Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 05:37 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience installing vinyl plank on a basement concrete floor? Moisture isn't an issue.

Seems like you need to have a near perfect surface to make this stuff work. This basement has slabs that slope up to expansion joints, creating a slight hump at the joints. There is no reasonable way to get rib of that feature since that would involve grouting the entire basement to flatness which would be far more expensive than the plank itself.

The question becomes - how will the vinyl planks behave if it is installed over this "hump"? Any experience with this?

Alternative is carpet. Maybe ceramic tile in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 08:11 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Just stick with carpet. Or the carpet/tile as you suggested.

Grinding and/or self-leveling concrete can add substantially to the bottom line- and there’s still no guarantee that imperfections will show-thru (telegraph) the vinyl plank.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
While the surface I wanted to cover with "floating" vinyl plank flooring wasn't concrete, there were a couple of minor threshold joins and unevenly set nails. Eventually they did telegraph through the vinyl. The vinyl installation instructions warned about irregularities, and they were right. The vinyl flexed (you could hear the adhesive "sticking" and "unsticking" itself over and over when walked across) and little peaks appeared over the nail heads. The walking surface of the vinyl didn't actually crack while I lived there but it wouldn't surprise me if it does eventually.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-10-2023 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-10-2023, 04:30 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Don't rule out sheet vinyl! There's lots of good quality floors out there, and sheet vinyl will be the most forgiving if you choose a pattern that will tend to make the unevenness less obvious.

Good quality sheet vinyl is a bit rubbery leading to a more comfortable surface over concrete. We have it in our rental and it feels nice underfoot.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:20 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
While the surface I wanted to cover with "floating" vinyl plank flooring wasn't concrete, there were a couple of minor threshold joins and unevenly set nails. Eventually they did telegraph through the vinyl. The vinyl installation instructions warned about irregularities, and they were right. The vinyl flexed (you could hear the adhesive "sticking" and "unsticking" itself over and over when walked across) and little peaks appeared over the nail heads. The walking surface of the vinyl didn't actually crack while I lived there but it wouldn't surprise me if it does eventually.
I agree. I wanted to install LVP in my upstairs MBR just for ease of cleaning, but as soon as the installer looked at the existing floor he nixed the idea. The room had been enlarged from the original attic (bumped out) and there was a slight hump all the way across the floor. He said the planks would not lay flat and would eventually come apart or break. I had to recarpet the area, although I used a much better and brighter carpet. i just don't allow the cats to go up there at all. (Actually, I don't go up there much either, lol. I hate carpet.)

Old 07-11-2023, 09:07 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Parents had their home remodeled back in the 90's. It was a cinderblock summer cottage with concrete floors that, over the years, had been expanded and winterized. They had the contracter remove a cinderblock wall so that the kitchen could be expanded into a newer addition to the house. The base of the former wall left a hump in the concrete floor, which was then covered in a felt indoor/outdoor carpeting. Even though the carpeting was cheap, it completely concealed the hump.

Decades later, my sisters convinced my father to let them remove the rotting kitchen carpet and install "luxury" vinyl plank flooring. Now there's a highly visible speed bump in the middle of the room.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:12 PM

91 posts, read 76,212 times
Wouldn't you try and level the floor

Install a subfloor over the concrete

Old 07-11-2023, 09:25 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I'd either level the floor (as already suggested) or install sheet vinyl.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:08 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
As others have mentioned, you could get a price to “flash patch” the humps in the concrete to tolerances within the standards for VP flooring.
You could compare that price to a commercial grade carpet tile which works well on concrete slabs and do not need to be adhered to the slab.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:45 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Could you grind down the irregularities? Otherwise I would also consider a sub floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House