Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2023, 10:21 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times

Advertisements

Last night it stormed heavily, typical evening TS due to high heat and humidity. My daughter-in-law came running upstairs for a bucket or trashcan because a few drops of water dripped from an AC vent from the ceiling. At most it was 10 drops (stopped by the time I got there and sofa only had a drop or two of water).

No plumbing even close, directly above, another AC vent (completely dry) and up one more level, another vent, also dry. No water to be seen anywhere - ceiling or nearby window. No pets, water bowls, drinks, nothing near.

We did have a new HVAC installed last fall and the temperature has been wonderful, as have been the electric bills.

Any ideas? I don't even know who to call for a drip that no longer exists.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 10:41 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,853 times
We had the same problem and called our hvac guys out. They said when it’s extremely hot and humid condensation can build up in the ducts. If you’re in the mid Atlantic as you info says you are, you know what our weather has been like the past few days. Our problem didn’t escalate. You may want to run a dehumidifier in that room if it’s bothering you.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:06 AM

5,972 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Last night it stormed heavily, typical evening TS due to high heat and humidity. My daughter-in-law came running upstairs for a bucket or trashcan because a few drops of water dripped from an AC vent from the ceiling. At most it was 10 drops (stopped by the time I got there and sofa only had a drop or two of water).

No plumbing even close, directly above, another AC vent (completely dry) and up one more level, another vent, also dry. No water to be seen anywhere - ceiling or nearby window. No pets, water bowls, drinks, nothing near.

We did have a new HVAC installed last fall and the temperature has been wonderful, as have been the electric bills.

Any ideas? I don't even know who to call for a drip that no longer exists.
Condensation occurs when you have warm, moist air in contact with a cold surface. It does not occur when you have cold air in contact with hot surface.

For example, when you have a ceramic mug full of coffee that is so hot that it's uncomfortable to hold onto the outside of the mug, you get NO condensation.

OTOH, when you have a mug or glass filled with an icy drink, you'll get condensation on the outside (warm) side of the mug/glass due to the relatively warm air in contact with a cold surface.

So, you need to examine the situation and find out where you have a cold surface that is in contact with warm air. That's where the condensation will occur.

This is assuming that the water drops were due to condensation. If, OTOH, the water drops were the result of a leak from the outside rainstorm, then that's a different issue. In the latter case, you need to check your outside seals around any ducts or vent pipes. Perhaps a dryer vent or a hose leading to the outside compressor on the new A/C unit is not caulked sufficiently. You could check the latter by going outside on a dry day and dousing any wall penetrations with a water hose. Then observe if you get any leakage in the same area.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:58 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Warm humid air meets cold AC air and you have condensation.

Old 07-29-2023, 03:26 PM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
A/C's leak at vents gents when pushed too hard with nasty dew points.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:22 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
Many thanks all, for putting my mind is at rest on this one - I had hoped this was a non-event and not one of the many presents of homeownership.

Seems like something new keeps popping up, no matter how much maintenance I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House