Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 04:27 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times

Advertisements

I bought some replacement ball-bearing drawer slides for some cabinets. The seller told me to go to the next length DOWN if mine weren't exactly the length of longer ones, e.g. if my current slides are 19.5", go with 18", not 20". So I did.

The new slides appear to be high quality, and actually they look basically exactly like the ones I'm replacing and will fit in the same place (and I tried one just sliding it onto the drawer and it seemed like it would work fine), but the 18" ones are actually 17.5", which I assume means the 20" ones would have been 19.5" -- and would have matched the length of the ones I'm replacing.

It seems like the 18" ones will still work, but the drawer won't be "on" them until a couple of inches in.

Does this matter? Should I return the 18" ones (really 17.5") and order the 20" ones (really 19.5")?

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I've never switched out drawer slides before, so I am kind of clueless.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 04:57 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
return, replace

Old 08-04-2023, 05:12 PM

Thanks for replying, but can you expand on that, please? Will the 18" ones not work? If not, why not? (I am totally non-mechanically-inclined so I need good explanations ...)

Old 08-04-2023, 05:39 PM

23,274 posts, read 18,799,167 times
If the slides are too short, the drawer may slip off the track every time you open/shut it. Technically the slides would still be functional but the hassle factor of wrestling a drawer back onto its tracks all the time wouldn't be worth the aggravation. Or, not being able to open the drawer to its full extend to avoid the problem.

If the longer slides end up being the same length as the ones you replaced, I'd buy them.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If the slides are too short, the drawer may slip off the track every time you open/shut it. Technically the slides would still be functional but the hassle factor of wrestling a drawer back onto its tracks all the time wouldn't be worth the aggravation. Or, not being able to open the drawer to its full extend to avoid the problem.
Ah, I see what you mean, but in this case, I don't think the drawer would slip off the track because it's only a matter of 2" out of a 20" drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If the longer slides end up being the same length as the ones you replaced, I'd buy them.
I emailed the seller and asked him. We'll see how quickly he responds. I will probably just exchange them for the longer ones.

Thanks for replying!

Old 08-04-2023, 07:36 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Regular slides? Or, full extension slides?

I’ll assume going in std base cabinet that is 24”d? What is the depth of the drawer?
Can you post the link to the slides in question?

Old 08-04-2023, 07:38 PM

23,274 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ah, I see what you mean, but in this case, I don't think the drawer would slip off the track because it's only a matter of 2" out of a 20" drawer.

I emailed the seller and asked him. We'll see how quickly he responds. I will probably just exchange them for the longer ones.

Thanks for replying!
Maybe it would depend on how close to the front and back of the drawer the rollers are located. If they're more toward the middle of the drawer it might not happen as much.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Regular slides? Or, full extension slides?

I’ll assume going in std base cabinet that is 24”d? What is the depth of the drawer?
Can you post the link to the slides in question?
They are full extension slides, but if I lose an inch or two, it would not be a big deal. The drawers are in 22"-deep cabinets (these are the wardrobe cabinets that I bought cheap cheap cheap from my college) but the drawers don't go all the way back (just most of the way).

Here's the link from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKGK1LKJ/ . The 18" ones I got are identical in size to the ones I am replacing (not replacing all -- just the damaged few) EXCEPT 2" shorter. I probably should have gone with the 20" but from what the seller originally told me, they might have been just a tiny bit too long (I thought!).

=====

Parnassia: they're ball-bearing slides. I am about to go to bed and don't want to go back down to the basement to take another look, but I can tomorrow if it would help make more sense out of my question!

Old 08-05-2023, 05:42 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
…but the drawers don't go all the way back (just most of the way).

What is the “measured” depth?
In the link’s description, it gives detailed instructions on how to determine size. Which is precisely why I asked what the dimensions are. Your description does not help.

Cabinet depth is measured from the back of the cabinet to the inside of the face frame. The drawer “box” is measured from the back of the box to the back of the faceplate- which would be the depth of just the drawer box.

Your particular link is just for the slides- does the mounting hardware at the back of the cabinet accept the new slides? If not, you’ll need that also.

I’ve literally done a few hundred of these for not only myself, but for clients also- I’m very familiar with the where, why, and how.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:27 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
I emailed the seller and asked him.
Are these some special kind of drawer slides vs what you can pick up at HD/Lowes? Why not just take one of the old ones down to the store and get the closest size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House