Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 04:13 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,406,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
15 year shingles was a mistake. You'll get 10 to 12 years out of them.

For another couple of thousand you could have gone with 35 year architectural shingles, much thicker and longer lasting.
I hear you. The quote for 30 year shingles was about $15K, instead of the $10K I paid for the 15 year shingles (ignoring the garage gutter installation). But I committed the cardinal sin of not having the towering silver maple removed from my backyard. It hangs over my garage roof and half of my house roof. It definitely degraded the shingles that it shadowed.

I talked 30 year architectural shingles with the guy who inspected the roof before he quoted the job. He owned the company and had been doing it for probably 30+ years. He told me that the only way the more expensive shingles would last that long is if the tree was removed. So I went with the 15 year shingles instead.

I had contracted a new roof back in 2008, complete tear off and replace, using 15 year shingles, installed by a friend of a relative. Those shingles were still looking good as new on the front the house, where there was no tree shade and the roof got plenty of afternoon sun.

Why keep the tree? Stupid reasons, I guess.

It's the last tree on the property, the others having been existing on easements, between the street and the sidewalk. The city has been aggressively removing trees in such areas, prior to replacing the sidewalks, as the tree roots were tearing up the sidewalk. Because this tree is on my property, I'd have to cover the entire cost of its removal, which wouldn't be cheap. This remaining tree provides a good deal of backyard shade during the late spring, summer, and early fall months; highly desired, as the front yard simply bakes in the afternoon. And I do have a tree service come out to inspect and trim back the tree every now and then.

Also, in ten or fifteen years, I might not even be living in the house, having moved on...one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 04:33 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Oh, boy - you're making me think we are paying too much. We've contracted for a new shingle roof on our home and on the new deck we are having built to the tune of $22K. Not sure exact measurements of the house.

They'll remove existing shingles, inspect underlying plywood (replace if needed) and place one row of ice and water shield to bottom of roof and valleys, install underlayment, install new drip edge, install new roof boots for bathroom vents, install the shingles (Owens Corning w/30 yr life), replace ridge vent, replace metal facia.
Are we getting ripped? I hope not. We are in VT. We wanted to go with a metal roof, but as others have said, that's way more $$ than shingle.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:45 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...546cf2934.html

Story is from 2 years ago and is why it’s gotten so much more expensive along the gulf coast than in the past.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:18 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Oh, boy - you're making me think we are paying too much. We've contracted for a new shingle roof on our home and on the new deck we are having built to the tune of $22K. Not sure exact measurements of the house.

They'll remove existing shingles, inspect underlying plywood (replace if needed) and place one row of ice and water shield to bottom of roof and valleys, install underlayment, install new drip edge, install new roof boots for bathroom vents, install the shingles (Owens Corning w/30 yr life), replace ridge vent, replace metal facia.
Are we getting ripped? I hope not. We are in VT. We wanted to go with a metal roof, but as others have said, that's way more $$ than shingle.
That sounds about right to me. We had our roof replaced after Hurricane Ian tore off most of the shingles, down to bare plywood in many areas. We also have a house with a complex roof, a hip roof with a number of ridges and valleys, and the work you are describing sounds like what they did with our roof as well. They installed peel and stick underlayment, five nails per shingle ( roofing nails are threaded to resist pulling out in a windstorm ( both required by building code). They didn't need to replace any plywood, but would have provided up to 5 sheets free if needed. Used 30 year GAF shingles, ridge vents and drip edges ( IIRC about the drip edges). They charged us $19, 950 for the roof. We used a local long time here roofing contractor with a good reputation, and turned away a number of out of towners who wanted to "work directly with our insurance company- and would have charged a lot more than we paid.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:42 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That sounds about right to me. We had our roof replaced after Hurricane Ian tore off most of the shingles, down to bare plywood in many areas. We also have a house with a complex roof, a hip roof with a number of ridges and valleys, and the work you are describing sounds like what they did with our roof as well. They installed peel and stick underlayment, five nails per shingle ( roofing nails are threaded to resist pulling out in a windstorm ( both required by building code). They didn't need to replace any plywood, but would have provided up to 5 sheets free if needed. Used 30 year GAF shingles, ridge vents and drip edges ( IIRC about the drip edges). They charged us $19, 950 for the roof. We used a local long time here roofing contractor with a good reputation, and turned away a number of out of towners who wanted to "work directly with our insurance company- and would have charged a lot more than we paid.
Thank you for this Travelassie. I'm reassured to a certain extent. My husband was all gung-ho but I was not sure how much research he'd done. He knew I would hem and haw about the expense, but, well, it IS a roof. That said, we both have very good feelings about the local young man who is doing the work and we have a signed contract. He is also insured. He brought us samples of the roofing and answered all my questions about how the work proceeds.
We didn't have damage to our roof, thankfully (that must have been such an ordeal for you!!!) but it's 25 yrs old and I believe has exceeded its longevity.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Even the cheap companies wanted over $50,000 for a metal roof.
Not all metal roofs are the same. There are screw down metal roofs and standing seam metal roofs. Standing seams are double the price of a screw down. There is a big difference.

