Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 12:49 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
It is now making the noise much less often. I took no action.

This fridge is a Fridigaire FRT16NRG. It looks like you can't open a panel on the front to clean it.

The sound comes out of the damper in the freezer which is a rectangular thing with the adjustment dial on it.

The noise starts and stops very abruptly. Would that mean it's because something is dirty?
Possibly, food waste sometimes gets in there. More likely there was a buildup of frost (did you leave the freezer door open for a long time recently?) that the normal defrost cycle eventually cleared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 10:42 AM

3,526 posts, read 6,521,504 times
I live in an apt and I told the mgr about this problem. She wasn't familiar with this problem and also said we're responsible for it. I'm not going to call some stranger who I'm sure would charge us too much. Also the noise might not happen while they're looking at it.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:13 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
I live in an apt and I told the mgr about this problem. She wasn't familiar with this problem and also said we're responsible for it. I'm not going to call some stranger who I'm sure would charge us too much. Also the noise might not happen while they're looking at it.

I don't know of any place that if they' supplying the fridge for the apartment, that you would be responsible for it's maintenance!

Whatever state you live in- check the "tenant laws" for that state.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:43 PM

I just noticed that the noise happens when the fridge is silent and then the noise happens, and then the fridge starts humming like usual. I mean the noise happens in between being quiet and humming.

I also read that fridges are considered not a necessity. But toilets and sinks are - that's why some apts might not repair your fridge but they would maintain your toilet.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I also read that fridges are considered not a necessity. But toilets and sinks are - that's why some apts might not repair your fridge but they would maintain your toilet.
Is this a reading comprehension thing?
What part of “supplying you with a fridge” did you not understand? I don’t expect anyone to take care of my fridge- I bought it! It’s mine! But, in an apt that comes with a fridge- is not your fridge! You are paying rent that includes the fridge- that’s a “working” fridge. If it makes noise that is annoying, and/or not operating efficiently or quietly as it should- it’s on the owner/landlord to make it good!

Old 07-04-2023, 10:56 AM

What if the apt manager keeps saying I'm responsible for fixing the fridge?

Our lease says "Major maintenance of the premises" (except for waste or misuse) will be done by the lessor. I don't know if "premises" includes the fridge or not. The lease doesn't specifically mention the fridge.

The lease mentions "plumbing, range, heating, apparatus, and electric and gas fixtures". What does "apparatus" mean??

Old 07-04-2023, 12:08 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
That phrase sounds more like boilerplate from a commercial lease than a residential one. Like KB, I had to replace a refrigerator in a house I rented. OTOH, items such as rooftop AC unit repairs may be responsibility of a tenant with some leases.

If it is in the lease, you could verify the legality and challenge, but it likely wouldn't be worth the effort or cost involved. Use the unit 'til it dies, go to a used appliance store and replace it for a couple hundred bucks. Keep the receipt in case of a security deposit dispute at the end of the lease.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
What if the apt manager keeps saying I'm responsible for fixing the fridge?

Our lease says "Major maintenance of the premises" (except for waste or misuse) will be done by the lessor. I don't know if "premises" includes the fridge or not. The lease doesn't specifically mention the fridge.

The lease mentions "plumbing, range, heating, apparatus, and electric and gas fixtures". What does "apparatus" mean??

In that wording- fridge would be an “electric fixture” in my book. But, legal definitions can differ. Again, you need to look at the tenant laws for your state.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:21 AM

I found out that my relatives had to buy a new fridge when they first moved in.
I wasn't aware there are apt. situations where there wasn't already a fridge. I don't know why ours is like this.
I've only rented two apts. in my life and they both had a fridge already. Well now I know, there are exceptions.

Old 07-08-2023, 04:06 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Use the unit 'til it dies, go to a used appliance store and replace it for a couple hundred bucks. Keep the receipt in case of a security deposit dispute at the end of the lease.
Agree. The fridge does what it's supposed to do; keeping things properly frozen and/or chilled, right? The noise just annoys you for a few moments at a time, correct? Doesn't appear to be a major issue. If you truly can't stand this momentary noise, buy a fridge of your own and ask the landlord to move the existing one out of your unit. Then plan to take your fridge with you when you vacate.

As for a fridge being something provided by and maintained by the landlord, it varies. I've rented places that had fridges and other places that did not. I had to provide my own. I maintained those and took them with me when I moved out. When you moved into this place OP and as part of the lease agreement, did you get an inventory/checklist of furnishings supplied by the landlord and included with the unit? Hopefully you keep important documents like that on file. A fridge is moveable, not a built in. Such a list would probably include a fridge.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-08-2023 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House