Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:19 PM

15,950 posts, read 7,012,752 times

Advertisements

How do use this product if you do? I use it in a spray bottle, diluted with water, to spray wipe down cabinet front. Would use it to clean wood floors? How about in the car? I use it wipe everything down other than glass. I think it will smear glass.
Do you use it clean tile floors and granite counter top.
How do you dust your home?
Do you use different products for furniture like table tops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 12:55 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I use a cap full of Murphy Oil Soap when I do a white wash, along with the detergent and bleach. I had heard it helps keep white clothes whiter.
I don't know how true it is, but none the less, I still do it.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:29 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How do use this product if you do? I use it in a spray bottle, diluted with water, to spray wipe down cabinet front. Would use it to clean wood floors? How about in the car? I use it wipe everything down other than glass. I think it will smear glass.

We have a lady come in in once a month or so. She uses it on the wood floors. Floors look a LOT better when she gets finished than they do with BONA products.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:26 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
In my experience I’ve found white vinegar diluted with water to be as effective as anything other than the strongest of chemicals, which we typically avoid.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:38 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I don’t particularly like the smell, so I don’t use it.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:04 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

Bottom line- probably one of the worst products for “cleaning”- it leaves a residue.

In 1910 (when Murphy’s first hit the market) there were no “poly-finished” hardwood floors- so Murphy’s probably worked wonders on waxed floors.

As far as other surfaces, like furniture, the finish is either lacquer (synthetic), or poly- again, not a finish that needs or is benefited from Murphy’s.

Tile floors- just plain mild soap and water. Granite counter tops- if they’re sealed, there are great cleaning/polishing products on the market. If they aren’t sealed- seal them!

Dusting is a swiffer- no polish or other products required (see previous remark about furniture). Old/antique furniture that is finished with shellac, wax, or oil may require a penetrating oil occasionally due to low humidity conditions.

Know what the finish is- use the least evasive product to clean, dust, or otherwise maintain.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:51 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I only use Murphy Oil Soap on my wood cabinets. I'd be a little worried about using it on my hardwood floors because it might make them too slick.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:31 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I only use Murphy Oil Soap on my wood cabinets. I'd be a little worried about using it on my hardwood floors because it might make them too slick.
I use it on both. Despite a poster above not liking the smell, I have taken a shine to that smell. See what I did there?

Old 06-12-2023, 05:35 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Don't use it on your car. Use only car specific cleaner for that. No household soaps for any vehicle exterior.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:26 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Bottom line- probably one of the worst products for “cleaning”- it leaves a residue...

My problem with BONA and Swiffer wet is that they both leave a streaky mess if there's any kind of 'dirt' on the floor. Multiple passes, multiple clean pads... still streaky. I expect if you went back over the clean floor with a BONA dusting pad and a lot of pressure, it might take care of the streaks... but our Swiffer and BONA are now hanging in the closet for 'quick use' for the inevitable spill.

I'll pay attention next time to how much she's diluting the Murphy's... but she's doing it with a bucket and a rag, and I believe wiping dry afterward. No residue to feel, no residue causing footprints.

I'm a woodworker and furniture maker, so I kinda bristled when I saw her using it everywhere... but it makes Mrs Seguinite happy and it's not going to hurt any finish in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House