Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 11:32 AM

6,101 posts, read 2,722,498 times

Advertisements

The other day I was doing some cleaning and discovered bed bugs on sheets/and a comforter I discarded both in a trash bag and laundered everything else.

I will be calling pest control to inspect if there are any more left. I was reading that the only way to eradicate them is heat.

Has anyone here had the dreaded BB and had any heat treatments done to eradicate them? I'm freaking out as I'm a clean person never purchase any second-hand furniture.

But I do live in an apartment building where it's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 01:28 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Hey Goofball,
Try not to sweat it so much. I had bed bugs back in 2014. I threw away my bed, mattress, and bedding. I laundered all of my clothes and moved out for a week while they treated my unit. I didn't get the heat treatment, it was a professional spray that they applied. If I remember correctly it was like 3 treatments over 2 weeks.

I know that you are probably losing sleep. I remember feeling them even when they weren't there for months after. I would say that was probably the least sleep I had up until I had a newborn, lol.

The good news is that their spray treatment worked like a charm. I was very careful and aware to watch out for anymore. I checked my bed daily for any signs of additional bugs once I moved back in.

One last thing to note: I packed away my couch cushions and covers into bags and they gave me little strips to put into the bags as an additional treatment. Eventually after a couple of weeks I opened the bags to put my couch back together and one crawled out. It hadn't had any food and had been sitting in a treated back for 2 WEEKS. It's amazing how resilient they are. Needless to say I killed him and haven't seen them since.

I Hope you're as lucky as I was in my treatment. Worst case, they come back and you retreat.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:22 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Why not use an insect bomb or defogger? The name sounds scary but it’s simply an aerosol you set off in your rooms that has an active ingredient that is toxic to things like fleas and so forth. The toxin is derived from plants that evolved to fight off bugs that destroyed them. You must stay out for several hours but it’s doable.

However I’m not sure if it kills the eggs. You might need a repeat a few days later but that should take care of it. Look up bed bug fogger and see what you find including instructions for use. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Hey Goofball,
Try not to sweat it so much. I had bed bugs back in 2014. I threw away my bed, mattress, and bedding. I laundered all of my clothes and moved out for a week while they treated my unit. I didn't get the heat treatment, it was a professional spray that they applied. If I remember correctly it was like 3 treatments over 2 weeks.

I know that you are probably losing sleep. I remember feeling them even when they weren't there for months after. I would say that was probably the least sleep I had up until I had a newborn, lol.

The good news is that their spray treatment worked like a charm. I was very careful and aware to watch out for anymore. I checked my bed daily for any signs of additional bugs once I moved back in.

One last thing to note: I packed away my couch cushions and covers into bags and they gave me little strips to put into the bags as an additional treatment. Eventually after a couple of weeks I opened the bags to put my couch back together and one crawled out. It hadn't had any food and had been sitting in a treated back for 2 WEEKS. It's amazing how resilient they are. Needless to say I killed him and haven't seen them since.

I Hope you're as lucky as I was in my treatment. Worst case, they come back and you retreat.
Thanks, I freaked out for sure seeing those blood-sucking aholes. I'm killing them with duct tape and checking daily till pest control comes out.

I clean regularly, never by second-hand anything, I belive I got it from a neighbor since the apartment building does get them every so often ugh.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:30 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I'd imagine it's pretty difficult for any multiple residence building to avoid or get rid of bedbugs. Multiple people bringing stuff in and out all the time...then there's all their visitors and their stuff! How can they control that? Even if you do treat and eradicate bugs from your individual space, how can you truly isolate it from the surrounding building?

Don't forget to enclose your mattress. There are bedbug-proof covers. You can offer fewer places for bedbugs to hide.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:42 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
It is usually better to treat infected items with pesticide, and then encase them for at least a week, as opposed to throwing them away.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:39 PM

1,879 posts, read 886,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Has anyone here had the dreaded BB and had any heat treatments done to eradicate them? I'm freaking out as I'm a clean person never purchase any second-hand furniture.
I got bedbugs from a headboard I bought at a hotel liquidation sale. Bedbugs are not about cleanliness, it's about human blood. They don't go after any other animal.

Anyway I did the heat treatment and it did great, and it only took a few hours. Regular sprays you find in a store will not eradicate them, you need a professional, because they can multiply. Do it right and get rid of them for good.

One thing they told me though is not to move around or change up where you sleep. If they are in your bed, they will follow you to the couch, and then they'll have spread. That's what made it really hard for me, waiting the two weeks for my appointment.

I lost a lot of sleep and started having anxiety attacks. I wound up on Xanax for that last week, and the poor guy, it was the hottest week of the year when he did the treatment, and he couldn't get away from it between having the exhaust hoses going out the back door and having to keep the door to the room closed. I wound up buying him a case of beer since I was the last appointment of the day.

Old 07-07-2023, 11:00 AM

I'm having pest control come out to inspect. They will not be doing the heat treatment but require all clothes and everything to be washed and dried before they come closets emptied, and drawers emptied. All food and everything off the counter.

I really hope the chemicals aren't super harsh as I'm sensitive to stuff like that.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:39 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Well, that's one advantage of heat treatment...less or no nasty chemicals!

Old 07-13-2023, 11:56 AM

335 posts, read 153,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Why not use an insect bomb or defogger? The name sounds scary but it’s simply an aerosol you set off in your rooms that has an active ingredient that is toxic to things like fleas and so forth. The toxin is derived from plants that evolved to fight off bugs that destroyed them. You must stay out for several hours but it’s doable.
These kinds of bug bombs are commonly used in nurseries to kill insect pests that affect the plants. While they are plant-based, the active ingredient is a high concentration of nicotine and is extremely toxic to humans. You may get away with one in a single family home (if one were so inclined), but the OP lives in an apartment which is a no-go.

I would go with the previous poster's suggestion of insecticide spray. You can also put diatomaceous earth in a container that you place the legs of your bed upon to prevent them from crawling up on it. Diatomaceous earth is non-toxic to humans, but extremely lethal to insects (it gets in the joints of their carapace and acts like razor sharp shards that kill the bugs as they move). You can commonly buy it at nurseries and hardware stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House