Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 09:53 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times

Advertisements

I bought a wood swivel chair from Massachusetts about 20 years ago. It's a high-quality chair.

Recently I notice that I'm unable to raise the seat height.

I laid it down on the floor and was able to extend the length of the cylinder. See the first photo. However, when I put it upright, the seat sank to the original height. See the second photo.

I noticed that while there was a distance between the black cap and the lower hardware when laid flat, the cap moved down to rest on the lower hardware once in the upright position.

Anyone can advise what to do to keep the seat height without sinking?
Attached Thumbnails
How to raise swivel chair seat-extended-cylinder.jpg   How to raise swivel chair seat-sink.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 09:09 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Turn the collar on the shaft- don’t turn the seat or base.

As it’s lying on it’s side, turning the collar CCW should raise the seat, CW should lower seat.

Old 06-20-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Turn the collar on the shaft- don’t turn the seat or base.

As it’s lying on it’s side, turning the collar CCW should raise the seat, CW should lower seat.
I'm able to adjust the seat height as it's lying on its side by moving the lower part (with the wood legs). Rotating the collar seems to have no bearing on seat height. As a matter of fact, the collar can move up and down the shaft without rotating. It can only be stopped by the metal washer. See the attached photos.

However, when it's upright, the lower part (with the wood legs) goes up to meet the metal washer and the collar, causing the seat to sink.

What stops the lower part (with the wood legs) to stay put? Could this be due to the damaged metal washer under the collar? It is not flat and is not easy to move along the shaft due to the uneven shape. Shall I replace the metal washer?
Attached Thumbnails
How to raise swivel chair seat-height_1.jpg   How to raise swivel chair seat-washer_1.jpg   How to raise swivel chair seat-washer_2.jpg   How to raise swivel chair seat-extra_height_gone.jpg  

Old 06-20-2023, 09:25 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
If the collar can move up and down the shaft without turning, then it is just "decorative". The washer is what is controlling the height, and may look like it's damaged , but is made to "thread" up and down the shaft to control the height.

Try turning the washer towards the base for more height.

FWIW, most chairs of this type the collar and washer are one unit used to control height..

Old 06-20-2023, 01:09 PM

Yep- what you're calling a "washer" is what controls the height adjustment. The collar and "washer" are usually one unit- making adjustment easy and not getting oily/greasy!

Old 06-20-2023, 04:19 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post

What stops the lower part (with the wood legs) to stay put? Could this be due to the damaged metal washer under the collar? It is not flat and is not easy to move along the shaft due to the uneven shape. Shall I replace the metal washer?
Yes.

The washer is designed to turn in the threads of the shaft. Like a nut on a bolt.

I can see daylight through the washer in one of the photos.

That's likely the problem.

If you can't find a washer that works you can probably rig something with a clamp that will hold the seat up.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yes.

The washer is designed to turn in the threads of the shaft. Like a nut on a bolt.

I can see daylight through the washer in one of the photos.

That's likely the problem.

If you can't find a washer that works you can probably rig something with a clamp that will hold the seat up.
I'm unable to find a replacement washer with a collar connected to it. Replacing the washer alone would not work, because when rotating the collar, the washer should be rotated as well (to control the seat height). I wish I had more knowledge of the inner workings of the washer and collar in order to fix the issue properly.

As a workaround, I use a PVC pipe to increase the chair height by 2". See the attached photo. I put the PVC pipe under the metal washer (that is inside the collar). Since the height is now standard 18", there is no need to adjust the height.
Attached Thumbnails
How to raise swivel chair seat-pvc_2.jpg  

Old 06-28-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
As a workaround...

That some good "RE" right there!

Old 06-28-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That some good "RE" right there!
What do you mean by "RE"?

Old 06-28-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by "RE"?

“Redneck Engineering”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House