For a home that I am doing my roof prices range from $24K to $50K. $50k being for the standing seam roof. $24 for shingle or a screw down metal.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:50 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,856 times
I had to get my roof replaced. Got estimates. Got a loan. And even though there was no storm of any kind to cause damage, on a whim I called my insurance company. I just wanted to hear what the agent had to say. I figured they wouldn’t cover any of it. And even if they would cover a fraction, that would be good news. I really thought that it was a long-stretch, but they covered the entire cost!!

As my luck would have it, another unexpected expense popped up, so I used some of the loan money for that. But contact your insurance company. The worst they can do is say, “No,” and you’d still be in the spot you are now.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:34 PM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Minimum $15K? Wow. $35K? Double wow.

Just had my roof(s) replaced. No leaks, but it was due. House is a 36'x24' 1½-story semi-Cape Code with a 45° gable roof with an offset decorative dormer in the front that's maybe 16' wide. Garage is a 24'x22' with 20° gable roof. Both were complete tear offs, new vents, no wood replacement needed, 15 year shingles. Had gutters installed on the garage, house already had them. Scheduled 3 weeks out, done in a single day.

$10,500 total cost. Was saving up for home repairs, so didn't need to take out a loan. But my bank balance is feeling pretty anemic right now.
I have a flat roof because I live in the southwest in an old house. I got estimates in 2017 and they were both about 13,000. I chose the silicon roof material because the company gave a better warranty and the cost was 100.00 more than the regular tar and gravel on paper. For the first 5 years the roofer came to clean the roof and check for nicks or damage, they found some the first year and fixed it. It cost 200.00 each time, very cheap I think. This year I need to call and find out how much their regular rate is because I had a contractor on the roof supposedly fixing the chimney (another headache) and I found scrapes on the surface that need to be fixed.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:22 AM

Update. They’re finally here replacing the roof. Shingles were on back order. Their owner was on site to supervise work. Home built in 73. Many sheets of plywood have to be replaced. Previous roof replacements did not remove old roofing paper liner. There were four layers of roofing liner paper and all had their own nails. Attic looked like a starlight display from all the nail holes. Plywood looked like waves in some places. There arrived at 6:30am central time zone. They’re nearly done installing new plywood. This is south Louisiana so it’s not good to go cheap on roofing if you can afford a higher standard.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Update. They’re finally here replacing the roof. Shingles were on back order. Their owner was on site to supervise work. Home built in 73. Many sheets of plywood have to be replaced. Previous roof replacements did not remove old roofing paper liner. There were four layers of roofing liner paper and all had their own nails. Attic looked like a starlight display from all the nail holes. Plywood looked like waves in some places. There arrived at 6:30am central time zone. They’re nearly done installing new plywood. This is south Louisiana so it’s not good to go cheap on roofing if you can afford a higher standard.
Update,…66 sheets of plywood replaced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House