Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 11:51 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Both KB, flooring and obstruction of view.

Whenever I had a client wanting to enclose the deck- or partial enclosure- I would always quote PT T&G. It not only keeps the bugs out, but there's no trip hazards either. Most would decline and would either go with PT plywood over the existing decking and/or some kind of rug/outdoor carpet. Neither are good "long term" solutions compared to the T&G because there can be moisture issues that lead to rot.

The sight obstruction can be easily remedied with tempered glass panels or Lexan panels. Either are allowed by code (as long as they meet the correct material requirements), but they maynot be approved by your local AHJ. You''ll have glass panels below the rail guard, and screen above.

As a side note-
From your pics it would appear that that deck is not very far off the ground(?)-
Any deck that has a height of 30" or less from the deck surface to the ground does not require a guard. The reason I mention this is because if you meet that requirement, the area below the rail could be just screen also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 08:15 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Whenever I had a client wanting to enclose the deck- or partial enclosure- I would always quote PT T&G. It not only keeps the bugs out, but there's no trip hazards either. Most would decline and would either go with PT plywood over the existing decking and/or some kind of rug/outdoor carpet. Neither are good "long term" solutions compared to the T&G because there can be moisture issues that lead to rot.

The sight obstruction can be easily remedied with tempered glass panels or Lexan panels. Either are allowed by code (as long as they meet the correct material requirements), but they maynot be approved by your local AHJ. You''ll have glass panels below the rail guard, and screen above.

As a side note-
From your pics it would appear that that deck is not very far off the ground(?)-
Any deck that has a height of 30" or less from the deck surface to the ground does not require a guard. The reason I mention this is because if you meet that requirement, the area below the rail could be just screen also.
Thank you KB! The floor of the deck is 5 feet from the ground. TG would require removing existing floor? I like the looks of the T&G. Some interesting information, thank you again.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:26 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
TG would require removing existing floor? I like the looks of the T&G. Some interesting information, thank you again.

Yes. Remove existing decking, put down the T&G where the screened-in area would be, and build off of that (this is why a lot of people decline to do this- yes it's more money, but I really think the extra expense is well worth it for what is achieved). Not only do you get a completely closed floor (bugs), but it's a more "finished" floor- which I think looks much better than the existing decking and/or carpet! Easy to keep clean- maintenance is just a stain/sealer every 3-5yrs.

Some people prefer painting the T&G- but that's a whole other process that requires a lot of labor. Which I feel is unnecessary for an outdoor covered area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House