Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 06:01 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

December 1, 2022 we had a major housefire. The fire itself got the attached garage and a significant portion of the roof. Water from the fire department caused significant damage to the master bedroom and bath, laundry room, and the floor beneath those areas. Mildew started growing immediately on walls and furniture before the damaged furniture could be removed. Of course, there was smoke damage, too.

Everything was removed from the house. What could be saved was taken to be cleaned and will be returned to us when we move back in. The rest filled many large dumpsters. The walls were taken back to the studs and all the HVAC and bathroom fixtures were removed (cheaper to replace than to try to clean). The house has been completely rewired and replumbed.

The exposed wood that did not need to be replaced was cleaned to remove mildew (it can be done) and then treated to take care of any lingering smoke odor. There is now no mildew and no smoke odor, just the smell of new wood.

Mold and mildew can be successfully treated, and what is described here does not sound like a major project. It is doubtful than walls a floors will need to be removed.

Ask the seller to do it or move on to another house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 05:37 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,203 times
I would walk away not worth it to me to be exposed to mold.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
Before I give up on the house(there is a $3k involved and misc fees),first I would bring a friend (s) to walk thru the house and ask if they smell mold?
second I will call a remediation co and see what they have to say,dont sign any contract.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:35 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Mold is present almost everywhere on earth. Almost no one is sensitive to it, but the home inspection industry has used it to sell services.

Read this article to learn the difference between mold and mildew. and make your own judgement as to what you have in the house.
Quote:
While mold and mildew are both fungi that need water, oxygen, and food in order to live and survive, they differ in a number of ways. Mold tends to have a higher profile and can even become fuzzy, while mildew is usually flat. Mold exhibits darker colors such as deep green and black; mildew may begin as white, then turn brown or gray.
Personally, I would probably ignore it. The air conditioner and adequate ventilation will eradicate a lot of it, in my experience.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:51 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Before I give up on the house(there is a $3k involved and misc fees),first I would bring a friend (s) to walk thru the house and ask if they smell mold?
second I will call a remediation co and see what they have to say,dont sign any contract.

What do you think the "due diligence period" is for!???

By the information that was disclosed by the OP- we're well past "mold".

Old 06-29-2023, 01:52 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Mold is present almost everywhere on earth. Almost no one is sensitive to it, but the home inspection industry has used it to sell services.

Read this article to learn the difference between mold and mildew. and make your own judgement as to what you have in the house.

Personally, I would probably ignore it. The air conditioner and adequate ventilation will eradicate a lot of it, in my experience.

By the information that was disclosed by the OP- we're well past "mold".

Old 06-29-2023, 01:56 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Noses aren't universally sensitive to every odor all the time. For example: if someone's prone to seasonal allergies, their sniffer's ability to detect an odor might be quite low much of the year. Some people have a really terrible sense of smell in general. Besides, not all mold is hazardous even if you can smell it. If I was very concerned about mold in a house, I'd have some less subjective testing done instead!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-29-2023 at 02:59 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 02:14 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:

Friends smelling. or not smelling, doesn't hack it. Get a professional inspection

As for you 3K, that's a pittance of what this mess is going to cost you if you move forward

Old 06-29-2023, 03:00 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
As for you 3K, that's a pittance of what this mess is going to cost you if you move forward
TA. Compared to the cost of buying/repairing real estate that $3K plus fee is a pittance.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-29-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House