Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 03:21 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

The bottom wheel came off the track. This video looks like the problem and the solution
https://youtu.be/lPdBullkxt8
To those who are knowledgeable in such areas, thoughts on what this video is saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 04:39 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
I'm not 'knowledgeable' here... but it certainly looks straightforward. Sometimes it really is an 'easy' fix.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:03 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I'm not 'knowledgeable' here... but it certainly looks straightforward. Sometimes it really is an 'easy' fix.
Agree. Is there something specific in that video you don't understand OP?

Old 08-06-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Well, done the way they said, everything is back in place, now to take that big moment and push the button, do that soon after I cool off.

Three things, though. First, it is never as easy as they show. Had to use a hammer to get the screws out after unbolted and it took a lot of brute force to get the railings back with each other, after the wheel was in, before rebolting.

Secondly, I suspect they had at least two people for the job.

Finally, safety. Remember one is dealing with a wheel to a several hundred pound door, at all times, keep your fingers out of the groove. I did, nothing happened, but I was rather frighten of the situation I was in.

EDIT: Well, the door works......for now. It may be time for a professional service check, though.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-06-2023 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-07-2023, 07:37 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
You need to figure out why it came out of the track. If you don't figure that out and fix that, then you'll just have the same issue again.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You need to figure out why it came out of the track. If you don't figure that out and fix that, then you'll just have the same issue again.
Good point and while there are some decent possibilities, it still might not be found. A lot of cargo was shifted around this weekend and that is now being moved out of where it landed.

STILL, with things in mind that something did it, plan on doing two things today on this unpacking aftermath day. One of them was stacked boxes atop the car not in use and did that brush against the door? Maybe so take them out of the picture by unpacking and putting into place.

The other, more in relation to this topic, is to take my scuba suits hanging from the back of the far, far from the wheel in question, railing and put them someplace else, not hanging on that. When this incident happened, it was right around when I was moving the loaded pickup into the garage and heard a large CLACK!. Okay, stopped, pulled back, checked all around but found nothing. Went back to putting the truck in the garage and there it was again but still couldn't find anything.

The only thing the truck could have hit were those scuba suits by brushing against them. It doesn't seem likely that could be near enough to torque the railings.....but who knows? And hence, remove what's not suppose to be there, anything remotely likely.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:29 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The bottom wheel came off the track. This video looks like the problem and the solution
https://youtu.be/lPdBullkxt8
To those who are knowledgeable in such areas, thoughts on what this video is saying?
IMO, the video shows the hard way to do it.

When my bottom wheel on my garage door came off the track, I just unbolted it from the door, then repositioned the wheel in the track and bolted it back onto the door. The track only has one concave edge, the other is a flat surface and the wheel can be simply slipped into place when it's not attached to the door.

Go back and look at the video, there's three orange bolts holding the wheel bracket to the door.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:32 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
E-z solution is to call a garage door company and have a tech come out and do a complete service job, around $60.00. They will lube or oil what needs to be done, check the rollers for cracks or wear, align the tracks, check the torsion bar etc etc. Good safety value.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
E-z solution is to call a garage door company and have a tech come out and do a complete service job, around $60.00. They will lube or oil what needs to be done, check the rollers for cracks or wear, align the tracks, check the torsion bar etc etc. Good safety value.
Well, if in anything else, one must understand that at the time, I was behind the lines of a wildfire, that if I didn't repair it myself and I had to bug out, I would be leaving the big door to my house wide open. Take your choice of fire, looters, or just creatures of the forest moving in, a DIY solution was rather needed.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:47 AM

2,038 posts, read 994,746 times
Electric opener?
Tilt up (Hollywood door) or roll up?
Have you checked the springs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House