcelain.) Then top it with 5 gallon bottles (or 3 gallon bottles if the weight is a concern for you.)

Be sure you get "BPA free" bottles for potable water, too.

The last thing I'd want to do, is place 16 pounds of 100 degree anything, inside a fridge. Just imagine how much harder the refrigeration unit would have to work, to recover temperature. To say nothing of shortening the service life of said reefer, and the possible spoilage of the foods near the heated gallon jugs....
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not seeing how a crock makes for cold water. I could just as easily leave gallon jugs on the counter for room temp water, and for me room temp is 85-90 degrees anyways.

I run a 2nd fridge for the water and other beverages, so spoilage isn't a concern, and it cools back down plenty quick. It's just a pain to have to constantly get the condensation water out of it. It's also over 20 years old at this point, so I'd say I probably have gotten my money's worth out of it if it were to die tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:13 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not seeing how a crock makes for cold water. I could just as easily leave gallon jugs on the counter for room temp water, and for me room temp is 85-90 degrees anyways.

Guess you’ve never heard of “evaporation cooling”?

Old 06-11-2023, 10:53 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,120 times
Quote:

We've used a water cooler in our kitchen for over 25 years and have only had to replace it once. The replacement was about $150.00. It's great always having cold water available. I buy the 5 gallon containers at the wholesale club and generally get 12 or more at a time which lasts about 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House